Forums de discussion

House keeping after migration

thumbnail
Marco Ferretti, modifié il y a 7 années.

House keeping after migration

Regular Member Publications: 100 Date d'inscription: 04/10/10 Publications récentes
Hi all

first of all, I am not 100% sure this is the right place to post this question: in case it is the wrong thread/forum, please point me to the right place.

I was assigned the task to migrate an instance of Liferay 6.0.6 CE to the latest available production ready version. As far as I can tell I will have to migrate to Liferay 6.2 and then, eventually, migrate to version 7 (will check if it's stable enough for the purpose).
My main problem here is that this instance has been migrated over time first to version 4.x then to version 5.2 then to version 6. As far as I can tell the document library and image gallery have been migrated to several hooks.
Now, during the test migration to version 6.2 I can see quite a lot of warning about missing documents and images.
I am wondering : is there any chance that a procedure to clean the database exists and that I can put in place before migrating ?

The goal here would be to have an instance that is as clean as possible.

Thanks in advance for any hints you can provide.

Marco F.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modifié il y a 7 années.

RE: House keeping after migration

Liferay Legend Publications: 14914 Date d'inscription: 02/09/06 Publications récentes
Well, each of those errors are actually quite valid - they indicate that some record, maybe even some web content or something, has a dependency on a missing file.

As to how to fix this problem, you have a couple of choices.

• Find and restore the file to satisfy the dependency.
  • Find the record(s) in the db and delete or modify them, resolving all other dependencies and manually do a "cascading delete" like process (since Liferay doesn't use cascading deletes in the DB ).

There's no automated way of doing this because the code has no idea if the reference should be deleted or restored or modified, it's really going to be up to you to make these fixes.

I do recommend making the changes in the lower version and re-do the upgrade afterwards. The upgrade points out issues that otherwise may not be reported, so fixing the issues and then upgrading will show you when/if you've nailed them all. And it may reveal cascading data issues that might otherwise not be reported.

Certainly having a clean upgrade to 6.2 will put you in a better position for a clean upgrade to 7.0.

So you don't want to do your housekeeping after an upgrade, you want to do the housecleaning before and treat the upgrade as a verification process.
thumbnail
Marco Ferretti, modifié il y a 7 années.

Regular Member Publications: 100 Date d'inscription: 04/10/10 Publications récentes
Hi David,

thanks for the reply and sorry for the late aknowledge ...
I have managed to migrate to version 6.2 (thanks !!!) and am in the process of trying to upgrade to version 7.
I *think* there's a bug with the migration tool with respect to generating the configuration for a postgresql db. Do you have any suggestion as where to post this ?

Cheers,

Marco
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modifié il y a 7 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 14914 Date d'inscription: 02/09/06 Publications récentes
Probably the install/setup category...