Foros de discusión

Orgnization site vs site which is assigned to orgnization

Abid Mehmood, modificado hace 8 años.

Orgnization site vs site which is assigned to orgnization

Junior Member Mensajes: 66 Fecha de incorporación: 8/09/11 Mensajes recientes
Hi,
We are implementing a Liferay 6. 2 solution, everything was set but they we had a problem. Thing is we are importing all the users from AD using LDAP with their group information. So in liferay we will have users and users's group. We planned to follow organization->sub-organization structure but customer don't want to assign all the users(no option to assign user groups to organization which i know why and it totally make sense ) to the organization manually which is kind of make sense. So then we had to change our design, now what we are doing is actually creating a department wise site then assigning user groups to the site and then linking site to organization. So two questions.

1) Does now it make any sense to have organization if so then what advantages will i have in this particular case
2) Do you see any drawbacks in our approach or should we follow a better approach which we are not aware of.

Thanks a lot

Regard

RE: Orgnization site vs site which is assigned to orgnization

Anyone???
thumbnail
Ho Yin Edward Chow, modificado hace 8 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 53 Fecha de incorporación: 28/08/13 Mensajes recientes
What you could do is create a hook that imports users from LDAP into Organizations and Sub-Organizations. That being said, in Liferay the Organization is the main tool for grouping users, while Sites are used to contain our content. These ideas are what is typically used as "Best Practice" and drive the allocation of users and what to do with them.

Thanks Ho Yin for the reply. Problem is my customer doesn't want any custom implementation, he wants all out-of-the-box from liferay so no option for creating a hook and doing this job. Any other suggestion? Do you find any problems or loopholes in our approach?

Regards
thumbnail
Ho Yin Edward Chow, modificado hace 8 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 53 Fecha de incorporación: 28/08/13 Mensajes recientes
The main drawback that I see with the approach is in regards to user administration. Organizations allows us to group our users and from there we can delegate the administration of the users to the admin of the organizations. If the amount of user administration isn't too large, there may not be an issue.