Foros de discusión

Multiple ext plugins

thumbnail
Pascal BEGUE, modificado hace 13 años.

Multiple ext plugins

Junior Member Mensajes: 29 Fecha de incorporación: 17/12/09 Mensajes recientes
Hi,

As far as I know, it is possible to have more than one ext plugins with the plugins SDK.

Unfortunately, it is not possible with the Liferay IDE (I am getting an error message).

Am I wrong ? Do I have to limit my developments using only one ext plugin ?

Thanks for your help.

Pascal
thumbnail
Sandeep Nair, modificado hace 13 años.

RE: Multiple ext plugins

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1744 Fecha de incorporación: 6/11/08 Mensajes recientes
Frankly speaking Pascal i was happy with one extension environment. Ext plugin has lots of problem even in EE version. There are class loading issues. In ext environment you just had to start server once after deployment. Here you have to start server twice and that too in a proper way.

So to answer your question if possible stick to one Ext Plugin.
thumbnail
Tomas Polesovsky, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 676 Fecha de incorporación: 13/02/09 Mensajes recientes
Hi Pascal,

I'm trying to make Ext Plugin more usable (see LPS-9442). But for now it is really far easier to use just one.

-- tom
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 6396 Fecha de incorporación: 23/09/08 Mensajes recientes
Tomas Polesovsky:
But for now it is really far easier to use just one.

+1, when you use multiple ext-plugins, you're supposed to touch each file in only one ext-plugin. Every plugin that contains a file that's already been touched by a different ext-plugin will be rejected. Now think of web-xml...

Using multiple ext-plugins definitely works, but is to be considered to be an advanced feature - usable if you know what you have to expect. As Tomas said - it's really a lot easier to just use one for the time being.
thumbnail
Gregory Amerson, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1123 Fecha de incorporación: 16/02/10 Mensajes recientes
Thanks guys for the discussion. Until all of the work that Tomas has been doing actually lands in portal, at least for 6.0.x I think its safest to only have one ext-plugin per tomcat instance. Especially for the Liferay IDE which many first-time liferay developers will be using.
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 978 Fecha de incorporación: 3/01/10 Mensajes recientes
Not sure if this is helpful comment:

for each client workspace, I've been maintaining a *-util regular Java project which I export to /lib/ext/*-util.jar which does various things including interfacing with service jars (also deployed to /lib/ext) (comparators, general utilities for multiple portlets, etc.)

use of ext plugin over global classpath jar needs consideration ; my advantage is that I outsource for ext approach but still can use my own global jars without interfering with ext ; and I can have multiple /lib/ext/*.jar for many things
thumbnail
Gregory Amerson, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1123 Fecha de incorporación: 16/02/10 Mensajes recientes
Just an update, in the upcoming release of Liferay IDE 1.5 (releasing in about a week) you can do deploy multiple Ext plugins to the Liferay tomcat instance due to the improvements in Ext deployments made in upcoming 6.0.6 version of Liferay Portal.
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 978 Fecha de incorporación: 3/01/10 Mensajes recientes
interesting this

just coming out of the silent dev zone towards deploy of new www.cbi.ca (on 6.0.5) with much public and private going on (plug plug in ?)

I guess additional challenge is coordinating multiple ext from one or more parties involved
thumbnail
kiran kumar, modificado hace 11 años.

New Member Mensajes: 5 Fecha de incorporación: 1/02/12 Mensajes recientes
I am using Liferay 6.1 EE. Both plugins sdk and tomcat bundle are EE. Is it possible to deploy morethan one ext(ant deploy). The first ext war is deployed and is applied successfully. When I deploy the second ext war, i got
14:09:46,924 ERROR [ExtHotDeployListener:159] Extension environment for sample-file-ext cannot be applied because of detected conflicts:
Captcha-Portlet-Action-ext:
ext-web/docroot/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
ext-web/docroot/WEB-INF/liferay-portlet-ext.xml
ext-web/docroot/WEB-INF/portlet-ext.xml
ext-web/docroot/WEB-INF/struts-config-ext.xml
ext-web/docroot/WEB-INF/tiles-defs-ext.xml
ext-web/docroot/WEB-INF/web.xml

Is it the limitation of Liferay to use only one ext? or have I missed any configuration setting?

Thanks.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 14914 Fecha de incorporación: 2/09/06 Mensajes recientes
No, you missed the discussion that each separate EXT should not modify the same files.

Your log message shows that you're doing that, the "Extension environment for sample-file-ext cannot be applied because of detected conflicts" message.
thumbnail

No. Both the ext's contain different Actions. One of the ext contains CaptchaPortletAction and the other one contains LoginAction with each struts-config-ext.xml modified accordingly in both the ext's.

The same is happening when I deploy(ant deploy) two sample blank ext's(created with plugins sdk 6.1 ee) and deployed.

But, I am able to deploy(direct deploy) through the eclipse IDE any number of ext wars. Whereas ant deploy, I can only deploy one ext, and for the second one I got "Conflicts" error.
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 14914 Fecha de incorporación: 2/09/06 Mensajes recientes
Because each of the EXT plugins have the standard XML files that cannot be merged, hence your error.

Just because they have different actions doesn't mean there's not corresponding stuff in the standard files that hook them up.

Just say no to multiple EXT plugins. Use one w/ both of your action classes in it.
thumbnail

Thanks David H Nebinger.

Is there any scope to use multiple ext's or I should strictly stick to a single extension environment that contains many action classes?
thumbnail

Multiple EXTs were not meant to be supported. While some may have been able to get a narrow configuration to work, it should be avoided.

Frankly, there is no reason at all for multiple EXTs. EXTs have clearly defined use cases and, since you're the developer, you only need just one.

Most of your work should be going into the other plugins, anyway.
thumbnail

Thanks David.
Dileepkumar R, modificado hace 11 años.

New Member Mensajes: 4 Fecha de incorporación: 5/03/12 Mensajes recientes
Hi David,

What the case if multiple developers are developing multiple ext's with different Actions using Extension Environment. How to deploy them?
thumbnail

Use a decent SCM tool that can merge changes from many developers.

I'm currently playing with git/github.com, so I can see that they would support such a thing...
thumbnail
Sylvain Sicard, modificado hace 11 años.

New Member Mensajes: 2 Fecha de incorporación: 28/06/12 Mensajes recientes
This is not only a SCM issue.
There are a couple of use case where multiple ext-plugins would be more convenient than one.
For example, if my compagny works on several Liferay projects, I would have one "generic fix pack" ext plugin and one "project specific" ext plugin. The first ext would be in one svn repo ( a compagny wide repo ) with it's own life cycle and the second ext would be in a project specific repo.
In this use case it would be great to deploy the two ext plugins and let Liferay merge them at runtime.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
The problem with multiple ext-plugins is application server may not load ext-plugins in the same order everytime. If ext-plugins aren't dependent of each other, this won't be a problem but if there is, it may cause an error. From the liferay.com side, it would be better to make developers merge all changes into one ext-plugin before it's deployed to lessen bug reports that's really a fault of the developer.

I just don't see why you just can't write a simple script to merge all your files into one ext-plugin and just deploy that. It's probably going to be easier to track bugs this way too.
thumbnail
Raja Seth, modificado hace 11 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 233 Fecha de incorporación: 18/08/11 Mensajes recientes
Thanks a lot Hitoshi. It served my problem.... emoticon