Foros de discusión

6.2 vs 7.0

gordon daniels, modificado hace 7 años.

6.2 vs 7.0

Liferay Master Mensajes: 797 Fecha de incorporación: 24/08/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi All,

Just want to see the opinions of the community. If you needed to create a web sit e in the next 30 days, would you use 7.0 or 6.2? Hopefully this creates a lot of discussion.

thanks
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modificado hace 7 años.

RE: 6.2 vs 7.0

Liferay Master Mensajes: 978 Fecha de incorporación: 3/01/10 Mensajes recientes
It depends.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 797 Fecha de incorporación: 24/08/08 Mensajes recientes
What kind of reply is that?emoticon

Hi Jack, depends on what?
thumbnail
Aravinth Kumar, modificado hace 7 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 152 Fecha de incorporación: 26/06/13 Mensajes recientes
In my point of view,If timeline is strict its better to go with 6.2. And I started working in liferay 7 recently. As of now I am seeing less documents in liferay 7.Need to explore and work in liferay 7.

Aravinth: thank you for your reply. I would agree.
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modificado hace 7 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 978 Fecha de incorporación: 3/01/10 Mensajes recientes
gordon daniels:
What kind of reply is that?emoticon
Hi Jack, depends on what?

What is what ? do you know what what is ? emoticon

I'm learning v7 CE with a simple site. Down the road I will need to upgrade several v6.2 EE to DXP.
I've been developing using Liferay since v5.2.3 and when 6.0, 6.1, 6.2 came out, I would invent a simple web site project or start a real one to learn. When I feel comfortable with a new version, then I can better assess what will be involved with using the new version for new projects or for necessary upgrades from old versions. Readiness to use 7/DXP doesn't just have to do with the Liferay product, it also has to do with acquiring the necessary know-how.

If you haven't already started, I think now is a good time to start learning about Liferay 7 even if only for a casual experimental side project.

Thanks Jack! what - what emoticon

Yeah I am in the same mode. Have created a couple of sites. Some things work others don't. I built my LR on tomcat 8 and it definitely is having some issues :-) Probably operator error. Don't have the same problems with a bundle. I am still using 6.2. Well, maybe we will get throught this.

thanks again Jack for taking the time.
thumbnail
Fernando Fernandez, modificado hace 7 años.

Expert Mensajes: 396 Fecha de incorporación: 22/08/07 Mensajes recientes
gordon daniels:
f you needed to create a web sit e in the next 30 days, would you use 7.0 or 6.2?

If you have a complex project (portlets, hooks, etc.) and you have little time to explore 7.0 novelties, just use 6.2.

HTH

Fernando
thumbnail
Nirav Prajapati, modificado hace 7 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 133 Fecha de incorporación: 25/06/15 Mensajes recientes
In 6.2 version if you have any stuck up then you got help quickly then 7.0.
In 7.0 their are very difficult to make site then 6.0

Niray: thaks for the reply. Good point.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado hace 7 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 14916 Fecha de incorporación: 2/09/06 Mensajes recientes
Here's the counter to these arguments - everything going forward is going to be LR 7. Support for later versions of bootstrap, LR7. Commercial support, LR7.

The learning curve is ahead for all of us. You might delay it, but you won't be able to prevent it.

GA3 seems to be stable for me, time will make it more so. But you can create a site and get it running under 7 once you pass the learning curve.

Hi David, thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, I've been creating sites to learn 7.0. Very different but at least the code is better than in previous versions. It's certainly a steep learning curveemoticon

Hope all is well with you.
thumbnail
Nirav Prajapati, modificado hace 7 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 133 Fecha de incorporación: 25/06/15 Mensajes recientes
gordon daniels:
Niray: thaks for the reply. Good point.

Thanks

Fernando: thanks for the reply. The timeline is fictional. Just wanted to see how people felt about 7.0 at this stage.

I want to thank everyone who replied. While I was hoping for more input, the replies were helpful. I find 7.0 very interesting and hopeful.

thanks again for your replies.