Forums de discussion

How to handle (non-)marketplace portlets during portal upgrade?

thumbnail
Artur Linhart, modifié il y a 11 années.

How to handle (non-)marketplace portlets during portal upgrade?

Expert Publications: 459 Date d'inscription: 13/09/07 Publications récentes
Hello,

I work on upgrade of Liferay 6.0 to 6.1 and I came to the following problem - in the previous version of portal there were some portlets pre-installed out of the box, or I have installed other portlets compatible with the old version. Now in the 6.1 such portlets are no more available out of the box or they cannot be out of the box available at all (have been installed into the installation later.... And now the question - if the portal is meing upgraded, how should it be made? SImply delete the old portal, unpacking the new portal and change of database connectivity + portal-ext.properties, etc is simple, but how to proceed with the portlets which might be incompatible with the new version...?
Should I download them from marketplace, then copy them into webapps of new portal, etc (I Hope this could be a sure way how to do it)?
Or is there some other way, possibly during the upgrade to download automatically the compatible versions and perform the upgrade of the portlet data for every portlet automatically and correctly to the current version? This could be, of course, problem if the portal has no connection to the internet...
Or, should the portal be started without the portlets and the isntallation should occur like new installation of portlets - do then the portlets recognize the data in the database and upgrade them correctly?

How is the intended upgrade philosophy and best practice here?
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modifié il y a 11 années.

RE: How to handle (non-)marketplace portlets during portal upgrade?

Liferay Legend Publications: 7942 Date d'inscription: 24/03/10 Publications récentes
Are the portlets from Liferay.com? If not, you may have to contact the author to get the 6.1 version.
If you want to keep the data from 6.0, you'll probably have to do some kind of upgrade on portlets' data. Unfortunately, upgrade process if it exists will depends on the portlet. You'll have to contact the original developer to find how to do it.
thumbnail
Artur Linhart, modifié il y a 11 années.

Hello, thanx for fast answer :-)
Lets say, for now, the portlets are taken from liferay.com... I am interested in general solution you recommend for the upgrade... In the version 6.0 there were in the basic CE version installed things like google maps, wsrp portlet, etc. Now in the basic bundle are no longer such portlets. How should the user who performs the upgrade, proceed? in the marketplace user guide I found nothing about it...
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modifié il y a 11 années.

Liferay Legend Publications: 7942 Date d'inscription: 24/03/10 Publications récentes
With portlets like Google Map, Stock, Weather, the new version can just be downloaded from the Marketplace and deployed. I think the problem is when there is substantial content associated with the portlet such as Knowledge Base portlets. I think the way to do is to export/import but this currently doesn't work with different versions.

Nevertheless, upgrade problem shouldn't be Marketplace problem but the problem of the porlet. If the portlets are from Liferay.com, they should have an upgrade documentation in the "Documentation" page.
thumbnail
Artur Linhart, modifié il y a 10 années.

Sorry for long delay... Sure, this is always problem of the portlet. But my ask was if there is some "bestp practice" or guideline how to develop and then perform the upgrades of portlets - and the example of portlets taken from liferay.com. From my point of view this is the topic, which should be always solved on every porltet version to deal with the fact the portlet is being upgraded.

But still there could be some general guidance or standards, what schould be fullfilled and some general guidline how to perform upgrade of such portlets, handling the upgrade by themselves.

If I understand it correctly, today there is no such guideline. This might be a good topic tor standardization of processes in Liferay...