New Liferay 6.1 Feature - Remote Development from Liferay IDE
Company Blogs 14 dicembre 2011 Da Gregory Amerson Staff
I'd like to mention one of the new features in the upcoming release of Liferay 6.1, which is the remote development and deployment support from Liferay IDE. The idea is that with this feature you can build Liferay projects in Liferay IDE like normal but instead of the Liferay server running locally it is running on a remote host. This is accomplished through two things, 1) new remote server adapter in Liferay IDE and 2) Server manager plugin (new in 6.1) deployed to the remote Liferay server
This feature will be officially available with the Liferay 6.1 CE release, but since it is only in beta, now is a good time to try it out and give feedback.
For those who wish to try this out here are the steps to setting it up.
1. Download the Liferay Portal 6.1 Beta4 Tomcat bundle (Only tomcat is supported in beta4, both JBoss and Glassfish will be supported by 6.1 GA release)
2. Start Tomcat bundle on remote host (or even localhost)
3. Download the Server Manager plugin for 6.1 Beta4 (This plugin provides the API needed by Liferay IDE to administer remote plugins)
4. Deploy Server Manager plugin into remote Tomcat server
6. Create a new server in Liferay IDE, File > New > Server > Liferay > Remote Liferay Server
7. Specify a local tomcat bundle for the runtime stub (this is needed for libraries to compile project)
8. Specify the IP address of remote tomcat server along with Omni admin username/password
Once you have done this you should see the server console log messages printed in the normal Eclipse console view.
9. Create and deploy Liferay projects as usual then publish (deploy) them to the server, see Liferay IDE getting started guide for a walkthrough of this.
Now when you modify files in your project, every 15 seconds it will publish the delta of any changes to remote server. However, you can publish changes immediately using the "publish" action in the servers view. If you want to change the automatic publish rate you can do that in the server configuration editor (double click server in Servers view).
Good luck and Happy Holidays!