Forums de discussion

Minimum RAM Requirements for LR 5.2.3

thumbnail
Maneesha Nitin Rao, modifié il y a 14 années.

Minimum RAM Requirements for LR 5.2.3

New Member Publications: 23 Date d'inscription: 18/10/08 Publications récentes
Hello everybody,

What is the minimum RAM required to successfully install LR 5.2.3?

I have 512MB RAM .I am getting the following error while setting up the LR5.2.3.

Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not reserve enough space for object heap
Could not create the Java virtual machine

Any hints would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Maneesha Rao
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modifié il y a 14 années.

RE: Minimum RAM Requirements for LR 5.2.3

Liferay Legend Publications: 6403 Date d'inscription: 23/09/08 Publications récentes
The minimum virtual machine that we have installed liferay on has 1GB memory and some swap space, usually as much as the linux setup procedure suggests... This particular machine idles most of the time and user experience or massive traffic is not an issue, there's no heavy-processing stuff going on on that server.

Liferay might run with less memory, but you certainly want to finetune your setup and not use it for more than trying concepts - e.g. either development or production use would be a pain.

Quick solution for you: Add virtual memory (e.g. swap space on disk) and / or lower the memory that's being made available to liferay. If you have the tomcat bundle, look for the file "setenv.sh" in tomcat's bin directory and finetune the memory settings there to fit your machine. When java allocates (and uses) more than the physical memory in your machine prepare for severe slow downs, but at least you should be able to get it to run and continue your exploration from that point on.

On the other hand buying a bit of memory might be cheaper in the (not so) long run than investing your time.
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, modifié il y a 14 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 2034 Date d'inscription: 05/03/09 Publications récentes
I agree... RAM vs. time tinkering + continued headaches... Buy the RAM. It's just not that expensive any more.
thumbnail
Mickey Fox, modifié il y a 14 années.

Junior Member Publications: 60 Date d'inscription: 15/07/09 Publications récentes
Lisa Simpson:
I agree... RAM vs. time tinkering + continued headaches... Buy the RAM. It's just not that expensive any more.

Unless, of course, your motherboard is limited....

Again, I am thinking that minimum requirements should be posted somewhere.
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, modifié il y a 14 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 2034 Date d'inscription: 05/03/09 Publications récentes
No disagreement here... as I've said before in other threads... there are a lot of things around here that aren't in the wiki. Seriously, if you can get your hands on another 1GB of RAM for your machine, you'll be much better off in the long run. Otherwise when things don't work, you'll be trying to troubleshoot both your code and your connection/speed/timeout issues because of your lack of RAM.
snehal katariya, modifié il y a 14 années.

New Member Envoyer: 1 Date d'inscription: 16/09/09 Publications récentes
Hi,

I have 2 gb RAM still i am getting this.

Could not reserve enough space for object heap
Could not create the Java virtual machine.
Press any key to continue . . .

Please guide me to procide further.

Thanks
Snehal
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modifié il y a 14 années.

RE: Error occurred during initialization of VM

Liferay Legend Publications: 6403 Date d'inscription: 23/09/08 Publications récentes
The settings for Sun's JVM will not be sufficient out of the box. If you use the bundled version (e.g. tomcat and liferay) this comes preconfigured for more Heap- and PermGen-Space. Look at bin/setenv.sh or bin/setenv.bat in tomcat's directory You may also change these values.

Otherwise - if you're using your own webserver or a non-Sun JVM check how to tweak its memory settings.