Foros de discusión

Liferay Portal-ICEfaces Integration

thumbnail
Neil Griffin, modificado hace 17 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2655 Fecha de incorporación: 27/07/05 Mensajes recientes
All,

FYI, thought this might be of interest:

Neil
thumbnail
Michael Young, modificado hace 17 años.

RE: Liferay Portal-ICEfaces Integration

Liferay Master Mensajes: 846 Fecha de incorporación: 5/08/04 Mensajes recientes
That's very cool. We'll put up a sample portlet. Would you have time to write up a really simple sample icefaces portlet, one that we could include as part of the distro as an example? Thanks Neil.
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2655 Fecha de incorporación: 27/07/05 Mensajes recientes
Michael,

There is a user named "Michael" with username "redly2001" that already posted a sample ICEFaces "Hello World" .WAR at the IceFaces forum (see link above).

I just tried it -- I can run the portlet successfully if I download a fresh copy of Liferay 4.2.0, but if I try it with the Liferay "Chat" portlet, I get I get a "permission denied" javascript error when the page loads in IE7. In Firefox 2.0, the error is more precise: "uncaught exception: Permission denied to get property Location.hash"

Might it have something to do with the "reverse.ajax.enabled=true" setting I have to add to portal-ext.properties in order to get the Chat porlet to work?

Best Regards,

Neil
thumbnail

BTW, IceFaces does not officially support portlets yet, so I'm pleasantly surprised that this works. Last I heard they were planning on some SVN snapshots in January with portlet support.

Neil
thumbnail

Just tried it out, it looks fantastic. I'm interested to see how Michael implemented this if it is not officially supported. Any chance we can get him to join this thread?
thumbnail

I just sent a personal message to redly2001 (Michael), letting him know that you were asking if he would join this thread.

Regarding the not-officially-supported issue:

1) The folks at ICEsoft are working on it. Their target date is an SVN snapshot sometime in early (possibly Jan 2007 Anno Domini)

2) If you examine Michael's extracted .WAR, in the WEB-INF/classes folder, you will see that he had to make patches to some of the com.icesoft source code files in order to make it all work. Way to go Michael!

Yes I agree, it looks fantastic. ICEfaces has a built-in CSS theming feature that makes it look so nice.

One of my goals will be to create a CSS mapping of some kind that will somehow map the ICEfaces styles to standard JSR-168 styles, so that the ICEfaces components will render with the selected Liferay theme.

Neil
thumbnail

We'd be happy to work with Michael and the ICEFaces team to make integration seamless. You don't know how many customers have asked about JSF + AJAX + Liferay.
thumbnail

It doesn't surprise me in the least. Frankly, I think the future might be Liferay+IceFaces+SEAM (see latest JBoss SEAM 1.1 announcement regarding ICEfaces/AJAX support). That's my target framework for 2007. I'm so excited that it's hard to sleep at night! (well, maybe it's because of those two pots of coffee). Hmm...
Michael Roth, modificado hace 17 años.

New Member Mensaje: 1 Fecha de incorporación: 21/12/06 Mensajes recientes
OK Neil, Michael here i am.

I have not done much only some kind of nailing
the things together. The paches in DOMResponseWriter
and Util classes where made by Roy Russo from jboss
and provided on the icefaces forum inside his
seam+icefaces+portlet sample.

But i still had some javascript problems so i have
build a new icefaces-d2d.js file without prototype
framework because it is already there in liferay.
then i commented out the following lines of
code:

/*
if(window.Event){
document.captureEvents(Event.KEYDOWN);
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
}
*/

as far as i know this part is only needed for netscape 4
browsers but made some trouble.

that's all i have done to get it to work for me.
Ted Goddard, modificado hace 17 años.

New Member Mensajes: 2 Fecha de incorporación: 12/01/07 Mensajes recientes
The upcoming patch of ICEfaces (1.5.2) will include changes as suggested here and the ICEfaces forums, such as the JavaScript modifications and a variation of the framework-level changes suggested by JBoss.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. We look forward to future collaboration and your feedback.
Damian Pawlaczyk, modificado hace 17 años.

