Foros de discusión

New organizations created won't show until server restart!

Marcos Laurito, modificado hace 7 años.

New organizations created won't show until server restart!

Junior Member Mensajes: 99 Fecha de incorporación: 18/04/13 Mensajes recientes
I'm using liferay 6.1.
I create a new org, and it creates just fine. But if I search that newly created org, it won't appear anywhere.
After I restart Liferay Server, the new org appear but, in control panel, it says "No services registered for this organization". The rest of the org options works fine.

Any ideas?
I'm suspecting it has to do with the database cache. I've tried using the "Clear the database cache" button on "Server Administration" but doing that do not fix this issue.

Thank and sorry for my english.
Marcos Laurito, modificado hace 6 años.

RE: New organizations created won't show until server restart!

Anyone can help me with this???
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado hace 6 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 6400 Fecha de incorporación: 23/09/08 Mensajes recientes
Organizations, as far as I remember, are shown through the search index. Try reindexing. Are you running a cluster? Seems like you are, but haven't properly set it up(?)
thumbnail
Andrew Jardine, modificado hace 6 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2416 Fecha de incorporación: 22/12/10 Mensajes recientes
Just to add to Olaf's comment, in case you aren't sure how to trigger a reindexing at runtime -- going from memory here as it has been a while since 6.1 and the UI has changed A LOT since then.

In the control panel under the "Server Administration" section under the resources tab you will find a button "Reindex all search indexes". Add your organization, validate that it can't be found with search, hit that button and search again. If it works after a reindexing, then (and I bet Olaf is right) -- it's for sure an issue writing or syncing your search index. If that is the case, the same issue should also manifest itself when you add other entities like a new user.

Andrew Jardine:
Just to add to Olaf's comment, in case you aren't sure how to trigger a reindexing at runtime -- going from memory here as it has been a while since 6.1 and the UI has changed A LOT since then.

In the control panel under the "Server Administration" section under the resources tab you will find a button "Reindex all search indexes". Add your organization, validate that it can't be found with search, hit that button and search again. If it works after a reindexing, then (and I bet Olaf is right) -- it's for sure an issue writing or syncing your search index. If that is the case, the same issue should also manifest itself when you add other entities like a new user.

Thanks. It is, in fact, the problem you described as it happens also when i try to add other entities like users, and also if i click "Reindex all search indexes" and clear DB and VM caches, after a little while, the entities appear ok.
So you say that it is caused by an issue writing or syncing the search index. How can i fix it? I'ts there
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2416 Fecha de incorporación: 22/12/10 Mensajes recientes
Hi Marcos,

Actually I would have thought for sure that it was related to clustering as Olaf said -- so I am surprised that you are having this problem after hearing you say that you are not clustered.

If doing the reindexing alone (forget the caches -- they are bypassed when doing lucene searches) doesn't show immediate results then there must be some issue or setting preventing immediate indexing updates. You say that it does eventually show up so I think that rules out any possibility that (assuming you are using the /data/lucene location for your index files) there are permissions issues on the folders that are required to read/write the index. It feels like maybe someone has altered the batch settings that prevents writes to happen right away? Some questions for your --

1. Is this on your local machine? or on one of your servers?

2. What OS are you running?

3. Are you using the local (to the server) indexing on the same disk as Liferay is installed? or are you using a network share or something remotely storing the index?

4. Can you provide your portal-ext settings to us?

Andrew Jardine:
Hi Marcos,

Actually I would have thought for sure that it was related to clustering as Olaf said -- so I am surprised that you are having this problem after hearing you say that you are not clustered.

If doing the reindexing alone (forget the caches -- they are bypassed when doing lucene searches) doesn't show immediate results then there must be some issue or setting preventing immediate indexing updates. You say that it does eventually show up so I think that rules out any possibility that (assuming you are using the /data/lucene location for your index files) there are permissions issues on the folders that are required to read/write the index. It feels like maybe someone has altered the batch settings that prevents writes to happen right away? Some questions for your --

3. Are you using the local (to the server) indexing on the same disk as Liferay is installed? or are you using a network share or something remotely storing the index?

Andrew, thank you very much for your help. I'll give you some answers:
I'ts on one of my local servers, a server located at my company.

Ubuntu Server 12.04.3 LTS.

I don't remember configuring nothing related to indexes. I'm using Liferay version that comes bundled with Tomcat. Is there any option con configure something about indexes?? I can't answer you on this because i don't know wether i'm using indexes on local disk, but i can tell you for sure that i'm not using it on a network share or something like that.

jdbc.default.driverClassName=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver
jdbc.default.url=.....
coding=UTF-8&useFastDateParsing=false
jdbc.default.username=....
jdbc.default.password=....
jdbc.default.maxIdleTime=1800
jdbc.default.maxActive=1960
jdbc.default.maxPoolSize=200

counter.connection.heartbeat.job.interval=30
schema.run.enabled=true
schema.run.minimal=true
jabber.xmpp.server.enabled=false
reverse.ajax.enabled=false
javascript.fast.load=true

theme.portlet.decorate.default=true
theme.porlet.sharing.default=true
portlet.css.enabled=false

