Foros de discusión

Side Menu in Liferay DXP

thumbnail
Chris Maggiulli, modificado hace 6 años.

Side Menu in Liferay DXP

New Member Mensajes: 19 Fecha de incorporación: 15/12/16 Mensajes recientes
We are soon to be migrating from 6.2 EE to Liferay DXP. We have made extensive use of the liferay-util-window module in 6.2 as a replacement for the Dialog popup in 6.1 and before. However we do not like this solution because it causes a lot of unnecessary complexity. One of our senior analysts really likes the admin menu in 6.2. I couldn't find any way to customize it in 6.2 however I see on the Liferay website the side menu works nearly identical. Is there a default AUI module (or a liferay module built with AUI) that we can use to copy this?

Also, why is there no documentation on any of Liferay's custom AUI modules. I see them used in the portals source code but see no mention of them in any documentation
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado hace 6 años.

RE: Side Menu in Liferay DXP

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 6403 Fecha de incorporación: 23/09/08 Mensajes recientes
Chris Maggiulli, modificado hace 6 años.

New Member Mensajes: 11 Fecha de incorporación: 15/04/16 Mensajes recientes
Sorry for not responding sooner. I forgot I had two accounts on here.

I just checked out 7.0 CE and the link you posted and have a better understanding of the side menu. However after working with it a bit I am still slightly unclear about how we are going to adopt the side menu going forward. From my understanding the side menu is basically the replacement of the 6.2 navbar. Is that a fair statement?

In our portal we don't have many hooks or extensions and do not utilize the Liferay platform heavily from a configuration standpoint. Instead we use it mostly for the SDK. We basically have a custom plugin portlet for each business unit. Each of those portlets is place on the index page of it's own community sire. So basically we have 8 community sites, each community site has one page, each page has a single portlet (this is a bit of an oversimplification but is true enough for this discussion).

However our custom plugin portlets are pretty large (100k to 250k lines of code each if that helps). Almost all the navigation done by the users is within the portlet itself (action/render/resource urls). It is this type of navigation that we are thinking of adopt the side menu. However part of this migration is going to be refactoring. I want to get as close to using core Liferay functionality as possible. I don't want to introduce more customization in places that it is not needed like navigation. What are your thoughts on that? Would it be wise to attempt something like this or would you expect it to be less cumbersome to build our own system of "intra portlet navigation"
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado hace 6 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 6403 Fecha de incorporación: 23/09/08 Mensajes recientes
I can't really give an exact recommendation, but 100k and 250k LOC sound like a good candidate to break it up into smaller individual units, that could easily be added to Liferay's navigation on the left, be it Control Panel, User Personal Bar or the site-dependent sections. In fact, the "Product Menu" is a blend of all these individual components of prior Liferay versions.

"Would it be wise..."? I'll go with smaller component over complex components that require their own internal "navigation system" any time. But to me, this question is quite abstract. You can look at your own code and know what your team is like - that's a better basis or judgement.