Foros de discusión

YUI dicontinued ... why Liferay continues with it?

thumbnail
Tanguy Thomas, modificado hace 8 años.

YUI dicontinued ... why Liferay continues with it?

New Member Mensaje: 1 Fecha de incorporación: 3/05/15 Mensajes recientes
Dear all,

We are new company watching into Liferay, and we face some issues. Some are technical, part of the learning curve, we find it rather hard to find support, but some are conceptual, and not understandable for us.

One of them is the fact that Liferay relies on AlloyUI for most of its design area, and I see Liferay 7 continues this way. But Alloyui is based on YUI which is discontinued: Yahoo does not maintain it anymore for long. Having worked for long in web design, I know what it means: you create some complex JS stuff that work on all browsers, but some years after they don't work anymore and you end up in trouble with your GUIs not working on modern browsers.

I think we are heading at full speed to this issues, so could you please share your ideas on that topic: do you use Alloyui yourself, or are you avoiding it for this reason, and is there a good reason for Liferay to stick with this technology that is already obsolete as discontinued ?

Thanks

PS : for those who wonder, our other major concern is the Service Builder that does not generate one to many relations ... I'll search for a good place to place a question on this, because it sounds crazy this does not exists anymore in LR 6.2 (it used to in LR 6.1 and before).
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez, modificado hace 8 años.

RE: YUI dicontinued ... why Liferay continues with it?

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 3089 Fecha de incorporación: 28/10/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi Tanguy,

Tanguy Thomas:

One of them is the fact that Liferay relies on AlloyUI for most of its design area, and I see Liferay 7 continues this way. But Alloyui is based on YUI which is discontinued: Yahoo does not maintain it anymore for long. Having worked for long in web design, I know what it means: you create some complex JS stuff that work on all browsers, but some years after they don't work anymore and you end up in trouble with your GUIs not working on modern browsers.

Please read this blog post from Nate that has all the answers you need: https://www.liferay.com/web/nathan.cavanaugh/blog/-/blogs/the-future-of-ui-development-and-alloyui-in-liferay-7

Tanguy Thomas:

PS : for those who wonder, our other major concern is the Service Builder that does not generate one to many relations ... I'll search for a good place to place a question on this, because it sounds crazy this does not exists anymore in LR 6.2 (it used to in LR 6.1 and before).

Yep, that was removed in Liferay 6.2 as part of this LPS: https://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-32250. Read the description to find the reason behind this.
For having the same behaviour just add the needed fields in the N relation part entity and the needed finders in service.xml.