Forums de discussion

Is Windows Liferay portal 6.2 to slow for mobile web support?

Anders Gerdin, modifié il y a 8 années.

Is Windows Liferay portal 6.2 to slow for mobile web support?

New Member Publications: 5 Date d'inscription: 13/03/12 Publications récentes
I´m thinking about adding mobile web support for all smartphone browsers,(Liferay multi-device extension, http://milen.commsen.com/2011/03/liferay-multidevice-extension.html), to Liferay portal 6.06 or I could Upgrade to Liferay portal 6.2, but when I compared the windows version of Liferay portal 6.06 and Windows version of Liferay portal 6.2 on my pc.
Liferay portal 6.06 was considerable faster than 6.2 when open pages, edit pages.
Is it worth to upgrade?
Is it better to add smartphone funtionality to Liferay portal 6.06?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modifié il y a 8 années.

RE: Is Windows Liferay portal 6.2 to slow for mobile web support?

Liferay Legend Publications: 14914 Date d'inscription: 02/09/06 Publications récentes
you won't be opening pages/editing pages on the mobile, just browsing. Check what actually matters.

Performance is not just an out of the box concern, either. Me, I prefer a varnish cache layer in front of Liferay to support caching, and you can also use apache httpd for serving up static assets (like css, js, images, etc).

Ultimately you are more in control of performance measurement and tuning than Liferay is...

So in your opinion I would benefit from upgrading to Liferay portal 6.2 with varnish cache and static assets and get same or better perfomance than Liferay portal 6.0.6?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modifié il y a 8 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 14914 Date d'inscription: 02/09/06 Publications récentes
Anders Gerdin:
So in your opinion I would benefit from upgrading to Liferay portal 6.2 with varnish cache and static assets and get same or better perfomance than Liferay portal 6.0.6?

Well honestly 6.0.6 w/ varnish in front of it would beat both. Varnish as a caching appliance will save any version of Liferay (or other web application server) from having to re-serve static resources so it can improve performance of pretty much everything it's fronting.

My original point was that you can't just drop in Liferay into tomcat and say your work is done, especially when performance is your goal. There's things you can put in front of Liferay to make it better, things you can put behind Liferay to make it better, and things you can do to Liferay to make it better.
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez, modifié il y a 8 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 3089 Date d'inscription: 28/10/08 Publications récentes
Anders Gerdin:

Liferay portal 6.06 was considerable faster than 6.2 when open pages, edit pages.
Is it worth to upgrade?
Is it better to add smartphone funtionality to Liferay portal 6.06?

Hi Anders,

I think it isn't fair to compare those versions. There had been tons of new features and improvements from 6.0.6 to 6.2, and things that can save you a lot of time (for example, Bootstrap for responsive web development).

Additionally, you may take your navigation tests once you visit the same pages between both versions at least once, as there are many cached resources that only will be requested the first time.

Yes, I suspected that, in your opinion would I benefit from upgrading to Liferay portal 6.2 and get same or better perfomance than Liferay portal 6.0.6 and new features and improvements ?
Are these among the best instructions to do it(https://www.liferay.com/documentation/liferay-portal/6.2/user-guide/-/ai/upgrading-liferay-liferay-portal-6-2-user-guide-18-en)?