Forums de discussion

pls help how to install liferay on to the ubuntu linux!

David Wong, modifié il y a 14 années.

pls help how to install liferay on to the ubuntu linux!

New Member Publications: 3 Date d'inscription: 05/06/09 Publications récentes
Hi All,

I already install the ubuntu linux with the java and tomcat6 , I already test can browse on the IE ( Will show the it works!), now I download the liferay 5.2 and unzip on the /opt/liferay and run the sh , every thing OK , but can't browse the liferay on the IE , the ie already show the it works , which step my missing ? what can i do ?? pls help .

thanks

David
thumbnail
Amos Fong, modifié il y a 14 années.

RE: pls help how to install liferay on to the ubuntu linux!

Liferay Legend Publications: 2047 Date d'inscription: 07/10/08 Publications récentes
Does anything show in the logs that could help?
thumbnail
Lari Tuominen, modifié il y a 14 années.

Expert Publications: 283 Date d'inscription: 07/11/07 Publications récentes
Have you set JAVA_HOME?

- Lari

HI ,

Thanks for your help , what is Java Home ?? and can you tell me details how to config the liferay on the linux , Now I step by step follow by liferay manual , but can't broswe the liferay page on the IE , I can broswe the TOMCAT page .

thanks

David
thumbnail
Jonas Yuan, modifié il y a 14 années.

Liferay Master Publications: 993 Date d'inscription: 27/04/07 Publications récentes
Setting up the Ext

The Ext is a wrapper for Liferay portal core source. Generally, the Ext mirrors Liferay portal core source directories (i.e. ext-impl/, ext-service/ and ext-web/). It allows users to develop on top of Liferay portal, like a platform, without having to worry about upgrading in the future. As we know, it is very difficult to upgrade to new versions of Liferay portal if one modifies the source code directly. Fortunately, the Ext allows users to extend and modify the source code without breaking the upgrade path to new versions of Liferay portal.
In order to set up development environments, including the Ext and the Plugins SDK, for development, customization, deployment and debugging, we need to consider five aspects: required tools, databases, application servers, IDE (Integrated Development Environment), and portal source code. Let’s have a deeper look on these aspects.

Required tools

Liferay portal is Java-based portal application, using Ant build tool. Thus the required tools are JDK and Ant. For both tools, we recommend you to use the latest version.
JDK
First you need to download the latest JDK version (and installation instructions) for every OS are available at http://java.sun.com. When you install it, make note of the location, as you will need it when setting your JAVA_HOME setting.
Then you need to set JAVA_HOME setting. The following is an example to set JAVA_HOME setting in Windows. Of course, you can set the JAVA_HOME setting as well in Linux, Unix, MacOS. Obviously, you can run Liferay portal in any OS.
Right click on the My Computer and go to Properties.
Go to the Advanced tab and click on Environment Variables and you will need to add a new System variable.
Set JAVA_HOME to the location you have noted above.
Edit the PATH. Add the following to the beginning of the PATH system variable: %JAVA_HOME%\bin; click on the button OK.
You can check whether OS recognizes Java and the correct version by typing the command: java -version. By the way, we use $JDK_MAJOR_VERSION to represent the major version of JDK. For example, the value of $JDK_MAJOR_VERSION could be 1.5, 1.6, etc.

Abstracted from liferay-portal-5-2-systems-development
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modifié il y a 14 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 6403 Date d'inscription: 23/09/08 Publications récentes
It seems you're not very familiar with tomcat/java/setting up a complex application in this context on ubuntu (no pun intended). Therefor I'd like to suggest to install a bundle (liferay with tomcat6) and get rid of ubuntu's tomcat:

sudo aptitude install sun-java6-bin unzip
sudo aptitude remove tomcat6
sudo update-alternatives --config java

(choose java6 as the default)
unzip the liferay-tomcat6 bundle in your home directory
cd ~/liferay-portal-5.2.3/tomcat-6.0.18/bin
chmod +x *.sh
./startup.sh

Installing Liferay on top of an existing tomcat sometimes proves to be difficult - at least from what I've seen in this forum. I've never tried it. The Ubuntu tomcat is well-dug into the system, so that I usually prefer to have my own and setting up the liferay bundle is dead easy.

After a while, go to http://localhost:8080/ and you should be in.

This is good for testing and development - for production environments you'll need more hardening of the system.

HI ,

Thanks you all,

Now I goto use the windows server version install the liferay was OK right Now ,

Now I need switch to how to config fourm .

thanks you.

David