Foros de discusión

Feedback for Liferay 6: Global unified breadcrumb

thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, modificado hace 13 años.

Feedback for Liferay 6: Global unified breadcrumb

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2871 Fecha de incorporación: 31/08/06 Mensajes recientes
Hey guys,

I'd like to receive some feedback on the global unified breadcrumb that has been introduced for Liferay 6. I've explained what it is in a blog post here: http://www.liferay.com/web/jorge.ferrer/blog/-/blogs/feedback-for-liferay-6%3A-global-unified-breadcrumb

What we are hoping for right now is comments regarding issues found from a usability or functional perspective. We'll be looking for ideas for improvements later, as part of the definition of the 6.1 roadmap, but right now our goal is to focus on polishing the features in 6.0 so that we can release 6.0 GA as soon as possible (hopefully within the next few weeks). Here are some specific points where I think your feedback would be most valuable:

• What do you think of the fact that the "Guest" community is renamed in the breadcrumb to show the portal name instead?
  • Should the breadcrumb be shown in the first page of each community too?
  • Do you think it's better or worse the fact that the breadcrumb changes the background color when it gets attached to the top to remain visible?

I'll be looking forward for your answers and options.
thumbnail
biju philip mani, modificado hace 13 años.

RE: Feedback for Liferay 6: Global unified breadcrumb

New Member Mensajes: 18 Fecha de incorporación: 8/08/09 Mensajes recientes
Jorge:
i downloaded the latest 6.0 (april 2010 version) and am having the following issues in the guest page
1. when i add a page, it is showing up and then vanishing in the dark coloured tab just above the bread crumb area.
2. when i go to manage pages, i see nothing under guest but the controlpanel >>communities >>guest shows that there are pages
3. in manage pages, when i try to add pages, i get 2 error messages " you have added invalid data. please try again" and "enter a valid name". i tried every combination and am still getting the same error. i think i am making a silly mistake. i am logged in as admin
4. not sure if it is related to bread crumbs, but the url when called comes up with /en/ in between and this is creating issues with navigation
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2871 Fecha de incorporación: 31/08/06 Mensajes recientes
Hi Biju,

I don't think this is related to the breadcrumb, but nevertheless I'll try to see if I can help.

Item #1 seems like a browser cache issue. Try clearing the cache completely (note chrome is quite tricky if you're using it). I'm assuming you're not using a custom theme, right?

For #2, can you try again with a new bundle, with no changes and post here the exact steps you follow? The rest of the issues seem related so let's focus on #2 first.
Thomas Vandahl, modificado hace 13 años.

New Member Mensaje: 1 Fecha de incorporación: 3/06/10 Mensajes recientes
I'm quite new to Liferay and I'm trying to port a Apache Turbine application into this environment. I was trying to add a breadcrumb entry to the page based on the object PortalUtil.getHttpServletRequest() gave me. This turns out to be a NamespaceServletRequest which uses prefixes for its attribute names. The breadcrumb JSP uses a different servletRequest implementation - without prefixes. How would I get access to the correct ServletRequest object?
thumbnail
Scott Rabon, modificado hace 13 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 48 Fecha de incorporación: 15/04/10 Mensajes recientes
Jorge Ferrer:

Should the breadcrumb be shown in the first page of each community too?

I don't think the Guest community breadcrumb should be shown first since communities are not hierarchical in nature, and the breadcrumb to me assumes a structured hierarchy. I also tried to remove it using the setting breadcrumb.show.guest.group=false but it still shows up. Does this work for the embedded breadcrumbs as well?

Scott
thumbnail

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your feedback.

We've noticed that in a very large percentage of Liferay installation the default (aka Guest) community acts as the main website that is an implicit parent of all others. So in Liferay 6 we've decided to acknowledge this fact and make it the parent of all organizations and communities in terms of navigation.

Since we know that not everybody will want this it can be disabled with the property you mention. I've double checked right now and it's working for me, so my guess is that you've set it in a file that is not being loaded (or is being overwritten by some other file). You can check the properties loaded in Control Panel >> Server Configuration >> properties to verify this.
thumbnail
prakash harigopal, modificado hace 13 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 101 Fecha de incorporación: 23/06/10 Mensajes recientes
Jorge,
Very useful details reg breadcrumb. Can we have the facility to add the Search Portlet to Breadcrumb also.

I have tried to add the search portlet in navigation menu and its working fine , but went through the liferay forums regarding adding the search portlet to breadcrumb and no discussions reg that.

If you can give some insights reg this , it will be great.

thanks
Prakash.
thumbnail
Ray Augé, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1197 Fecha de incorporación: 8/02/05 Mensajes recientes
You could try something like this:

in a jsp hook that overrides [tt]portal-web/docroot/html/taglib/ui/breadcrumb/display_style_1.jsp[/tt] do something like:

Before:
<ul class="breadcrumbs lfr-component">
	&lt;%= breadCrumbString %&gt;
</ul>

After:
<ul class="breadcrumbs lfr-component">
	&lt;%= breadCrumbString %&gt;

<li style="float:right;"><liferay-ui:search /></li>
</ul>

That basically worked for me. And although it was not perfectly pretty, it did work.
thumbnail

Regular Member Mensajes: 101 Fecha de incorporación: 23/06/10 Mensajes recientes
Ray,
Thanks a lot . Its working fine , but i need to customize the display of search portlet as it is showing in Liferay.com home page.

thanks
Prakash.
thumbnail
Ray Augé, modificado hace 13 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1197 Fecha de incorporación: 8/02/05 Mensajes recientes
As far as I can tell, all those are only html and css changes, also which you can do via jsp hook (on the Search portlet).
sasi Kanth, modificado hace 13 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 35 Fecha de incorporación: 1/07/09 Mensajes recientes
Hi,

I need to configure the Breadcrumb portlet like i dont want show the Parent URL in the breadcrumb.

This can be achieved through the code modification in the display_style_1.jsp file by removing the following line.

if (showParentGroups) {
	_buildParentGroupsBreadcrumb(selLayout.getLayoutSet(), portletURL, themeDisplay, sb);
}

But while customizing I have seen the parameter "showParentGroups". This is boolean value coming from init.jsp from an attribute.

Can anybody let me know where I can configure this option from front end?

Thank you in advance
thumbnail

Set this in portal-ext.properties

breadcrumb.show.parent.groups=false 

thanks
Prakash.
sasi Kanth, modificado hace 13 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 35 Fecha de incorporación: 1/07/09 Mensajes recientes
Prakash,

Thank you and will test it.

SasiKanth
Nick Straguzzi, modificado hace 11 años.

New Member Mensajes: 15 Fecha de incorporación: 11/05/12 Mensajes recientes
Jorge, is there any way to turn off the Global Unified Breadcrumb feature?

More to the point, I want to be able to show a breadcrumb trail INSIDE the Document Library portlet on my home page. Our users (and our internal staff) find it way too confusing, counterintuitive and just plain awkward to have to scroll to the top of the page to see the DL folder breadcrumb trail, appended to the 'page' trail. (Our DL portlet is towards the bottom of our home page). I honestly don't care too much whether the "global" BC trail includes the current folder path, but I definitely want somehow to show the "local" folder path within the DL portlet. Short of hooking it, is there anything I can do?

Regards,
Nick