Forums de discussion

Liferay IDE 6.2 in Exclipse Oxygen 4.7

Andreas Wittig, modifié il y a 6 années.

Liferay IDE 6.2 in Exclipse Oxygen 4.7

New Member Publications: 3 Date d'inscription: 01/06/17 Publications récentes
Is it possible to use Liferay IDE 6.2 CE with the new Eclipse Oxygen (4.7)?
Are there experiences?
thumbnail
Andrew Jardine, modifié il y a 6 années.

RE: Liferay IDE 6.2 in Exclipse Oxygen 4.7

Liferay Legend Publications: 2416 Date d'inscription: 22/12/10 Publications récentes
Hi Andreas,

I can't speak to Oxygene specifically, but I can say that I have used (past 2.x) versions of the IDE on versions of eclipse that were not officially supported -- with some success. I switched to using Intellij a while back now so I don't recall all my experiences in depth but I think most of the time I was able to work with the plugins without issue. There was one version I tried to use (Mars maybe?) in advance of supported plugins that didn't seem to go very well -- but even then it wasn't that EVERYTHING failed. When I was using the IDE I used the plugins into an existing eclipse almost exclusively as there were so many other plugins that I also used at the time.

I guess, this might now really help, but -- I would say, jut give it a shot. You can probably generate all the different plugin types, server management, etc in less than 30 minutes and if all of that works out (which is the main benefit of using the IDE until you memorize all the settings/structures) then you are probably fine to use it.

Alternatively, if you are working with 7, you can always skip the IDE and just use blade to generate your projects and then import them into the IDE. Personally I think that this is a great approach if you are trying to learn a new version of the product as it forces you to learn all the things that the IDE hides from you through magic.
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modifié il y a 6 années.

Liferay Master Publications: 978 Date d'inscription: 03/01/10 Publications récentes
I switched to using IntelliJ a while back too and can't see myself going back to Eclipse, ever.
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Publications: 2416 Date d'inscription: 22/12/10 Publications récentes
Personally, I have a love hate relationship with Eclipse. With that said, there are some definite benefits to people who are new to Liferay as the IDE does allow you to be productive and get the ends results without seeing how the sausage gets made so to speak. So for me, I always recommend it to my clients dev teams until they understand more of the platform and how things work behind the scenes. I think most devs, once familiar with the config files, where they go, the DTD structures (or annotations nowadays) they will choose to work with something else.

My real beef with Eclipse, apart from the memory piggy it can be, is the fact that there is not full operational dark theme that can be applied. I had one once almost completely working, but it took so much monkeying around with different colours and settings -- it was a nightmare compared to the 3 - 4 clicks to enable "dracula" on intellij.

Intellij is not without it's own faults (use the terminal window and hit ctrl-s by accident -- it disables the feakin' keyboard! you have to stop all processes and restart intellij to get it working again!) but they are few and far between from eclipse.
thumbnail
Gregory Amerson, modifié il y a 6 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 1123 Date d'inscription: 16/02/10 Publications récentes
For dark theme on Eclipse the Genuitec guys have nailed it here: https://www.genuitec.com/tech/darkest-dark/

The latest IDE 3.1 https://web.liferay.com/downloads/liferay-projects/liferay-ide

It should be compatible with Oxygen 4.7
Andreas Wittig, modifié il y a 6 années.

New Member Publications: 3 Date d'inscription: 01/06/17 Publications récentes
Oxygen comes with a re-worked dark theme. Anyway it looks very very similiar to the genuitec one.
thumbnail

Cool! I didn't know that. I abandoned eclipse about 3 years ago now so I never thought to go back and see if someone ever got a dark theme working. I'll check it out -- thanks guys!
thumbnail

Liferay Master Publications: 978 Date d'inscription: 03/01/10 Publications récentes
When I first started developing over Liferay, I found Liferay IDE/Studio over Eclipse useful.

Now I find IntelliJ IDEA to be much superior to Eclipse not just for back-end Java dev, but also for front-end dev. Though for only front-end dev, Sublime might be a good choice. IntelliJ IDEA is also good for me as I trip into golang dev and don't want to deal with too many different IDEs. Running multiple workspaces in IntelliJ IDEA is a very attractive feature.

For someone just getting into Liferay, I'd like to think that using Eclipse provides some useful wizardry but I can't comment in detail as I haven't used more recent versions of Liferay IDEs.
thumbnail
Andy Wu, modifié il y a 6 années.

Regular Member Publications: 195 Date d'inscription: 05/05/15 Publications récentes
glad to hear your feedback , feel free to post more suggestions.
By the way , could you share more detail about why IDEA is much superior to Eclipse ?
Maybe we can improve it in LIferay-IDE.
thumbnail

Andy Wu:

By the way , could you share more detail about why IDEA is much superior to Eclipse ?

For those who haven't worked with IntelliJ IDEA , and are looking to superficially compare IntelliJ IDEA with Eclipse, I recommend:

- comparing market share of each over the last few years
- google Eclipse vs. IntelliJ

If you are an Eclipse user and are curious about IntellIJ IDEA, try it for a while.

Andy Wu:

Maybe we can improve it in LIferay-IDE.

I don't understand this statement given Liferay IDE is developed for Eclipse. Is Liferay considering developing a Liferay IDE plugin for IntelliJ ? emoticon
thumbnail

Regular Member Publications: 195 Date d'inscription: 05/05/15 Publications récentes
Ok ,I mean , if Intellij has some good feature than Eclipse , maybe we can accomplish this in liferay-ide for eclipse.
thumbnail

Hey Andy,

Honestly I don't think it comes down to one or two things. Intellij is just a better user experience overall. The importer, the settings, the git tooling etc. I think the biggest win (or something that makes it easier for them to win) is the fact that it is a proprietary product at the end of the day. Like Jack, and most others, my beef with eclipse is not with the liferay plugins, it's with the rest of it. Its slower, it uses more resources and it often feels (when compared to intellij) like you're Neo from the matrix trying to bend the spoon with your mind emoticon

Eclipse is free and that combined with the liferay plugins is the carrot for most. But I think intellij licensing is cheap and worth the cost. I'm with Jack. Port the plugins to intellij .. other than that, you'd have to start contributing to the eclipse project I think.
thumbnail

Thanks for your feedback Andrew emoticon
thumbnail

Andrew Jardine:
3 - 4 clicks to enable "dracula" on intellij

Darcula !