Forums de discussion

5.2.3 tag & 5.2.x branch : which one is more stable?

thumbnail
Paul B., modifié il y a 14 années.

5.2.3 tag & 5.2.x branch : which one is more stable?

New Member Publications: 18 Date d'inscription: 29/07/09 Publications récentes
Hi everybody,

As the title suggests, between the 5.2.3 tag and the 5.2.x branch that we can see in the SVN repository, I was wondering which one is the most stable? (ie. future production environment intended).

Subsidiary question: If the 5.2.x branch version is the latest, does it means it's equivalent to the 5.2.4 EE version (or later) which is not available in the tags folder ?

Many thanks
thumbnail
Alexey Kakunin, modifié il y a 14 années.

RE: 5.2.3 tag & 5.2.x branch : which one is more stable?

Liferay Master Publications: 621 Date d'inscription: 07/07/08 Publications récentes
Hi!
If you can simple get latest revision from 5.2.x branch and get 5.2.4 EE - why Liferay asked money for Enterprise Edition? emoticon

I think - tagget version is always more stable then some branch revision (including trunk) - just because before tagging usually some additional test process passed (like regression testing and so on). Of course you can try experiment with each revision in 5.2.x branch trying to identify which one related to 5.2.4 EE (and stable enough) - but - are you really sure you want spent time for it?
thumbnail
Paul B., modifié il y a 14 années.

New Member Publications: 18 Date d'inscription: 29/07/09 Publications récentes
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
I was just asking this question out of curiosity. In fact, while browsing the SVN, I saw that the 5.2.3 tag and 5.2.x branch had some little differences. Since the current trunk is 5.3.x, I wondered why they still made changes on 5.2.x....

Well, I'm working on 5.2.3 right now for a tiny intranet, and as you said, I don't feel like changing version just for fun.
thumbnail
Brett Swaim, modifié il y a 14 années.

Regular Member Publications: 112 Date d'inscription: 14/04/06 Publications récentes
To clarify, if you get the latest 5.2.x you will be at a pretty stable version which is farther along than 5.2.4EE. The reason we charge for EE is that you get custom support tickets and hot patches which you do not get by simply downloading the latest. EE is not really a special branch of code more than it is a very stable branch from 5.2.x which includes support. Everything that gets checked into an EE build gets put in 5.2.x first, so you will have the absolute latest. As with all non-EE builds, we give no guarantee of stability.
thumbnail
Jonas Yuan, modifié il y a 14 années.

Liferay Master Publications: 993 Date d'inscription: 27/04/07 Publications récentes
Good point! Thank you, Brett.

Jonas Yuan
-----------------
Liferay Books

Liferay Portal 5.2 Systems Development
Liferay Portal Enterprise Intranets