New Member Mensajes: 16 Fecha de incorporación: 11/08/06 Mensajes recientes
IceFaces 1.5.2 has been released !!! I'm waiting for Your opinions !!! I tried to make a simple portlet with 1.5.1 but the tree component failed to render, maybe in 1.5.2 it works emoticon
thumbnail
Joel Kozikowski, modificado hace 17 años.

Expert Mensajes: 405 Fecha de incorporación: 28/06/06 Mensajes recientes
Ping.

I'm now turning my attention from the Liferay customization I've been doing to get our infrastructure set up, and am now starting to look for a "best practice" for building all of our company's portlets. At the moment, we have zero legacy Portlets, so we are free to use whatever practices we want. All of our NON-portlet web apps are already JSF/MyFaces/Faclets, and I'm thinking moving forward I want to use one of the many RIA AJAX frameworks out there. A day's worth of Googling brings me full circle back to this forum!

What is the state of things right now? Is there any active development still to be done? I'm particuarlly interested in Michael Roth's JSF/MyFaces/Facelets solution, as that seems like it will fit in perfectly with our current (and rapidly expanding emoticon ) skill set.

I guess I'll be spending some time over on the ICEFaces forum, but it sure would be nice to cut to the chase emoticon Are there any official plans to support the "JSF/MyFaces/Facelets/ICEFaces as a portlet" in the Liferay distro?
thumbnail

We'd love to work towards official support for the platform. We really need a reliable AJAX enabled JSF framework for Liferay. I've asked Neil to take the lead on this (as he already has for the most part). I hope he accepts emoticon. We'll do our part in making sure the necessary mods and patches are made to the codebase.
thumbnail

I'm happy to help coordinate. Michael Roth is the MyFaces / Facelets guru though.
thumbnail

If you can submit wars and patches to JIRA for us to patch, that will be the shortest path to getting this all working. Thanks!
thumbnail

Dear Michael Young, Michael Roth, Damian Pawlaczyk, and all Liferay+ICEfaces enthusiasts:

Please see this post again at the ICEfaces.org forums. I just made two lengthy posts with attachements.

The first post contains many source code fixes to ICEfaces-1.5.3 for use with Liferay-4.2.1

The second post contains a "HelloWorld" type of portlet that demonstrates how ICEfaces portlets can live on the same portal page as legacy JSF portlets. Unlike Michael Roth's killer Apache-JSF-Portlet-Bridge/MyFaces/Facelets, my portlet uses the Sun-JSF-Portlet-Bridge and the Sun JSF Reference implementation without Facelets. So between Michael's portlet and mine, we've got most of the bases covered.

I've been in touch with Ted Goddard of ICEsoft, and he mentioned that my changes are arriving at a good time in their development cycle. Sounds like ICEsoft is moving full speed ahead with portlet support.

Now, I did not exhaustively test every single <ice:/> component. But I am fairly confident in these ones:

<ice:form>
  <ice:outputstyle />
  <ice:outputtext />
  <ice:inputtext />
  <ice:selectonemenu />
  <ice:selectinputdate />
  <ice:message />
  <ice:messages />
  <ice:panelgroup />
  <ice:panelgrid />
  <ice:datatable />
  <ice:datapaginator />
</ice:form>

and...

<ice:inputfile /> (FILE UPLOAD! WOO HOO!)

Standard JSF 1.x did not work with
really at all. At one time I had jerry-rigged a PhaseListener to get a JSF file upload to work inside a portlet. But the ICEsoft folks have provided an AJAX-ified
<ice:inputfile />
that works with an <ice:outputProgress/> progress indicator. They even have tutorials that show how to do it. I tried out the tutorial and, after I made some fixes, it works in Liferay!

To Michael Young: One problem I have not been able to figure out, is that the
<ice:selectinputdate />
component does not popup the calendar properly under the "Genesis" theme. It works under the "Classic" theme though. Would you have a minute to check this out? There must be some kind of JavaScript/focus whackiness going on. It works OK under Mozilla, but not under IE. Please see the next post for a .JSPX file that you can put inside my HelloWorld portlet to reproduce the problem.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to working with you all on this effort. My testing has been limited to JDK5/Tomcat-5.5.17 so there is much more testing to be done.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Neil Griffin
thumbnail

To Michael Young:

Can you please try this out under the Liferay "Genesis" theme? As described in the previous post, the calendar does not popup correctly under IE.

