Ken Thompson
Inter-site communication model
2 maggio 2013 6.07
Risposta

Ken Thompson

Punteggio: New Member

Data di Iscrizione: 19 marzo 2013

Messaggi recenti

I would like portlets within individual sites within our portal to make items (documents, media, alerts, web content, etc.) available to other sites. For example, users in the HR site might produce content that is HR focused. Users in other sites, (such as the IT or Finance populations) would see that content in the news, document & media, and alert portlets without having to go to the HR site. There seem to be several possibilities for accomplishing this including:

1. Sharing portlets between sights
2. Using the HR portlet to publish an RSS feed that is consumed by a portlet in the target site.
3. Persisting data from the HR portlet in a store that is accessible by other site portlets.

I have 3 questions about this:

1. Are there other options available that we have not considered?
2. What are the most typical approaches used for this sort of activity?
3. Was there an architectural design intent for supporting inter-site communication?

Thanks for your feedback!

Regards,

Ken
Ken Thompson
RE: Inter-site communication model
9 maggio 2013 4.17
Risposta

Ken Thompson

Messaggi recenti

Wow...148 people have looked at this post and nobody even has a comment? Is this typical for the Liferay community?
Paul Robinson
10 maggio 2013 1.24
Risposta

Paul Robinson

Punteggio: Junior Member

Data di Iscrizione: 29 dicembre 2008

Messaggi recenti

G'day Ken,

I've had similar requirements on many Liferay deployments and I will often use the Asset Publisher portlet to aggregate content from multiple sources of multiple types. The Asset Publisher in my view is probably one of the best portlets in Liferay, a lot of customisation and we find it pretty easy to extend through hooks. I can from within the asset publisher select

Content Type (s)
If Web Content or Documents, I can select the sub-structure or type e.g. an FAQ
Scope of content e.g. which site to aggregate

There are whole lot of display controls as well.

I am assuming you're using 6.1, apologies if you're not.

For common content, we also make use of the Global context, which makes it easy to share content across multiple sites. 6.2 apparently has sub-sites which makes syndicating content between sites even easier, I've not yet tested this functionality.

Cheers,
Paul
Vilmos Papp
10 maggio 2013 2.30
Risposta

Vilmos Papp

LIFERAY STAFF

Punteggio: Liferay Master

Data di Iscrizione: 21 ottobre 2010

Messaggi recenti

Hi Ken,

If you want to share data between sites perhaps the easiest way is to create the content in the Global scope.
Ken Thompson
10 maggio 2013 4.00
Risposta

Ken Thompson

Messaggi recenti

Thanks for the pointers guys. That's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. Since nobody said "Check out the section on inter-site communication at <link>", and my site searches came up empty, I assume there really isn't a document that lays out the Liferay communications model. Is that a fair statement?
Juan Gonzalez
10 maggio 2013 4.36
Risposta

Juan Gonzalez

LIFERAY STAFF

Punteggio: Liferay Legend

Data di Iscrizione: 28 ottobre 2008

Messaggi recenti

BTW, next version (6.2) will have nested sites, and there can configure which Site will share contents to their child Sites.

You can download 6.2.0 M5 and test if you want.
Ken Thompson
10 maggio 2013 4.43
Risposta

Ken Thompson

Messaggi recenti

Thanks Juan! Is there any design documentation that describes how the new model should work?