Foros de discusión

New Application Development Using the Liferay Platform

S S, modificado hace 11 años.

New Application Development Using the Liferay Platform

New Member Mensajes: 3 Fecha de incorporación: 12/06/10 Mensajes recientes
Hi There,
I was working on assignment of creating HRMS system for the organization. I already showcase the Liferay and it's capabilities. I want to develop the new application as Standard Web based application using the Liferay core. My observation are as follows

1] Liferay provides 95% coverage on basic core capabilities required in any web application like : User Mgmt/Security/Social Updates/Entity Framework/JSF UI and what not. Liferay core will provide me jump start platform for developing the Web 2.0 application rather than starting from scratch.

2] I investigate the approach of various extension mechanism like Hooks/Portlets/Ext Plugin. They all work if you want to develop the Portlet and not the full fledged web application. I mean using the term "Web Application" is something looks like Alfresco Web Client/JIRA/Atlassian/or any normal J2EE Web Application which would persist the data and have business logic.

3] I want to develop the application using the JSF(Any UI library)+JPA+Spring(if possible)+Spring Security+Web Services enabled+rest enabled. Service Entity Framework can help me in achieving the same. For this application; can I use the Liferay Core for infrastructure services and normal JSF+JPA flow for the application?

4] If you look @ J2EE web application like JIRA/Alfresco Web Client; they are not full Portlet based application but dashboard functionality is provided. My intention is not to write the Web Application from start but using the existing Liferay constructs. The pages will not be Portal Page(except dashboard) or portlets but JSF pages.

5] Let me give you insight into the use case: Once user login to http://xxxx:xx/pm; this will Open the Project management application. Intial dashboard will give you dashboard(can be constructed using the Portlets) which will show your project info/bug assignments/activity for projects etc etc. There will be tabs/pages which will allow you to create the Projects and start the Bug management system for the projects. Sites/organization concepts would be totaly transparent.

In liferay when you create new pages; you need to place the various portlets onto page. I want pre-assemble page J2EE UI and not portlets. The page would contains multiple web flow(Spring Web Flow).

I tried lot of search but didn't find any reference for these kind of Implementation. Am I choosing the wrong platform for my requirements? Please share your thoughts.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 11 años.

RE: New Application Development Using the Liferay Platform

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
You'll missing the point about building web system with portlets. What's you're thinking is a monotholic inflexible web application with all user stories in one multi-layered application. With portlets, you design so an user story will be one portlet.
S S, modificado hace 11 años.

Hitoshi Ozawa:
You'll missing the point about building web system with portlets. What's you're thinking is a monotholic inflexible web application with all user stories in one multi-layered application. With portlets, you design so an user story will be one portlet.

Is it possible to use the liferay-services core package to develop the Application without the Portal context.? I saw the examples of JSF portlets; still there are lot of things that one needs to understand in terms of Liferay flow and services. can I use existing portal-services.jar and build the Web Application and still use the all the features that Liferay provides like User management/Asset management/Tagging/MB/WIKI?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 14916 Fecha de incorporación: 2/09/06 Mensajes recientes
No, you can't have the functionality unless you're developing portlets.

Do yourself a favor and purchase Liferay in Action. It will help you to understand what is required to develop for liferay.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
You'll be able to write one portlet with all the functionality of an application but you'll be missing out on one of the another benefit is being able to change offered functionality by exchanging portlet instead of modifying the application. This becomes important in agile development because functionality can be "kaizen" just by hot deploying the portlets.

Granularity of a portlet is something in middle to a widget and an application. It's possible to write an entire application as a widget but people usually don't do that. Similarly, it's not too beneficial to design portlet to be an application.

Unfortunately, there isn't any good book on how to design "good" portlet yet. "Liferay in Action" is a good technical book for beginners but it's mostly on implementation and not much on planning, design, and project management.
S S, modificado hace 10 años.

Thnkx For your valuable Inputs.

Can we some document which will list how to develop the Application Like "Social Office" using Liferay as infratsructure.
I will refer to Liferay in Action too.

Sushil