Foros de discusión

Liferay university

Danilo Cicognani, modificado hace 17 años.

Liferay university

New Member Mensajes: 7 Fecha de incorporación: 31/03/06 Mensajes recientes
Hi,

I have to integrate a open source lms (learning management system) into liferay with one or more portlet.

I found some java lms and I'm choosing the platform (maybe Olat - www.olat.org)

But I've seen in the road map that a "Liferay University - Learning Management System" will released into Machen Release (Sept-Oct 2006), so I would like to know more about this new feature.

Anybody can help me?

Thanks

RE: Liferay university

No one?
thumbnail
Russ Danner, modificado hace 17 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 149 Fecha de incorporación: 7/02/06 Mensajes recientes
Danilo Cicognani:
Hi,

I have to integrate a open source lms (learning management system) into liferay with one or more portlet.

I found some java lms and I'm choosing the platform (maybe Olat - www.olat.org)

But I've seen in the road map that a "Liferay University - Learning Management System" will released into Machen Release (Sept-Oct 2006), so I would like to know more about this new feature.

Anybody can help me?

Thanks

Danilo,

I don't know very much about (which I actually mean, I know nothing) about what a learning management system is. Can you describe what it is to you? My suspicion saying LMS is something like saying CMS (content managment system) which in a crowd of 10 IT people means 8 different things.

Russ Danner:
I don't know very much about (which I actually mean, I know nothing) about what a learning management system is. Can you describe what it is to you? My suspicion saying LMS is something like saying CMS (content managment system) which in a crowd of 10 IT people means 8 different things.

A good description of what an LMS is can be found in the Wikipedia:

A Learning Management System (or LMS) is a software package, usually on a large scale (that scale is decreasing rapidly), that enables the management and delivery of learning content and resources to students. Most LMS systems are web-based to facilitate "anytime, anywhere" access to learning content and administration.

At a minimum, the LMS usually allows for student registration, the delivery and tracking of e-learning courses and content, and testing, and may also allow for the management of instructor-led training classes. In the most comprehensive of LMSs, one may find tools such as competency management, skills-gap analysis, succession planning, certifications, virtual live classes, and resource allocation (venues, rooms, textbooks, instructors, etc.). Most systems allow for learner self-service, facilitating self-enrollment, and access to courses.

(From Wikipedia)

The most important standard in the LMS market is SCORM.
(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCORM or http://www.adlnet.gov/scorm/index.cfm)

One LMS Java Open Source that follows SCORM specs 1.2 is OLAT.

We also have one, but it's only in italian and by now it's not open source.
We need to have one integrated in a portlet environment so we are interested in Liferay University.

Are you part of the Liferay development team?
Do you know what is meant for Liferay University in the Liferay roadmap?
Anyone else knows about it?

Can we cooperate in the integration in some way?

Thanks. Goodbye.
thumbnail

Danilo Cicognani:
Russ Danner:

A good description of what an LMS is can be found in the Wikipedia:

A Learning Management System (or LMS) is a software package, usually on a large scale (that scale is decreasing rapidly), that enables the management and delivery of learning content and resources to students. Most LMS systems are web-based to facilitate "anytime, anywhere" access to learning content and administration.

At a minimum, the LMS usually allows for student registration, the delivery and tracking of e-learning courses and content, and testing, and may also allow for the management of instructor-led training classes. In the most comprehensive of LMSs, one may find tools such as competency management, skills-gap analysis, succession planning, certifications, virtual live classes, and resource allocation (venues, rooms, textbooks, instructors, etc.). Most systems allow for learner self-service, facilitating self-enrollment, and access to courses.

(From Wikipedia)

The most important standard in the LMS market is SCORM.
(See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCORM or http://www.adlnet.gov/scorm/index.cfm)

One LMS Java Open Source that follows SCORM specs 1.2 is OLAT.

We also have one, but it's only in italian and by now it's not open source.
We need to have one integrated in a portlet environment so we are interested in Liferay University.

Are you part of the Liferay development team?
Do you know what is meant for Liferay University in the Liferay roadmap?
Anyone else knows about it?

Can we cooperate in the integration in some way?

Thanks. Goodbye.

Hi Danilo,

Thanks for pointing out the wikipedia page. I probably should have gone there before asking you just so I had some idea what LMS stands for. Anyway your reply is really helpful.

I am not a part of the Liferay development team per se. I am a member of the community which is the development team. I just don't get any checks in my mailbox from liferay. What I do get however, is a product that in some ways is on a configuration basis "tailored" (not at the moment) to my company's needs (who at least for now) continues to put checks in my mailbox.

I don't have the slightest clue what that one line statement means. Somebody here will (i am very sure now that we made some ruckus) get back to you. Trust me, the on-liner road map is something i complain about constantly (as I seem to be doing right now) >[
We are working on fixing that so you will have a much better idea what is coming in the future. I am very skeptical of one line road maps. First they are next to useless because they mean nothing. Second, I cant put any faith in something that doesnt deserver at least a paragraph or so on what it is... Did you think through this thing.. prove it to me.

