Forums de discussion

Hebrew Locale

thumbnail
Chema Balsas, modifié il y a 10 années.

Hebrew Locale

Regular Member Publications: 127 Date d'inscription: 25/02/13 Publications récentes
Hi!

In the last few days, we've been working on improving RTL support in Liferay Portal. One thing we've noticed is that we're using iw as a locale for Hebrew, which seems to be now deprecated in favor of he in ISO-639-1.

If anyone is using portal in hebrew...
  • Does this bother you? Would you benefit from us updating the locale? Would it be worth it? (I assume it is...)
  • How would that affect your current localized content? (We may create a global hook at a very low level to map existing iw_ contents to he_ for backwards compatibility)
  • Have you already encountered issues like this? If so, how did you approach them?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chema
thumbnail
Rasto Rehak, modifié il y a 10 années.

RE: Hebrew Locale

Junior Member Publications: 66 Date d'inscription: 08/03/07 Publications récentes
Hi
we are using hebrew locale ( http://www.griddlers.net/iw/home ) in old version e.g. iw_IL. I don't think it is necessary to switch to "he" code. Also according to Javadoc they are backward compatible and old code is used as default:

Legacy language codes

Locale's constructor has always converted three language codes to their earlier, obsoleted forms: he maps to iw, yi maps to ji, and id maps to in. This continues to be the case, in order to not break backwards compatibility.

The APIs added in 1.7 map between the old and new language codes, maintaining the old codes internal to Locale (so that getLanguage and toString reflect the old code), but using the new codes in the BCP 47 language tag APIs (so that toLanguageTag reflects the new one). This preserves the equivalence between Locales no matter which code or API is used to construct them. Java's default resource bundle lookup mechanism also implements this mapping, so that resources can be named using either convention, see ResourceBundle.Control.

I think that new code would break quite a lot of functionality based on locale either in lportal or in portlets.

Rasto
thumbnail
Chema Balsas, modifié il y a 10 années.

RE: Hebrew Locale

Regular Member Publications: 127 Date d'inscription: 25/02/13 Publications récentes
Hi Rasto, thanks a lot for your quick response and your input. We really appreciate it!

Rasto Rehak:
I don't think it is necessary to switch to "he" code. Also according to Javadoc they are backward compatible and old code is used as default:
[...]
I think that new code would break quite a lot of functionality based on locale either in lportal or in portlets.

We'll keep that in mind. If we were to change it, we'd definitely have to make sure we don't break anything. That's why we want to know how's people been using it, so we can plan in advance the best path for it ;)

Rasto Rehak:
Hi we are using hebrew locale ( http://www.griddlers.net/iw/home ) in old version e.g. iw_IL.

I've been briefly over it, and it looks great!!

We're currently working on adding full support for RTL, so we'd really appreciate if you could give us some feedback.
  • It seems you're overriding the html direction property to LTR. What's the reason behind that? Is somewhat a side effect of rtl lack of support?
  • Menus and dropdowns are left aligned, with nested navigations flowing to the right. Is this something that couldn't be changed or quite too hard to accomplish?
  • Message board doesn't show right to left. I guess this affects other portlets as well, and should be fixed once we add full rtl support.
  • Did you encounter any big issues or showstoppers while working on this? How do you feel we could improve it?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chema