Forums de discussion

Update session variable using Ajax

Nate Shaw, modifié il y a 13 années.

Update session variable using Ajax

Junior Member Publications: 49 Date d'inscription: 26/10/10 Publications récentes
I am looking to try to update a session variable when a user clicks a button on a page (JavaScript Ajax call in a custom theme). Is there a way that I can accomplish this using a service or some other built-in Liferay functionality? Or, will I have to write my own Java code to accomplish this?

I understand the JavaScript side of things fine. What I really need to know is if there is something I can call in Liferay to update the session variable. If there is not, what do I need to do to write my own class to do this?

Below is the JavaScript code I have written. Note the onClose function where the Ajax call will need to take place.

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
		AUI().use('liferay-notice', function(A){
			new Liferay.Notice({
				content: "Your password will expire in ${passwordExpiresDays} days! <a href='$resetPasswordUrl' target='_blank'>Reset it now</a> ",
				toggleText: false,
				//noticeClass: "$noticeClass",
				type: "$noticeType",
				closeText: "Dismiss",
				onClose: function(){
					//need to use Ajax to set "showPasswordExpirationNotice" session variable to false. How do I do this???
					alert("dismissing notice");
				}
			});
		});
	</script>

Thanks for the help!
thumbnail
Nate Cavanaugh, modifié il y a 13 années.

RE: Update session variable using Ajax

Junior Member Publications: 94 Date d'inscription: 27/11/06 Publications récentes
Hi Nate,
We have something pretty close, but I don't know if it's 100% what you want. It might get you part of the way there.

We have something that's called session_clicks, but it's actually persisted across sessions (it's kind of like setting a user preference).

What you could do is set this on close, and then on login reset it back to true.

Here's how you could do this:

A.io.request(
		themeDisplay.getPathMain() + '/portal/session_click',
			{
				data: {
					'showPasswordExpirationNotice': false
				}
			}
	);
}

Though you would just need to make sure that somewhere in your code, on login, you're setting:

SessionClicks.put(request, 'showPasswordExpirationNotice', Boolean.FALSE.toString());

Does that make sense?

Its a slightly different way to do it, but otherwise, you would need to wireup you're own class.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks Nate,

Junior Member Publications: 49 Date d'inscription: 26/10/10 Publications récentes
Thanks Nate. I am a bit confused though. Are you saying that I have to set the session variable on login so that it exists and can be set later by the Ajax call?

Would I get at this session variable through the usual method, i.e.

$request.getSession().getAttribute("showPasswordExpirationNotice"))

Also, I assume you meant to set the var to true below, not false?

SessionClicks.put(request, 'showPasswordExpirationNotice', Boolean.FALSE.toString());

Thanks for the help!

I cannot get this to work.

We are setting "showPasswordExpirationNotice" on user log-in to "true". I tried using both false and 'false' below as the value for "showPasswordExpirationNotice" that is sent by the Ajax call and it does not make a difference. The Ajax call seems to be sent properly according to what I see in Firebug (no errors), but $showNotice is always true in my debugging output. As you can see, I also tried getting "showPasswordExpirationNotice" out of the HttpSession, but that does not work either.

##set($showNotice = $request.getSession().getAttribute("showPasswordExpirationNotice"))
#set($showNotice = $sessionClicks.get($request,"showPasswordExpirationNotice",""))

new Liferay.Notice({
    content: "Your password will expire in ${passwordExpiresDays} days! <a href="$resetPasswordUrl" target="_blank">Reset it now</a> ",
    noticeClass: '$noticeClass',
    toggleText: false,
    type: "Test",
    closeText: "Dismiss",
        //use Ajax to set "showPasswordExpirationNotice" session variable to false
	A.io.request(
	    themeDisplay.getPathMain() + '/portal/session_click',
	    {
	        data: {
                    'showPasswordExpirationNotice': 'false'
		}
	    }
 	);
    }
});

show notice: ${showNotice}

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, if anything and do not see any documentation on session clicks anywhere, so I can't really do much else on this myself. I appreciate any insight you all can provide!
thumbnail
Kyrre Myrbostad, modifié il y a 12 années.

Junior Member Publications: 37 Date d'inscription: 21/01/09 Publications récentes
Hi,
any progress on this? I'm trying the same aproach as you but I'm having trouble setting the value on login. Using a PostLoginHook and the following code:

SessionClicks.put(request, "current_role", "Ansatt");

this generates a nullpointer exeption when the SessionClicks class is trying to get the portalpreferences. Did you use another method to set the value on login?
Nate Shaw, modifié il y a 12 années.

I could never get this to work, so I ended up using a cookie instead to store the state I wanted to track.
thumbnail
Bradley Wood, modifié il y a 9 années.

New Member Publications: 3 Date d'inscription: 29/07/14 Publications récentes
@Nate did anything change for Liferay 6.2 for session clicks?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modifié il y a 9 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 14915 Date d'inscription: 02/09/06 Publications récentes
Seems like this support was removed some time ago, there's no reference to a SessionClick javascript object that I can find.