Foros de discusión

Customizing Liferay 6 for School Admin - Need directions

thumbnail
Kzvi Kzvi, modificado hace 13 años.

Customizing Liferay 6 for School Admin - Need directions

Junior Member Mensajes: 30 Fecha de incorporación: 1/02/11 Mensajes recientes
Hi Experts,
I am new to liferay and this community. I am trying to create few admin portlets for my school administration inour liferay setup. I hope this would make our school admins/teachers life much easier.

I have read through several documents on the liferay 6 and am really excited about this revolutionary portal solution.

I am looking for some directions which can help me speed up on this project. I am currently looking for developing portlets which can
- track student attendance (each teacher may have access rights to add/update)
- record exam marks (not sure who should have update access to this? teachers or admins?)

Here are some questions I want to ask

1. Do we have any custom portlets in/outside community which I can use as a start point for any of the above two. (I searched plugin repo and couldn't find any)

2. I would like to get more understanding of liferay 6 admin but I am not able to reach any detailed document/tutorial/video which talks about liferay6. I keep hitting liferay 5 docs.
Any pointers would be great help.

3. After browsing through some of the old posts on this forum I found that setting up organizations is probably the most important thing in a school/university setup. I found a liferay 5 doc on this location (http://www.liferay.com/web/guest/community/wiki/-/wiki/Main/Organization+administration). Do we have similar doc for liferay 6?

4. Is there any marketplace for liferay6 theme development, where I can hire a UI developer to do beautiful user interface? (since I am a bad UI designer emoticon ) Any pointers would be appreciated.

BTW I hv already purchased the MEAP edition of latest book "liferay in action" and reading it. I hope one day I would be able to contribute to this great community in some way.
thumbnail
Kzvi Kzvi, modificado hace 13 años.

RE: Customizing Liferay 6 for School Admin - Need directions

Bump !! Just looking for some directions from experts around.
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2871 Fecha de incorporación: 31/08/06 Mensajes recientes
Hi Kzvi,

The official documentation for Liferay 6 can be found at www.liferay.com/documentation/liferay-portal/6.0/. The Administration guide has a chapter that explains the main concepts including organizations.

Regarding the portlets you are looking for, there isn't any released yet but I know of several organizations working on elearning related portlets that will most probably release them to the marketplace when it is launched later this year.
thumbnail
Suresh Nimmakayala, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 690 Fecha de incorporación: 18/08/04 Mensajes recientes
Hi Kzvi,

you got some luck or still looking for help ?

i am working on attendance portlet
1)
Created a community Student

Get the users from Student Community

2) View the Attendace entries for user

3)Edit/Update a attendance entry

4) save entries

see the progress Attendance Portlet
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
You may want to make divisions into an organization because they usually have structure.
Example:
Science - Physics, Chemistry, Geophysics
Social Science
Humanity - Art, English

Make courses into a community because there might be a joint course between different divisions.
A class may have templates so professors will be able to setup a default page with required portlets to provide information for the students.
A class may have team assignments etc.

Probably better to model your requirements before starting.
thumbnail

Liferay Master Mensajes: 690 Fecha de incorporación: 18/08/04 Mensajes recientes
in my case Tutor can do the bulk attendance for all learners for that course, my custom requirement is based on the course for whole day not involved based on the subjects, so i store courseId in courseName field.

Archivos adjuntos:

thumbnail
Kzvi Kzvi, modificado hace 12 años.

Thanks everyone for your reply on this thread. I had lost hope after watching this thread for few days. Now I visited it after several weeks and see some good responses. Sorry for the late response on this.

We did choose the organization way to create each school into the portal since going portal instance route was not easy in terms of automating things.

We are extensively using multiple communities for each school specific needs. This way more focused conversation can happen. We are going to launch the product soon and hope to see your feedback and input on it.

I like the way attendance portlet has been developed in above two examples and we have also developed similar portlet with more usability aspects in mind so we can reduve the number of clicks a teacher makes for marking absense/excuse.
thumbnail

Kzvi Kzvi:
Thanks everyone for your reply on this thread. I had lost hope after watching this thread for few days. Now I visited it after several weeks and see some good responses. Sorry for the late response on this.

We did choose the organization way to create each school into the portal since going portal instance route was not easy in terms of automating things.

We are extensively using multiple communities for each school specific needs. This way more focused conversation can happen. We are going to launch the product soon and hope to see your feedback and input on it.

I like the way attendance portlet has been developed in above two examples and we have also developed similar portlet with more usability aspects in mind so we can reduve the number of clicks a teacher makes for marking absense/excuse.

glad you liked mine ,share yours how your attendance portlet looks ?
Vijay Makwana, modificado hace 10 años.

New Member Mensajes: 2 Fecha de incorporación: 5/12/13 Mensajes recientes
hey....suresh
im also working the tutor site so i need also attendanec portlet so anywhere provide the free attendance portlet ..
thumbnail
Kzvi Kzvi, modificado hace 12 años.

Hitoshi Ozawa:
You may want to make divisions into an organization because they usually have structure.
Example:
Science - Physics, Chemistry, Geophysics
Social Science
Humanity - Art, English

Make courses into a community because there might be a joint course between different divisions.
A class may have templates so professors will be able to setup a default page with required portlets to provide information for the students.
A class may have team assignments etc.

Probably better to model your requirements before starting.

Thanks Hitoshi
- We have chosen communities for each classes and courses both.
- Each community for a class has all students of that class as part of the private community so that they can have relevant conversations on community forums/blogs/pages.
- I am still struggling on how to mix the course and class communities so that it gives seamless experience to user in terms of not worrying where the conversation is happening. Please share any thoughts on this.
- Good idea about using sub org for departments. It makes sense.
thumbnail
jelmer kuperus, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1191 Fecha de incorporación: 10/03/10 Mensajes recientes
Have you looked at http://www.jasig.org/uportal

I have no experience with it but it's a competing portal that focusses exclusively in the domain you are working in. So possibly might be a better fit