Foros de discusión

Message Board Rank Titles

thumbnail
James Falkner, modificado hace 13 años.

Message Board Rank Titles

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1399 Fecha de incorporación: 17/09/10 Mensajes recientes
So one of the year-old tickets I took ownership of was based off of a request to change our message board rank titles. You know, the Star Wars-based titles you get based on the # of posts you have authored. The current system is:
  • Youngling: 1-24
  • Padawan: 25-99
  • Jedi Knight: 100-249
  • Jedi Master: 250-499
  • Jedi Council Member: 500-999
  • Yoda: 1000+

Ideally your 'rank' or title would be based off of the actual value of your contributions and participation (also known as Social Equity, implemented in Liferay Portal 6). But this site hasn't yet been upgraded, so that will have to wait. For now it's based on forum post #'s.

We have gotten many requests to change the titles to something different, something fun, clearer, and easier to understand (esp. to those who are not Star Wars fans). What are your ideas?

I googled (err.. I used the Google™ Search Engine) for some ideas, for example, I came up with New Member->Enthusiast->Advocate->Expert->Rock Star->Legend. Leave your ideas here, or vote for ones that have already been commented on. I know, not the most critical thing we need to get done, but fun anyways.
thumbnail

RE: Message Board Rank Titles

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1399 Fecha de incorporación: 17/09/10 Mensajes recientes
Jeff H brought up a good point.. you can also voice support for the existing titles!
thumbnail
Felix Ashirov, modificado hace 13 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 128 Fecha de incorporación: 26/02/10 Mensajes recientes
I think that the ranks should reflect the level of skills, like so (7 ranks instead of currently used 6):
  • "Novice"
  • "Enlightened" or "Advanced"
  • "Experienced" or "Skilled"
  • "Master"
  • "Grand Master"
  • "Guru"
  • "Omniscient" or "Grand Guru"
thumbnail
Simon Gołębiewski, modificado hace 13 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 246 Fecha de incorporación: 8/06/09 Mensajes recientes
Felix Ashirov:

I don't see the difference emoticon
thumbnail

Regular Member Mensajes: 128 Fecha de incorporación: 26/02/10 Mensajes recientes
Simon Gołębiewski:
Felix Ashirov:

I don't see the difference emoticon

There is no difference, I just could not choose a title of the options for these two ranks.
thumbnail
jelmer kuperus, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1191 Fecha de incorporación: 10/03/10 Mensajes recientes
The current titles feel unprofessional to me so yes, given the choice i would like to see them changed.

Regarding your suggestion

I think titles such as Enthusiast and advocate say more about someones attitude towards the product than they do about someones level of participation. And those two things may or may not be aligned.

Likewise Felix's suggestion seems to suggest that many posts implies being more skillful which often is also incorrect

I would opt for something like

Addict
thumbnail

Likewise Felix's suggestion seems to suggest that many posts implies being more skillful which often is also incorrect

Almost agree. If you look at the statistics, you will see that Top Posters obviously
are the most experienced and knowledgeable Liferay. These users have an expert help for beginners on the Forum.

Taking into account your point of view, I would suggest using a combination of statistic and skillful titles like this:

• "New member"
  • "Junior member"
  • "Regular member"
  • "Master"
  • "Guru"
  • "Omniscient" or "Grand Guru"

A good compromise, isn't it?
thumbnail

I like that idea - if you survive long enough to author 500 or so posts, chances are you're somewhat skilled emoticon
thumbnail

Ok, so from the feedback so far, here are the proposed titles, along with the approximate percentage of posters currently at that level. The last 3 assume that once you reach 250 posts, you are probably skilled enough to get a "skill" title.
  • New Member (~90%)
  • Junior Member (~7%)
  • Regular Member (~1%)
  • Master (< .5%)
  • Liferay Legend (< .5%)
  • Omniscient (< .5%)

If no objections, this will be implemented beginning next week.
thumbnail
Amos Fong, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2047 Fecha de incorporación: 7/10/08 Mensajes recientes
Hmm..."Omniscient" seems a bit much for me..

How about "Expert" after #3?
thumbnail

RE: Message Board Rank Titles (Respuesta)

Amos Fong:
Hmm..."Omniscient" seems a bit much for me..

How about "Expert" after #3?

Ok, I can see what you mean. So, let's insert Expert and drop Omniscient. I really do like the "Liferay XXXXXXX" titles, it sounds like something I'd want to put on a Resume (vs. just a "Master" or "Legend").

The new proposal is:
  • New Member (~90%)
  • Junior Member (~7%)
  • Regular Member (~1%)
  • Expert (< .5%)
  • Liferay Master (< .5%)
  • Liferay Legend (< .5%)
thumbnail
Corné Aussems, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1313 Fecha de incorporación: 3/10/06 Mensajes recientes
slightly off-topic and since i'm somewhat biased skip me from equation:

It would be rewarding to the translators to give them a subtitle, it's a hell of a job and some of them are not active on the forum.
We can't thank them enough
thumbnail

Corné Aussems:
slightly off-topic and since i'm somewhat biased skip me from equation:

It would be rewarding to the translators to give them a subtitle, it's a hell of a job and some of them are not active on the forum.
We can't thank them enough

I don't know how the subtitles (like "Liferay Staff") were implemented, but my guess is that they are based off of organization memberships. If there is an organization for translators, this might be easy, I'll ask. If not, let's come up with another way to thank them. I am working on a community landing page revamp, perhaps we can have a hall of fame as a sub-page emoticon
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2871 Fecha de incorporación: 31/08/06 Mensajes recientes
Hi Corné,

Fully agreed, everybody at the translation team is doing a great job and some of you are outstanding.

We are super grateful for your work and need to find ways to make sure you guys feel appreciated.
thumbnail

I really do like the "Liferay XXXXXXX" titles, it sounds like something I'd want to put on a Resume (vs. just a "Master" or "Legend").

Sounds good!