Forums de discussion

6.2 upgrade process

gordon daniels, modifié il y a 10 années.

6.2 upgrade process

Liferay Master Publications: 797 Date d'inscription: 24/08/08 Publications récentes
I would like to understand the upgrade process from 6.1 to 6.2. Is there documentation that expains it. The current 6.2 beta docs use the same process that 6.0 to 6.1 used. That can not be right. Its my understanding that going to responsive bootstrap requires running some scrip to make themes and portlets compatible.

Anyway, if there is a process for upgrading I would like to start testing it before ga is released.

thanks
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modifié il y a 10 années.

RE: 6.2 upgrade process

Liferay Legend Publications: 14915 Date d'inscription: 02/09/06 Publications récentes
gordon daniels:
The current 6.2 beta docs use the same process that 6.0 to 6.1 used. That can not be right.

Umm, how is it not right? Liferay, itself, will upgrade in place by updating the database etc at startup. It's effectively been the same process for awhile now.

However, the devil in the details is that custom-built stuff is probably not going to work out of the gate. you will need to get your dev team to test the custom-built stuff and verify it (that too has been the same for 6.0 and 6.1).

Long story short, there is going to be a lot of 6.2 noise when it hits the streets (same as there was when 6.0 came out and 6.1). Ultimately it is not going to be ready for my production systems. After a few months, extensive testing, lots of feedback online, lots of bugs being opened and closed, and liferay.com switching to the 6.2 line, that's when I'll be thinking of upgrading production, but not before.

Liferay Master Publications: 797 Date d'inscription: 24/08/08 Publications récentes
David: my you are active :-).. I read a few days ago on liferay ( don't remember where) but the jest of it was existing css, vm files would have to have a script run against them to strip out non compliant code. The script was on Github. I am just trying to get ahead of the curve here. While there are many new features I would love to use, I won't be using 6.2 for production for quite awhile. Having used liferay for 6 years, I know better :-).. Right now, the liferay patched 6.1.2 is really stable. Thanks Juan, Sander, and the team at lcepatchers.org!

BTW David: we've commented on this before, but why doesn't Liferay improve its search capability for its site. I mean you would think they would improve it. I digress.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modifié il y a 10 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 14915 Date d'inscription: 02/09/06 Publications récentes
gordon daniels:
BTW David: we've commented on this before, but why doesn't Liferay improve its search capability for its site. I mean you would think they would improve it. I digress.

Liferay has a search function? emoticon

I just use google. they've been consistently better than Liferay's mechanism.

I think their problem is they think it is just the Liferay search, no big deal. I think they forget that Liferay is running Liferay; if I were evaluating Liferay, I would be evaluating their built-in search and honestly ranking it as pretty poor.

Sorry, guys, I'm not trying to bust your bubble, but it is what it is...

LOL: I'll stop. We are getting off topic :-)