Thanks,

Neil

<!--
   Copyright 2007 Triton Services, Inc.

Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
   you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
   You may obtain a copy of the License at

http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
   distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
   WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
   See the License for the specific language governing permissions and
   limitations under the License.
-->
<f:view xmlns:f="http://java.sun.com/jsf/core" xmlns:ice="http://www.icesoft.com/icefaces/component">
  <ice:outputdeclaration doctypeRoot="HTML" doctypePublic="-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" doctypeSystem="http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd" />
  <ice:form id="form1">

<!-- CSS -->
    <ice:outputstyle href="/xmlhttp/css/xp/xp.css" />

<ice:panelgrid border="1" columns="3" styleclass="" columnclasses="" rowclasses="">
      <ice:outputlabel for="UserName" styleClass="portlet-form-field-label" value="UserName:" />
      <ice:inputtext id="UserName" required="true" styleClass="portlet-form-input-field" value="" />
      <ice:message errorClass="portlet-msg-error" for="UserName" />
      <ice:outputlabel for="DateTimeCreated" styleClass="portlet-form-field-label" value="Date/Time Created:" />
      <ice:selectinputdate id="DateTimeCreated" popupDateFormat="MM/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss a" renderAsPopup="true" style="" styleClass="portlet-form-input-field" />
      <ice:message errorClass="portlet-msg-error" for="DateTimeCreated" />
    </ice:panelgrid>

</ice:form>

</f:view>
Stephen More, modificado hace 16 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 73 Fecha de incorporación: 16/08/06 Mensajes recientes
Michael Young:
We'll put up a sample portlet.

I have looked for the sample icefaces portlet on: http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/downloads/samples but I do not see one.

When do you expect to upload a sample iceface JSR 168 ?

P.S. I am currently confused on the status of Icefaces + Liferay....

Version 1.6.0 DR#2 "Portlets are unsupported in this build" did it get added back for DR#3 or DR#4 ?
thumbnail
Neil Griffin, modificado hace 16 años.

Liferay is pleased to announce preliminary support for ICEfaces portlets in Liferay Portal 4.3.0-RC1:

http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/forums/message_boards/message/114780

ICEsoft has included preliminary support for JSR-168 portlets in general, and Liferay Portal in particular in their ICEfaces 1.6-DR#5 release:
http://www.icefaces.org/JForum/posts/list/30/3155.page#20225

Liferay and ICEsoft continue to work closely together in order to provide production quality support in the future for Liferay Portal + ICEfaces integration.

To this end, a sample ICEfaces portlet for use with Liferay 4.3.0-RC1 can be found here:
http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/downloads/samples

Note that the "Hot Deploy" folder in 4.3 no longer defaults to \home\liferay\deploy. Instead, it defaults to a "liferay\deploy" folder in your home directory. On *nix, this would be /home/username/liferay/deploy and on Win32 it would be C:\Documents and Settings\username\liferay\deploy

Neil Griffin
Liferay, Inc.
Damian Pawlaczyk, modificado hace 16 años.

Hello !

I've tested Liferay 4.3.1 with Icefaces 1.6.1 and I'm very glad of the progress that have been made in this topic. In earlier versions many components didn't work properly and now work fine. Congratulations !!!

But there is one simple question: Is the integration environment ready to use for business ?

My answer is : Not yet. (I've noticed that some controls do not work with IE 6.0 ... has anybody a similar problem? I have not tested all IceFaces components yet and I don't know all the issues... has somebody any other problems?)

Has anybody used IceFaces to develop portlets? What is your opinion?

Regards

Damian
thumbnail
Deryk Sinotte, modificado hace 16 años.

New Member Mensajes: 18 Fecha de incorporación: 7/08/07 Mensajes recientes
I'm glad your seeing some success with your project. We know there is demand for the developing Liferay portlets using ICEfaces. There are a number of interesting technical challenges to overcome but we are plugging away. The team at Liferay has been very helpful and supportive in getting ICEfaces integrated and we thank them for that as well.

The next ICEfaces release (1.7DR#1) should be available in a couple of weeks. The major thrust of the 1.7 development cycle is support for portlets so you should see even more progress over the next little while. As for being ready for business, I would agree that the current release is not ready for production deployment (unless your portlets are very trivial) but it should be possible to start working on portlets now and offer your feedback so that the final 1.7 release is ready for prime time.

