掲示板

Selecting content from other communities

15年前 に Boden Larson によって更新されました。

Selecting content from other communities

Regular Member 投稿: 200 参加年月日: 08/07/10 最新の投稿
In portlets like Journal Content, it would be nice if it were more obvious that items outside of the current community can be accessed. Currently the user has to click the "Advanced" link by the search box and then choose the community with the desired item.

I've been working with Liferay non-stop for several weeks now and I just realized that this was possible. All this time I thought that journal articles were locked in to their home communities and couldn't be accessed elsewhere! I've got a lot of redundant garbage to clean up now emoticon

To me, a "Search" feature is for, well, searching. If I'm *browsing* a list of items, and there is no indication that more items are available, then I wouldn't think to check the search feature. A search feature shouldn't expose content that is hidden from regular browsing, it should search through the content that is being browsed. Know what I mean?

Anyhow, just adding that little community selection dropdown to the default browse view would fix the problem.
thumbnail
15年前 に Olaf Kock によって更新されました。

RE: Selecting content from other communities

Liferay Legend 投稿: 6403 参加年月日: 08/09/23 最新の投稿
Thanks a lot - I also couldn't find it. I agree that it could be better visible but I'm happy to finally know how articles from community A can be added to community B's pages.
+1 for making it more obvious.
15年前 に Lisa Simpson によって更新されました。

New Member 投稿: 13 参加年月日: 09/02/23 最新の投稿
*BUMP* This is not the most intuitive UI that I've ever encountered.
15年前 に Andrew Gruhn によって更新されました。

New Member 投稿: 17 参加年月日: 09/03/09 最新の投稿
Boden Larson:
I've been working with Liferay non-stop for several weeks now and I just realized that this was possible. All this time I thought that journal articles were locked in to their home communities and couldn't be accessed elsewhere! I've got a lot of redundant garbage to clean up now emoticon

To me, a "Search" feature is for, well, searching. If I'm *browsing* a list of items, and there is no indication that more items are available, then I wouldn't think to check the search feature. A search feature shouldn't expose content that is hidden from regular browsing, it should search through the content that is being browsed. Know what I mean?

This can be done!?! I'm trying it right now and can't for the life of me see how to search by ID or MyPlaces dropdown (or anything frankly)... Is there more info on this? Was this a "bug" that "got fixed?"
thumbnail

Andrew Gruhn:
This can be done!?! I'm trying it right now and can't for the life of me see how to search by ID or MyPlaces dropdown (or anything frankly)... Is there more info on this? Was this a "bug" that "got fixed?"

Hi,
it's there, just as Boden describes. Add a new "Web Content Display" portlet (assuming you're using 5.2.x, earlier it has been "Journal something") and "configure" this article. You get a default search display where you can search for Id - along with a short list of articles in the current community.
Click the "Advanced" link to get to the more verbose search form - there's a pulldown where you can select the community you're searching in, defaulting to the current community.
Answering your last question: I'd not name it a bug but a usability issue. It could be way more obvious by offering this as a default option in the "Basic" search form.
Cheers,
Olaf

Olaf -

Thanks for the quick reply. I hear everything you are saying, and have spent extensive time trying every possible combination I could think of, but for the life of me I still can't get this to work.

Having heard everything from the above post - is there anything I should do specifically around permissions? or is there a way that "search" might not be enabled?

From the Advanced Search, I change the dropdown box to select a new organization and get 0 results. I switch to Any, or add the ID number, or search for title, or any combination and I still get 0 results.

(but every time I search and get 0 results, the dropdown that would select organizations reverts to the organization I am in, not the one I wanted to search)... any thoughts?
thumbnail

Andrew Gruhn:
Thanks for the quick reply. I hear everything you are saying, and have spent extensive time trying every possible combination I could think of, but for the life of me I still can't get this to work.

Hi Andrew,
We are talking about this search form with the marked pulldown addressing some other community - right? (see the attachment to this message for a screenshot)
Cheers,
Olaf

Olaf -

We're talking about the same thing, but as I'm still getting the same issue I've documented it for the community. Is it a permissions issue? Is it a issue with the implementation of search within the portlet?

(and, you've gone above and beyond already - thank you for your time thus far)...
thumbnail
15年前 に James Min によって更新されました。

Expert 投稿: 293 参加年月日: 06/08/14 最新の投稿
This seems to have been fixed in the 5.2.x branch.

http://svn.liferay.com/repos/public/portal/branches/5.2.x/

Issue:
http://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-2220

You can check it out.

Also, in regards to a more intuitive interface. Would any of you mind sharing any proposals or ideas for this? We'd love to hear your suggestions and get a conversation going.

Thank you!
thumbnail

James Min:
Also, in regards to a more intuitive interface. Would any of you mind sharing any proposals or ideas for this? We'd love to hear your suggestions and get a conversation going.

Hi,
some ideas:
  • (no pun intendedemoticon Google has a nice search-ui: One field will get it all. Given that web content has full-text-indexes, this should be sufficient for the most usecases. The advanced search might still stay - might be beneficial for huge amounts of articles. Even google has their advanced search page.
  • If possible: Why not default to searching in the current community and display either "there are more results in (link) other communities that you have access to" or even displaying them right on, probably in a sortable table - e.g. sort by id, title, relevance, community, length, date, approval status...

I'd like the server to do some more work and present more results (if available) than I asked for...
I have no idea about performance implications, but given fulltext-indizes something should be possible.
Is this the right place for the ideas?

Cheers,
Olaf