Forums de discussion

Email warning when translation needs attention

thumbnail
Brendan Johan Lee, modifié il y a 10 années.

Email warning when translation needs attention

Junior Member Publications: 38 Date d'inscription: 29/02/12 Publications récentes
Is there any way (and if not, would it be possible to create) a way of receiving email alerts when ones given language needs attention so that we don't have to randomly just discover the fact?

(Normally I would just create a cron job that uses curl to check and hook it into my windowmanager to give me alerts, but I never have time to go full nerd anymore these days) emoticon
thumbnail
Daniel Sanz, modifié il y a 10 années.

RE: Email warning when translation needs attention

Regular Member Publications: 143 Date d'inscription: 14/12/10 Publications récentes
Hi Brendan,

pootle can help you with that task. You don't need to receive emails on each key.

Basically there are 3 kinds of keys that require attention:
* Untranslated: those ones are generated from the fact that we periodically update pootle with new keys to translate, so on each update, there may be untranslated keys th
* Fuzzy: those ones may be marked manually by translators when they are not sure about the meaning of a key. In addition, we mark them automatically when the english value changes between pootle updates. We had to do this because of a pootle bug which messes translations. Therefore, either because of translations or as part of an update process, some keys may become fuzzy.
* Quality checks: Pootle makes some quality checks automatically. The "Review" tab shows a summary of checks, together with a link that allows you to traverse the collection of keys for which that specific test is failing. Note: this collection is browsed through the Prev | Next links below each key in that collection. If you go to a key outside the collection, navigation will be lost and you have to go back to the Review tab.

To access the collection of untranslated and fuzzy keys, you can to to "Translate" tab and click "Quick translate" link
To access the quality checks, go to "Review" tab and follow the links.

Hope that this helps you to focus the translation effort.

Best,
thumbnail
Corné Aussems, modifié il y a 10 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 1313 Date d'inscription: 03/10/06 Publications récentes
Hi Daniel,

Brendan means that we do not have to check each day/week to see if someone contributed a suggestion or Liferay engineers added another key.
We get an notification and then we look!

On the DevCon unconference i organized a topic improving the translation process and spoke with Julio C. about this.
This and other requested features made us wish we either upgrade Pootle to a new version that has all of these features or switch to another tool.

Greetings,
Corné
thumbnail

Junior Member Publications: 38 Date d'inscription: 29/02/12 Publications récentes
Corné Aussems:

On the DevCon unconference i organized a topic improving the translation process and spoke with Julio C. about this.
This and other requested features made us wish we either upgrade Pootle to a new version that has all of these features or switch to another tool.

I keep getting more and more annoyed that I had to skip the unconference and only attend the two regular days emoticon
thumbnail
Daniel Sanz, modifié il y a 10 années.

Regular Member Publications: 143 Date d'inscription: 14/12/10 Publications récentes
Got it! I definitely misunderstood.

I've just checked that Pootle does not store the suggestion date so, unfortunately, there is no way to sort them.

We plan to review the latest Pootle version.

The main issues for upgrading are that the sync process has a lot of specificities that have to be adapted to the new version, to name a few:
  • Interaction with Liferay LangBuilder: process has to be aware that keys are post-processed prior to be committed to source code. For example, we had to distinghuish if an empty value exported by pootle means that the translation is not done or that the english value should be used instead. Other issue is Automatic Copy / Translation handling.
  • Dependent languages: updates for some languages have to be done taking into account that they have a "parent" language so that translations which are equal than the one in the parent language should not be uploaded
  • Unsolved bugs: the one we got in certain situations that messed translations, we had to workaround it by emulating a POST against pootle. This is very dependent on DB structure. (this bug is still unsolved in latest pootle version, we had to manually patch pootle to partially workaround it)

This makes the process harder and requires to plan a bigger time window to achieve it. Unfortunately, allot such an amount of resources is not my call.

Thanks for the feedback!
Daniel
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modifié il y a 10 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 6396 Date d'inscription: 23/09/08 Publications récentes
Daniel Sanz:
The main issues for upgrading are that the sync process has a lot of specificities that have to be adapted to the new version, to name a few:

This and the other recent posts suggest that I'll accellerate publication of new Radio Liferay episodes and start postprocessing of the episode that we (Daniel and I) recently recorded in Madrid about translation and what actually happens behind the scene...
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modifié il y a 10 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 6396 Date d'inscription: 23/09/08 Publications récentes
Olaf Kock:
This and the other recent posts suggest that I'll accellerate publication of new Radio Liferay episodes and start postprocessing of the episode that we (Daniel and I) recently recorded in Madrid about translation and what actually happens behind the scene...

Done. Shameless plug ;)
thumbnail
Denis Signoretto, modifié il y a 10 années.

Expert Publications: 375 Date d'inscription: 21/04/09 Publications récentes
Corné Aussems:

Hi Corné !!,

(Sorry, I'm a bit off topic, I know). Between the requests came up during the during DevCon unconference
it's also emerged the necessity to define a "Terminology". If I'm not wrong actually we are using Pootle default Terminology.
Is there a way to update it (in this or newer version)?

Bye,
Denis.

P.S. BTW during the DevCon, in a parallel session, we talked about User Experience.
There has was a common agreement that a good translation it's one of key factor to improve UX.
thumbnail

Hi Daniel

I think you might have misunderstood my question. I use all of the three things you mentioned below actively while translating. What I'm looking for is basically something that would email me with a "Somebody has commited somthing resulting in the Norwegian language translation needing attention" message. So instead of having to log on to pootle every now and then to see if anything has happend that requires my attention, I would receive an email instead.