Forums de discussion

Lifera portal 6.2 EE hardware requirements

thumbnail
Anna Pakkala, modifié il y a 7 années.

Lifera portal 6.2 EE hardware requirements

New Member Publications: 16 Date d'inscription: 15/08/13 Publications récentes
After much searching and no luck, I accidentally stumbled upon this link which appears to be exactly what I need (I am setting up a new server and I need to know the specs asap).

However, link is broken. https://www.liferay.com/resource?folderId=1645493&title=Liferay+Portal+EE+Reference+Architecture+&+Hardware+Requirements

The page is showing up blank. So what are the requirements, anyone have those at hand? emoticon
thumbnail
Samuel Kong, modifié il y a 7 années.

RE: Lifera portal 6.2 EE hardware requirements

Liferay Legend Publications: 1902 Date d'inscription: 10/03/08 Publications récentes
Hi Anna

I've reported the issue to the web team and they should be fixing the issue soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.
thumbnail

Thanks!

I just need some sort of rough outline on the minimum reqs, we are a pretty small org , with not much traffic so I'm planning on ~doubling those specs and that's pretty much the extent of it. I seem to recall a seeing a value of 8GB memory but can't remember if it's the bare minimum or recommended. Our needs are pretty basic as i said. Test env has 8GB memory and I am doubtful if that would be enough for prod. For 6.1 version 8GB was/is more than enough.

edit. I mean if 8GB does not seem to be enough for test, are we doing something very wrong or are we way behind the recommended specs?
thumbnail
Samuel Kong, modifié il y a 7 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 1902 Date d'inscription: 10/03/08 Publications récentes
Hi Anna,

The link to the whitepaper should be fixed. However, please don't use the link you posted above. Instead, go to https://www.liferay.com/resources?93350categoryIds=93355 and select the whitepaper again.
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modifié il y a 7 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 6403 Date d'inscription: 23/09/08 Publications récentes
Anna Pakkala:
I mean if 8GB does not seem to be enough for test, are we doing something very wrong or are we way behind the recommended specs?

There are no recommended specs. There are a few scenarios that we can describe, but it all depends on the requirements of the plugins that you have deployed (potentially custom), their memory/IO/CPU requirements. There are installations that run well on 1 or 2G, while others won't keep up well with 8G of memory. Others couldn't care less about the available memory, but first max out the CPU or the machine's I/O or the database or their connected legacy system.
thumbnail

I understand the point about "it depends", really, even though it may not seem like it emoticon

We are planning on going with a pretty much out-of-the box setup (tomcat bundle + mysql), with a small user base. Maybe one or two extra portlets (wiki navigation & members-portlet, neither of which is resource intensive). So this is why I don't really need any extensive calculations, just the bare minimum + then some, to be on the safe side. Just a very regular no hassle, no bells and whistles type of installation.

So are you saying that 2GB could be enough to run Liferay Portal 6.2 with this spec? Because I could not even get it to start on a 4GB (albeit 32-bit/3Gemoticon laptop whereas 6.1 ran smoothly enough for development.
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Publications: 6403 Date d'inscription: 23/09/08 Publications récentes
Anna Pakkala:
So are you saying that 2GB could be enough to run Liferay Portal 6.2 with this spec? Because I could not even get it to start on a 4GB (albeit 32-bit/3Gemoticon laptop whereas 6.1 ran smoothly enough for development.

Were you running out of memory? And if so: Were you running out of HeapSpace or PermGen (in case you ran on Java7)? I routinely run small installations (demo/development) with 1G of heapspace - and in rare cases where this is not enough, doubling it is typically more than enough. The default settings in setenv.sh/setenv.bat of the tomcat bundle might be too low - especially the PermGen setting. Don't increase HeapSpace when you're running out of PermGen.

You won't get a quote from me that "this is enough" though - too many "it depends" situations and criteria in there.
thumbnail

Olaf Kock:
Anna Pakkala:

Were you running out of memory? And if so: Were you running out of HeapSpace or PermGen (in case you ran on Java7)? I routinely run small installations (demo/development) with 1G of heapspace - and in rare cases where this is not enough, doubling it is typically more than enough. The default settings in setenv.sh/setenv.bat of the tomcat bundle might be too low - especially the PermGen setting. Don't increase HeapSpace when you're running out of PermGen.

You won't get a quote from me that "this is enough" though - too many "it depends" situations and criteria in there.

Yes, out of memory tho cant remember anymore whether it was heap or PermGen. Have since upgraded laptop to 64bit/16GB which got rid of the issue without changing settings.

32bit with a total of 3GB usable memory just doesn't cut it anymore for ANY purpose IMHO emoticon

I've ordered a VM with 16GB which I deduce to be enough at this time (and which can be tweaked and upgraded if necessary).
thumbnail

Anna Pakkala:
32bit with a total of 3GB usable memory just doesn't cut it anymore for ANY purpose IMHO emoticon

Somehow I've always completely missed the 32bit statement above. Yes: This is absolutely true. If you add Windows to that stack, you'll end up with a limited amount of memory being available anyway - it's maximum 1.5G if you're lucky and allocate the memory right after startup, when not a lot of other background tasks have fragmented the memory. I'm just assuming 64bit for a server platform these days - obviously even if you explicitly mention 32bit.
thumbnail

As the web team is on it: You can also contact your sales rep or account manager to get hold of the document if you need it quicker.

Note that the basic answer is "it depends" - and the whitepaper can only describe different scenarios and their requirements. You'd still have to check where you fit into the picture (e.g. do you have a largely static, anonymously used site, or highly interactive permission checked content? Slow backend systems? How much customization and what kind of tuning have you done / will you do?

Those are the situations that the whitepaper will outline. They're typically a good starting point to discover your specific needs.