Vista Combinata Vista Piatta Vista ad Albero
Discussioni [ Precedente | Successivo ]
toggle
Cameron McBride
Upgrade or Migrate from 6.0 EE sp2 to 6.1 beta?
18 ottobre 2011 13.38
Risposta

Cameron McBride

Punteggio: Expert

Data di Iscrizione: 8 febbraio 2011

Messaggi recenti

We are in a discovery phase for Liferay and are running the 6.0 EE sp2 version. The majority of missing features we see are included in 6.1 so we are excited to try out the beta. However, we do not want to lose all the "work" we have put into our demo version.

The first thing I tried was to place the fresh copy of 6.1 out there and point it at a copy of our 6.0 sp2 SQL Server database. I was under the impression that this would upgrade automatically. Well the upgrade part bombs out and the server doesn't start.

So now to plan B, a fresh install and a migration. I assume I can backup each site and community as a lar and import it, assuming it can handle the fact that there are not sites and communities anymore. Where I am stuck is how to move the user accounts over. I hate to make all of the users log in again and recreate all of their profiles, public/private pages, avatars etc.

What is the best procedure to migrateeverything?
- Sites
- Communities
- Documents
- User accounts
- User pages

Thanks!
Arvind Mishra
RE: Upgrade or Migrate from 6.0 EE sp2 to 6.1 beta?
20 ottobre 2011 6.33
Risposta

Arvind Mishra

Punteggio: Regular Member

Data di Iscrizione: 13 febbraio 2008

Messaggi recenti

Hi Cameroon

1) Migrating/Upgrading from Enterprise Edition to community edition is not advisable. I will suggest untill 6.1EE is released
2) As per my knowledge, export a lar from older version and import in to newer version of liferay wont work. LAR export/import only works in same version of Liferay.

Thanks
Arvind
James Falkner
20 ottobre 2011 13.14
Risposta

James Falkner

Community Moderator

Punteggio: Liferay Legend

Data di Iscrizione: 17 settembre 2010

Messaggi recenti

Cameron McBride:
We are in a discovery phase for Liferay and are running the 6.0 EE sp2 version. The majority of missing features we see are included in 6.1 so we are excited to try out the beta. However, we do not want to lose all the "work" we have put into our demo version.

The first thing I tried was to place the fresh copy of 6.1 out there and point it at a copy of our 6.0 sp2 SQL Server database. I was under the impression that this would upgrade automatically. Well the upgrade part bombs out and the server doesn't start.

So now to plan B, a fresh install and a migration. I assume I can backup each site and community as a lar and import it, assuming it can handle the fact that there are not sites and communities anymore. Where I am stuck is how to move the user accounts over. I hate to make all of the users log in again and recreate all of their profiles, public/private pages, avatars etc.

What is the best procedure to migrateeverything?
- Sites
- Communities
- Documents
- User accounts
- User pages

Thanks!

Hey Cameron.. while you would not want to run 6.1 Beta in production, we would be very interested in the issues you encountered during your failed upgrade. You are correct that in-place upgrade should work, and if it does not, it's a bug. Would you be willing to (privately) share your SQL server contents, or work with us to debug the upgrade issues? Upgrade should correctly handle your communities->sites (but there may be some cleanup you'd wish to do afterward if there are other issues after the upgrade).
Bart Simpson
20 ottobre 2011 21.43
Risposta

Bart Simpson

Punteggio: Liferay Master

Data di Iscrizione: 29 agosto 2011

Messaggi recenti

James,

I would be also very much interested in this. Can we share this in some manner? May be track issues via Jira?
Cameron McBride
21 ottobre 2011 15.11
Risposta

Cameron McBride

Punteggio: Expert

Data di Iscrizione: 8 febbraio 2011

Messaggi recenti

James Falkner:
Hey Cameron.. while you would not want to run 6.1 Beta in production, we would be very interested in the issues you encountered during your failed upgrade. You are correct that in-place upgrade should work, and if it does not, it's a bug. Would you be willing to (privately) share your SQL server contents, or work with us to debug the upgrade issues? Upgrade should correctly handle your communities->sites (but there may be some cleanup you'd wish to do afterward if there are other issues after the upgrade).

I would be glad to do all of that. We are actually still in a discovery and implementation phase of Liferay and are not in production yet. What we have is a "demo" that we have set up using 6.0EE sp2. We are using it to demo to management and stakeholders in the company. The big thing that we encounter in every demo is that search and document management is seriously lacking compared to other products, as I'm sure you have heard before. 6.1 search and document management is so amazing that we wanted to get our demo upgraded to it as soon as possible, to use it for a demo instead.

What I did was I copied my entire database into another database, extracted 6.1, deleted the 6.1 directories that keep things from running, pointed it at my copied database and fired it up. I can recreate that fresh and provide you with any and all of the data.
James Falkner
21 ottobre 2011 15.56
Risposta

James Falkner

Community Moderator

Punteggio: Liferay Legend

Data di Iscrizione: 17 settembre 2010

Messaggi recenti

Cameron McBride:
James Falkner:

I would be glad to do all of that. We are actually still in a discovery and implementation phase of Liferay and are not in production yet. What we have is a "demo" that we have set up using 6.0EE sp2. We are using it to demo to management and stakeholders in the company. The big thing that we encounter in every demo is that search and document management is seriously lacking compared to other products, as I'm sure you have heard before. 6.1 search and document management is so amazing that we wanted to get our demo upgraded to it as soon as possible, to use it for a demo instead.

What I did was I copied my entire database into another database, extracted 6.1, deleted the 6.1 directories that keep things from running, pointed it at my copied database and fired it up. I can recreate that fresh and provide you with any and all of the data.

Ok sure, ideally if you zip up your Liferay installation (including any customized settings in portal-ext.properties), and provide an SQL dump (I'm not sure how one would dump the contents of an sql server database), we can get started. I suggest using something like wetransfer.com to send the (large) files.
Jordi Buendia
17 novembre 2011 10.21
Risposta

Jordi Buendia

Punteggio: New Member

Data di Iscrizione: 8 novembre 2011

Messaggi recenti

Hello,

I am discovering both Liferay and Web Developpement and I am interested too in migrate from 6.0 EE SP2 to 6.1 Beta 4. My purpose is similar than Mr Cameron Mc Bride, that is make better a demo page.

I was following the instructions I found in the following thread but in the first step some trouble happened: when executing the sql script mentioned in the thread i get many errors in the MySQL log. ¿Is it normal? ¿Should I continue with the upgrade process?

I am attaching the MySQL log I get

Thank you for your help.
Allegati: logMysqlUpgradeScript.txt (17,1k)