Foros de discusión

Integrating Liferay portal with Liferay portal

thumbnail
Ray Augé, modificado hace 13 años.

Integrating Liferay portal with Liferay portal

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1197 Fecha de incorporación: 8/02/05 Mensajes recientes
Hey Everyone,

Has anyone ever integrated Liferay portal with different versions of itself as a means to reaching into new features while reducing, deferring or distributing the potential risks and/or costs of upgrading over a longer term?

I've been thinking that Liferay has several ways in which to do integrations, but rarely do we talk about doing this between or across versions of Liferay.

I realize having two different versions of the same software running has it's own costs, such as possibly requiring more hardware and/or higher management overhead, but could there ever be value in it?

We could even include the case for distributing load across several dedicated servers serving specific portions of the application.

I'm thinking like mini portal's having delegate responsibilities such as one handling Forums, another Blogs, another legacy apps from an older version, all connected and integrated through SSO, the mini portal's parasitically LDAPing off a main portal (cluster).

(Did you know that Liferay can act as LDAP server?)

Anyway, these are random ideas. I'm trying to think of ways that clients could gain features from newer versions almost incrementally while reducing the costs by sticking with older versions under certain scenarios.

All the usual suspects for integration avenues apply.
thumbnail
Shagul Khajamohideen, modificado hace 13 años.

RE: Integrating Liferay portal with Liferay portal

Liferay Master Mensajes: 758 Fecha de incorporación: 27/09/07 Mensajes recientes
Hi Ray,

This looks like an interesting idea. The advantage would be the gradual migration of content while keeping the site highly available as well as offering the latest features. As you have noted, there is an additional cost and that is something that will influence the decision on a case by case basis.
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1519 Fecha de incorporación: 7/08/06 Mensajes recientes
I think you could do that quite easily with the new SAML IdP and SP plugins + vldap plugin.
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1197 Fecha de incorporación: 8/02/05 Mensajes recientes
That's exactly what I was thinking!

Although it would be limited to the current or later versions, not existing ones that don't support it, which is still better than nothing!

In the meantime we might have some other non-SAML avenues which could still work with older versions.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
We currently have different version of LF 4, 5, 6 running but we really haven't integrated them except through URL hyperlinks.
thumbnail

Have you considered using widget mode to provide tighter integration?

Portlet in version A in widget mode displayed in version B using iframe portlet?

I supposed the types of customizations involved in each version affects this scenario, but if it were largely at the portlet level, then this could work nicely.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
Widget mode, I didn't know about it. Seems interesting.

However, as was the main problem with SOA, servers are "owned" by different departments. It's very difficult to integrate just the parts because the the responsibility dilemma - who is responsible when something goes wrong. This is especially important when there is a periodic "improvements" to a widget. Revision/version synchronization, ability to continue using specific revision would be necessary.