I'll help out where I can (yay open source)

-R
thumbnail
Michael Young, modificado hace 17 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 846 Fecha de incorporación: 5/08/04 Mensajes recientes
The reason it's a one liner is because we haven't ironed out the requirements for the system either. We have an LMS expert on staff, and he will be filling in the LMS details as he sees fit. Currently Liferay already has about 80% functionality needed to support an LMS. We just need need a few LMS specific features to bridge what we have into something really targeted toward an LMS.

Ray Auge is our LMS expert. I'll have him respond to this thread in a bit.
thumbnail

Mike,

When do you think Ray will be able to follow up on this?
thumbnail
Michael Young, modificado hace 17 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 846 Fecha de incorporación: 5/08/04 Mensajes recientes
Ray's on another engagement at the moment, but once he's freed up from that he'll be focusing more attention to this. He's really an expert in this field.
thumbnail

That is sweet. Always good to have experts. I am just trying to keep the thread alive. emoticon
thumbnail
Ray Auge, modificado hace 17 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1197 Fecha de incorporación: 8/02/05 Mensajes recientes
Thanks Michael,

I'm a little skeptical about being called an expert, especially when it comes to the field of Learning Management Systems. It's vast and can mean many different things to many people. Plus, I like to think no one is an expert, that way we all leave room for learning (except for Brian Chan, he's an expert...).

Also, since I'm new to Liferay, I'm currently getting my feet wet with how things work around here, though I'm extremely excited about it all.

I've been asked by the powers that be here to flesh out the road map of Liferay University and that will likely take a little while. I will require help, which I'm sure many in the community are anxious to do. I don't even begin to imagine that it can be done by one person.

There are 3 big initial features that I believe are needed for Liferay to begin to fullfill the role of LMS. They are:

- SCORM integration (as Danilo pointed out)
- Time based access to content and resources (similar to, but not just journal contents)
- Assessment development and delivery

Some of the features that probably won't be in Liferay University for the forseable future (though this really depends on the powers that be) are Student Information System type features; scheduling, rooming, etc...

So, please keep an eye on that one liner. It should begin to grow over the comming weeks.

Ray

PS: Please keep this thread going. I'll need all your input...

Ray Auge:

I've been asked by the powers that be here to flesh out the road map of Liferay University and that will likely take a little while. I will require help, which I'm sure many in the community are anxious to do. I don't even begin to imagine that it can be done by one person.
[...]
PS: Please keep this thread going. I'll need all your input...

We'll be happy to partecipate in this develop.
As I said, we already have a complete solution for e-learning, so we have a good code base to use.
We already need to make an LMS based on the portlet technology, so it will be great to join our efforts to don't waste forces and time.
Some people of our team has got a good experience in the LMS market and we all are doing some experience with Liferay this year.

How can we keep in contact to start building the features list?

**** 1000 KBye ****

[) /\ |\| | |_ ()
thumbnail
Ray Auge, modificado hace 17 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1197 Fecha de incorporación: 8/02/05 Mensajes recientes
Under the message board category Development we have a Category called Liferay University.

Follow our progress there. emoticon
Maged Makled, modificado hace 13 años.

New Member Mensajes: 5 Fecha de incorporación: 8/06/10 Mensajes recientes
Hi Ray,

I have version 5.2 and had an assignment of creating a LMS like "Liferay University" but I couldn't find the code for it. What is the status of this code? where is the code? Anybody had a similar LMS liferay portal system that could share if it is Open source

Thanks

Maged
Jan Tošovský, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 566 Fecha de incorporación: 22/07/10 Mensajes recientes
Hello,

I am also investigating possibilities of any LMS integration into LifeRay. As original post is quite outdated, I hope there are available many different approaches nowadays... but Google results are not very optimistic :-(

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

Regards,

Jan

PS: Has anybody any experience with this: http://sakaiproject.org/projects/lti-portlet ?
thumbnail
Sandeep Nair, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1744 Fecha de incorporación: 6/11/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi,

Any one tried doing the above. My requirement is at my side I would have a Course defined. And i should be able to import or attach multiple modules to this course. And when the user finishes the course would be given some certifications and stuff like that.

Please help me if anyone has already implemented anything like this

Regards,
Sandeep
thumbnail
Janne Hietala, modificado hace 12 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 97 Fecha de incorporación: 16/06/09 Mensajes recientes
Hi all,

Everyone hoping for SCORM support in Liferay, check this thread out!

Br,
Janne
thumbnail
Sohui Gu, modificado hace 13 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 115 Fecha de incorporación: 7/07/06 Mensajes recientes
Focus on!!
Maged Makled, modificado hace 13 años.

New Member Mensajes: 5 Fecha de incorporación: 8/06/10 Mensajes recientes
what does that mean "Focus On"