Forums de discussion

New Microsoft Language Portal available

thumbnail
Corné A, modifié il y a 13 années.

New Microsoft Language Portal available

Liferay Legend Publications: 1313 Date d'inscription: 03/10/06 Publications récentes
Hi you all I use the Microsoft Language Portal extensivly for the tech words.

Just to inform you the have a new system and a compleet download in TBX format

http://www.microsoft.com/language/en-us/Search.aspx?sString=afroepen&langID=nl-nl
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modifié il y a 13 années.

RE: New Microsoft Language Portal available

Liferay Legend Publications: 7942 Date d'inscription: 24/03/10 Publications récentes
I'm just wondering if Liferay is using this to do some of the automatic translation.

May be you should put some reference to using MS words and a link to that page in the translation guideline. There's several English to Japanese translation dictionaries (e.g. one for linux developers) and it would really improve quality if there a mention of using MS translation dictionary.
thumbnail
Jonathon Omahen, modifié il y a 13 années.

Junior Member Publications: 31 Date d'inscription: 28/09/09 Publications récentes
The MS resource is really just put forth as a useful reference for translators during the process. The only resource utilised in automated translation, as far as I remember, is Google Translation.

It is an imperfect solution, but it provides something, and a starting point for better translation.

AS far as English-Japanese is concerned, wouldn't the JDIC dictionaries from EDICT/COMPDICT offer better translations/phrases?
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Publications: 7942 Date d'inscription: 24/03/10 Publications récentes
Jonathon Omahen:
AS far as English-Japanese is concerned, wouldn't the JDIC dictionaries from EDICT/COMPDICT offer better translations/phrases?

Most end-users are comfortable with using MS Windows. IMHO, we shouldn't be looking for a better translation but for a better wording which end-users are able to recognize.
thumbnail

Junior Member Publications: 31 Date d'inscription: 28/09/09 Publications récentes
Hitoshi Ozawa:
Jonathon Omahen:

Most end-users are comfortable with using MS Windows. IMHO, we shouldn't be looking for a better translation but for a better wording which end-users are able to recognize.

Wording, better known as style, syntax and lexical choice, is part of the translation process. Translation does not simply involve translating words into rough equivalencies, it involves transposing thoughts, ideas and style as well. Sometimes that means using words that have no equivalent in the source language, or a phrasing that wouldn't work in the source language, but feels great in the target language. All translators have to face these tough choices, so yes, I agree that no one's efforts should be focused on just finder a "better word" for it, but a better way to say it.

Good observation ^_^
thumbnail

There's also one another point to checking the final output. The pages are formatted for the default language. If the translated text is much longer then the default word(s), the page layout is ruined.
Two options are:
1. Make the translation length nearly equivalent as the default word(s). (remember different fonts may be in different sizes.)
2. Create a layout for the translated page.

I think MS Visual Studio went with method 2 of having page layout for each language. I'm going with creating a css for pages that doesn't look right.
thumbnail

BTW, attached is the Japanese Liferay portal.properties file.
It's a shame that role description is hard coded in this file instead of the Language.properties file.
thumbnail

For your reference, I'm attaching a screen shot of a Japanese translated page with wrong formatting. There is some serious formatting problem with thius page.

Pièces jointes:

thumbnail
Julio Camarero, modifié il y a 13 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 1668 Date d'inscription: 15/07/08 Publications récentes
Hi Hitoshi,

I have created this ticket and assigned to me to fix it for the next release: LPS-12904

Regarding your last message, as I don't understand Japanese, I don't understand what the issue is with the screenshot, can you explain a bit more?

thank you!
thumbnail
Corné Aussems, modifié il y a 13 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 1313 Date d'inscription: 03/10/06 Publications récentes
IMHO Automated translation is impossible and shouldn't be done at all.

Ther's is absolutelly no help in the auto translated sentences, i remove them and translate from the orginal english.
thumbnail

Corne,

I understand that from a translator's perspective, you won't reuse automated translations at all, and will likely start from sratch. However, from a usability and community perspective, having something in a language is a better starting point than nothing. emoticon

I also appreciate all the work you've put into translations, and how seriously you take it. emoticon

Dank U wel
thumbnail

Jonathon Omahen:
I understand that from a translator's perspective, you won't reuse automated translations at all, and will likely start from sratch. However, from a usability and community perspective, having something in a language is a better starting point than nothing. emoticon

I agree with you on this. With no translation, end-users won't look at it. With automatic translation, they'll at least look at it before deciding it's useless.

There probably is higher tendency for people to help out with the translation if there is "something" in their own language.

I agree with Corne that almost all but the most simple single word automatic translation are useless and deleted.
thumbnail
Corné Aussems, modifié il y a 13 années.

Because of the often lousy translation i myself don't understand what's been said, so i look it up in the main Language file and translate it from there.

It should be relatively easy to copy the original text after (Automatic Translation - ) emoticon
thumbnail

Corné Aussems:
Because of the often lousy translation i myself don't understand what's been said, so i look it up in the main Language file and translate it from there.

It should be relatively easy to copy the original text after (Automatic Translation - ) emoticon

Hehe, I really understand that emoticon