Foros de discusión

Portlet deployed but not registered (random issue)

Olivier Spieser, modificado hace 8 años.

Portlet deployed but not registered (random issue)

New Member Mensajes: 13 Fecha de incorporación: 6/06/11 Mensajes recientes
Hi,

I'm currently working on a liferay portal with liferay version 6.2 ga4 and several plugins.

Time to time I make a clean installation of the whole portal :
- Delete tomcat folder and deploy a new one.
- Deploy ROOT.war in webapps and all plugins (around 15) in liferay hot deploy folder.
- Start tomcat.

Most of the time everything is fine but sometime some plugins are not deployed even if the message "Deployment will start in a few seconds." is displayed.
The portal does not display any error and seems to fail silently. Do you know what can cause the issue ?

ps : I've now activated the TRACE for "com.liferay" but the problem does not appear anymore so I have only the default level logs.

Thank you for you help.
thumbnail
Ravi Kumar Gupta, modificado hace 8 años.

RE: Portlet deployed but not registered (random issue)

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1302 Fecha de incorporación: 24/06/09 Mensajes recientes
This issue has been there for long.. encountered this first in 2011 and there were few discussions also on the same. This happens to me still. Rare, but exists.

I usually, delete the portlet(only the portlet causing this) from webapps and redeploy. It works fine. I don't restart or delete temp these days. Just redeploying the portlet works. If that fails, I open the portlet's web.xml, edit, save --just to change the modified date. This way, deployment will happen again since descriptor changed.

I did not try to get into depth of this issue, may be I should emoticon
Olivier Spieser, modificado hace 8 años.

New Member Mensajes: 13 Fecha de incorporación: 6/06/11 Mensajes recientes
Hi Ravi, thank you for you answer. This issue is a pain and I'm trying to find a more fiable solution.

I've got two ideas which could improve the situation :

- Reduce the number of plugins to deploy (by grouping our portlet together in one plugin). The result would be to have less plugin so less risks to have deployment issues.

- Use direct deploy to not use liferay hot deploy.

What do you think ? Have you try any of this two workarounds ?
thumbnail
Ravi Kumar Gupta, modificado hace 8 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1302 Fecha de incorporación: 24/06/09 Mensajes recientes
We usually go for less number of plugins when it comes to portlets. But its not always possible. For one of my project we had more than 30 portlets deployed on single server. And any new portlet created would be a new war. Since the contexts for which they are developed are different and its not a good option to group the new portlets with old portlets. One other project had more than 40 portlets but all grouped as single war file.

So I guess this defers project to project. Sometimes you just can't control it.

Direct deploy vs hot deploy.. I don't think makes a big difference. For local development I use hotswapping so, I technically do deployment only once. And for servers hot deployment has been working fine. I have not seen this problem more than 2-3 times for servers. If problem occurs, I just redeploy the portlet.