Foros de discusión

Great work for the new theme on liferay.com!!!

Andy Leung, modificado hace 16 años.

Great work for the new theme on liferay.com!!!

Regular Member Mensajes: 131 Fecha de incorporación: 4/08/06 Mensajes recientes
Way to go Liferay!!!

Thank you for your great new theme and I feel so much better with your new theme now (as opposed to my previous post about your 4.3.1 theme, too dark and bad graphcis that make me sick).

I love the new theme because of the contrast, fading and most importantly (to me) it's much easier to my eye!! Although the menu is still a bit too dark (I know you are trying to make fading but again, to me it's just too dark in color, maybe you can try lighter with darker text.) but everything shows improvement like icons, text and especially the top drop-down-login-menu looks much much much better now (more in the right size to me). Before the change, the drop-down list looks like I have used the Windows Accessibility feature without really using it.

I am sorry I am not an artist. This is just my own opinion standing in a "pass-by" point of view and it really caught my attention!!!

Great work again, Liferay, looking forward to using your new breath-taking 5.0 in the near future ;)
thumbnail
Roman Hoyenko, modificado hace 16 años.

RE: Great work for the new theme on liferay.com!!!

Liferay Master Mensajes: 878 Fecha de incorporación: 8/10/07 Mensajes recientes
I agree, this theme looks much better, but you still can improve it.

First of all - the fonts are inconsistent through the portal -
Top Login menu is different from navigation menu is different from the fonts in the portal. Logo seems to use another font.

Font sizes are also different - Welcome menu is different from Search, different from navigation menu and again different in th forum.

Second - Tabs now look like they don't belong to the theme, they are very different from the navigation menu. The menu is not 3d, but tabs are. And the color is different. This makes it inconsistent. The same thing with the buttons.
Tabs have fadeout, buttons have double border, there is also "Actions" button that looks totally different (And Actions word sticks out). The "Go" button on the search menu is another design. "Welcome" menu on top is yet another design. I think you should unify those designs, so they look similar, it will make the site more consistent and like a whole thing, not a bunch of different things thrown together.

My personal preference - I would make borders thinner on the portlets, thick borders make things heavy and it doesn't look elegant and doesn't match with the menu and fonts.

Links - in some places links are blue and underscored by default (breadcrumbs, forum), in most of the other places they become underscored only when you hover over them. I think this should be consistent through the site.

Borders of the portlets and menu became flat, but some of the elements are 3D. I would make it all flat, I think it looks more professional.

Once again - I think the theme is moving in the right direction, but could be improved to look much better, more consistent and more professional.
thumbnail
Michael Young, modificado hace 16 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 846 Fecha de incorporación: 5/08/04 Mensajes recientes
Thanks for the feedback guys. This is exactly the type of feedback we are looking for. This is actually a work in progress, as you can see. Over the next couple days we'll iron most of these things you've mentioned.
thumbnail

Then I have a couple more bugs from you:

all for IE6

1. When hovering over menu the first item is black on balck background (or invisible)
2. Liferay logo is not transparent, you can't see background behind it.
3. Icon on "Actions" button has gray background instead of blue. The same with "Return to Full Page" icon.

While I was writing the post looks like you fixed 1 and 2 emoticon

3 is still not fixed.

4. Menu right corner in IE has a sharp corners, in FF it is rounded.
5. When reloading a strange image appeares in the corner for a moment, look at the attached picture.
thumbnail

Another issue: look at the attached picture
thumbnail
Nate Cavanaugh, modificado hace 16 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 94 Fecha de incorporación: 27/11/06 Mensajes recientes
Hi guys,
Thanks a ton for your comments and criticisms so far.

We had hoped to have all of the bugs squashed, but you guys have been great with helping us track them down.

One of the inconsitencies I was curious about was the 3d elements vs. flat. Could you include a screenshot of the 3dish elements?

Other than that, thanks a lot for all of the posts and feedback. It's always helpful to have a great community that's willing to help us track down these bugs.

PS. Roman, out of curiosity, any particular reason why you're still using IE6 rather than upgrading to 7? I'm always curious to find out peoples reasons for not upgrading emoticon
Andy Leung, modificado hace 16 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 131 Fecha de incorporación: 4/08/06 Mensajes recientes
Nate Cavanaugh:
Hi guys,
Thanks a ton for your comments and criticisms so far.

We had hoped to have all of the bugs squashed, but you guys have been great with helping us track them down.

One of the inconsitencies I was curious about was the 3d elements vs. flat. Could you include a screenshot of the 3dish elements?

Other than that, thanks a lot for all of the posts and feedback. It's always helpful to have a great community that's willing to help us track down these bugs.

PS. Roman, out of curiosity, any particular reason why you're still using IE6 rather than upgrading to 7? I'm always curious to find out peoples reasons for not upgrading emoticon

I can answer that for you. Corporate policy could be one of the reasons.
thumbnail

Here is the pic with some of the things I mentioned.

As for the IE6 - Andy is right, this is corporate policy, I would gladly use IE7, so I don't have to deal with IE6 bugs, but I can't unfortunately. I think IE6 is still the dominating browser, so it should be seriously considered.