Deryk Sinotte
Senior Developer
ICEsoft Technologies, Inc.
Damian Pawlaczyk, modificado hace 16 años.

Hello,

I've tested the newest version of Liferay (4.3.5) and IceFaces (1.7.0-DR3). I'm very happy because I can see great progress emoticon
For those who want to use IceFaces for production environments: it is not ready yet, but it seems that it will be in near future.

Here are my mini remarks:

1. I'm very glad that the component-showcase application is available in portlet mode emoticon
2. Popup calendar was working in older version but now doesn't.
3. I can see improvement of sorting table but pagination does not work.
4. Autocomplete is broken.
5. Menubar and charts work quite well.
6. It's amazing but Drag and Drop works fine emoticon
7. Switching between tabs makes some problems - in older version it was working better.
8. Effects work fine.
9. Selection, command links and buttons work excelent.
10. Tree works in some non-deterministic way but works.

Best regards,

Damian Pawlaczyk
thumbnail
Deryk Sinotte, modificado hace 16 años.

New Member Mensajes: 18 Fecha de incorporación: 7/08/07 Mensajes recientes
Thanks, Dan. It's nice to have someone notice our effort. Putting the individual component examples from the Showcase seemed like a natural way to provide a demo as well as examples of code you can use to start your own portlets. To address some of your notes, I just tried the DR3 release of ICEfaces Component Showcase portlet build with Liferay 4.3.5 (running on Tomcat 5.5). I then added and tried some of the portlets that you mentioned you were having issues with:

2) My popup calendar worked fine for me. How did it fail for you?

3) Both the sorting table example and the data paging example worked fine for me. We don't have a combined example that I'm aware of. Do you have your own example that's not working?

4) Autocomplete (both fields) worked fine for me. What behaviour were you getting?

7) We don't have the dedicated tab example converted yet but the tabs within each example (Demonstration, Description, Source) work fine for me. Can you elaborate on the issue you are seeing?

10) The is some cosmetic issues with the tree but I was able to add, delete, expand, and click on nodes. What do you mean by working in a "non-deterministic" way?

Deryk Sinotte
Senior Developer
ICEsoft
Gary Murray, modificado hace 16 años.

New Member Mensajes: 18 Fecha de incorporación: 17/10/07 Mensajes recientes
Hi all

Sorry to bother you guys but I am uncertain of compatibilites on the JSF and Icefaces with liferay?

I currently am on a project using LR 4.2.0, which i can not upgrade at the moment, and one of the requirements is to support portlet development using icefaces.

Can you guys please tell me what works best (version of icefaces and myfaces or JSF) in LR 4.2.0.

I need to create a sample portlet for the end of this week as proof of concept.I had tried with icefaces 1.6 (using the eclicpse plugin) but I have not had any success. Is there a check list of listeners etc that i need to put in the web.xml and face config files.

Any lead on this would be greatly appreciated

Gary
atul patel, modificado hace 16 años.

Re: [Liferay Forums][Liferay Legacy]RE: Liferay Portal-ICEfaces Integration

Regular Member Mensajes: 192 Fecha de incorporación: 18/11/06 Mensajes recientes
Hi Gary.

You may want to look at the liferay plugins sdk which has a sample
facelets/icefaces portlet and try to port it to 4.2.

-Atul

On Feb 20, 2008, at 12:15 AM, Gary Murray at Liferay's Community
Forums wrote:

> Hi there Neil and Micheal
>
> Sorry to bother you guys but I am slightky lost on the JSF theme
> and Icefaces?
> I currently am on a project using LR 4.2.0 and one of the
> requirements is to support portlet development using icefaces.
>
> Can you guys please tell me what works best (version of icefaces
> and myfaces or JSF) in LR 4.2.0.
>
> I need to quicklyt create a sample portlet for the end of this week
> as proof of concept.I had tried with icefaces 1.6 (using the
> eclicpse pluggin) but I have not had any success. Is there a check
> list of listeners etc that i need to put in the web.xml and face
> config files.
>
> Any lead on this would be greatly appreciated
>