last.modified.check=false
theme.css.fast.load=true
theme.images.fast.load=true
javascript.log.enabled=false
layout.template.cache.enabled=false
browser.launcher.url=
combo.check.timestamp=true
freemarker.engine.cache.storage=soft:1
freemarker.engine.modification.check.interval=0
openoffice.cache.enabled=false
velocity.engine.resource.manager.cache.enabled=false
com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.cache.CacheFilter=false
com.liferay.portal.servlet.filters.themepreview.ThemePreviewFilter=true
web.server.http.port=....
organizations.user.group.membership.enabled=true

live.users.enabled=true
auth.simultaneous.logins=false

com.liferay.portal.upload.LiferayFileItem.threshold.size=10000000

search.container.page.default.delta=200
search.container.page.delta.values=5,10,20,30,50,75,200

com.liferay.portal.sharepoint.SharepointFilter=false

editor.wysiwyg.default=ckeditor
editor.wysiwyg.portal-web.docroot.html.portlet.blogs.edit_entry.jsp=ckeditor
editor.wysiwyg.portal-web.docroot.html.portlet.journal.edit_article_content.jsp=ckeditor
editor.wysiwyg.portal-web.docroot.html.portlet.message_boards.edit_configuration.jsp=ckeditor
editor.wysiwyg.portal-web.docroot.html.portlet.wiki.edit.html.jsp=ckeditor

users.screen.name.validator=com.liferay.portal.security.auth.LiberalScreenNameValidator

users.reminder.queries.enabled=false
users.reminder.queries.custom.question.enabled=false

portal.logging.com.liferay.portal.security.auth.LDAPAuth=OFF
portal.logging.com.liferay.portal.security.ldap=OFF
portal.logging.com.liferay.portal.security.ldap.PortalLDAPUtil=OFF

default.layout.template.id=1_column

journal.article.check.interval=1

ldap.import.lock.expiration.time=60000

thumbnail

Hmm -- yeah I don't see anything in there. If you haven't changed anything then I would guess that the $LIFERAY_HOME/data/lucene directory is where your search indexes are being written.

Ok -- next things to try/check.

1. SSH into the server and validate that the user that is running the liferay process is also the user who has read/write access to the $LIFERAY_HOME/data/lucene (and child folders).

2. I would next try bumping the logging temporarily to see if any indexing errors popup when you add a new user or org. Go to Control Panel > Server Administration > Log Levels (tab) and then Add Category with

[indent]com.liferay.portal.search
ALL[/indent]

.. and then tail the logs to see if something comes up.

Andrew Jardine:
Hmm -- yeah I don't see anything in there. If you haven't changed anything then I would guess that the $LIFERAY_HOME/data/lucene directory is where your search indexes are being written.

Ok -- next things to try/check.

1. SSH into the server and validate that the user that is running the liferay process is also the user who has read/write access to the $LIFERAY_HOME/data/lucene (and child folders).

2. I would next try bumping the logging temporarily to see if any indexing errors popup when you add a new user or org. Go to Control Panel > Server Administration > Log Levels (tab) and then Add Category with

[indent]com.liferay.portal.search
ALL[/indent]

.. and then tail the logs to see if something comes up.

Ok, did what you asked.
Give all possible permissions to /data/lucene and childs.
Added the new category to the logs. Added a new org.
Nothing found in the logs related to indexes, lucene or such things...
What did you expect to find in the logs??
thumbnail

Hi Marcos,

I thought that the log configuration would cascade to the child packages as well -- I'm almost certain it does, but on the off chance that it doesn't, Try adding these log levels as well

[indent]com.liferay.portal.search.lucene
ALL
[/indent]

and

[indent]com.liferay.portal.kernel.search.lucene
ALL
[/indent]

.. actually now that I am typing it out, I think it was the kernel one we're after -- but add both as it will cause no harm. Once those are set, reindex and validate that you see a whole pile of logging specifying that objects are being written. If you do, then try adding a new organization or user and validate that a line appear for it (indicating that it is being indexed) when you hit save.

Andrew Jardine:
Hi Marcos,

I thought that the log configuration would cascade to the child packages as well -- I'm almost certain it does, but on the off chance that it doesn't, Try adding these log levels as well

[indent]com.liferay.portal.search.lucene
ALL
[/indent]

and

[indent]com.liferay.portal.kernel.search.lucene
ALL
[/indent]

.. actually now that I am typing it out, I think it was the kernel one we're after -- but add both as it will cause no harm. Once those are set, reindex and validate that you see a whole pile of logging specifying that objects are being written. If you do, then try adding a new organization or user and validate that a line appear for it (indicating that it is being indexed) when you hit save.

OK, will try this.
Another thing i've noticed is that when i try to delete an org. my browser start to load and never finish until, after a while, it shows "bad gateway error". If i go back to another page of my liferay, it works ok, but if i try to open "Users and Orgs" from "Control panel" it goes with bad gateway again. To make it work again, i have to clear DB and VM caches through the "Server administration" option.
thumbnail

Bad gateway? That sounds more like a proxy error to me than a Liferay error. You mentioned that this was one of your server environments where you see this issue.

1. Do you have a proxy in front of the server?

2. If yes, what are you using for a proxy?

3. I forgot to ask what you app server is, but I am assuming that it is Tomcat? (maybe you mentioned it above -- i'm just too lazy to scroll back up ;))

Olaf Kock:
Organizations, as far as I remember, are shown through the search index. Try reindexing. Are you running a cluster? Seems like you are, but haven't properly set it up(?)

Thanks. No, i'm not using a cluster.