Foros de discusión

Eclipse Publish to Server

Kirk Stork, modificado hace 13 años.

Eclipse Publish to Server

Junior Member Mensajes: 33 Fecha de incorporación: 19/05/10 Mensajes recientes
Hello,

I've been experimenting with Eclipse Vaadin integration and the LiferayIDE.

After configuring a server runtime for Liferay using the LiferayIDE (I'm using a Tomcat6 Liferay bundle), and either creating a Vaadin app (following the methods for deployment to Liferay), or a LiferayIDE plugin project, it appears that you can:

1. Right click your project and choose "Run As" -> "Run on Server", or
2. On the server instance, "Add and Remove...", and then select your project to deploy

After doing this, sure enough you see the catalina.out scrolling by giving you the feeling all is well. Except for this warning:

WARNING: A docBase <...>/Liferay_Eclipse_Runtime/liferay-portal-6.0.5/tomcat-6.0.26/webapps/MyPortlet-portlet inside the host appBase has been specified, and will be ignored.

And, some other strange behaviors occur after deploying this way (like frequent Eclipse pop-up windows saying "Can't deploy", null pointer exceptions without any useful indication of where or why the null pointer occurred.)

But I then discovered that if I export my projects to a war file, and then drop them in the Liferay deploy folder, I get different behavior. Namely, no warning about the docBase, and no odd behaviors (or I should say, only odd behaviors that appear to be my own fault).

So what's the deal? Is it simply the case that Eclipse's publishing mechanism can't be used with Liferay, or am I missing something fundamental?

Is there a way to configure eclipse to "publish" by putting the war file in the deploy folder instead of whatever it is doing now? (which appears to be a direct copy to the tomcat webapps directory).
Kirk Stork, modificado hace 13 años.

RE: Eclipse Publish to Server

Junior Member Mensajes: 33 Fecha de incorporación: 19/05/10 Mensajes recientes
Kirk Stork:

Is there a way to configure eclipse to "publish" by putting the war file in the deploy folder instead of whatever it is doing now? (which appears to be a direct copy to the tomcat webapps directory).

This isn't an answer, but I found this nice little demo in video form:

Code, Deploy and Test with Liferay and Vaadin

This provides some evidence that short-cycle integrated Eclipse sessions with auto-publishing to Liferay were not supported in late 2009 -- you need to deploy using the war export. I found the bits about switching back and forth between portal deployment to a regular Tomcat instance and a Liferay Tomcat bundle useful.

The above demo doesn't take into account the Liferay IDE, however. I'm still hopeful I'll find a way eventually to use auto-publish to Liferay instances.