Foros de discusión

liferay-portal-5.2.3 tomcat-6.0.18 not starting on WinXP

Greg Long, modificado hace 14 años.

liferay-portal-5.2.3 tomcat-6.0.18 not starting on WinXP

New Member Mensajes: 4 Fecha de incorporación: 19/07/09 Mensajes recientes
Is anyone experiencing similar problem with startup scripts for liferay-portal-5.2.3 tomcat-6.0.18 on WinXP?

Has anyone found a solution (couldn't find any Issue in the tracker as at 12 hours ago)

(2GB RAM, 10GB disk space, all Java/JRE paths correct - tomcat 5.5.27 DOES start)

I can start liferay-portal-5.2.3\tomcat-5.5.27 perfectly fine.
I can start liferay-portal-5.2.3\jboss-tomcat-5.0.0 too.

But attempt to start Liferay 5.2.3 / tomcat 6.0.18 is failing with no indication, no errors and no logs.

I'm trying to interrograte problems with startup scripts by tracing errors through the DOS .bat code and comparing 5.5.27 with 6.0.18 but not having much luck as yet.

The only thing I find is that my JAVA VM is not being passed to Catalina - the script insists on using built-in JVM, so I assume there's a script error - lookin' lookin'....

There are no logs written so it appears that Catalina is not starting at all.

Any advice/bug fixes greatly appreciated.

Greg.
thumbnail
Yongming Duan, modificado hace 14 años.

RE: liferay-portal-5.2.3 tomcat-6.0.18 not starting on WinXP

Regular Member Mensajes: 213 Fecha de incorporación: 15/10/07 Mensajes recientes
is your tomcat-6.0.18 a liferay bundle? or you deployed src to a empty tomcat 6.

Is bundled - the current/most recent recommended download

An update (successful)
Greg Long:
Is bundled - the current/most recent recommended download

1. changed setenv.bat

With correct JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME settings, I attempted to run catalina in debug. The response suggested I need to have JAVA_HOME point to a JDK - which it is.

This set me to thinking setenv.bat is changing my existing JAVA_HOME - it was. So I modified setenv.bat to prevent unsetting my JAVA_HOME env var as follows:

[indent]if not "%JAVA_HOME%" == "" (
REM set JAVA_HOME=
)

set JRE_HOME=%CATALINA_HOME%\jre1.5.0_17\win

[/indent]

2. WinXP Path may be error - perhaps too many characters?

I captured the long parameter string passed to catalina via start.bat and ran it.

Returned java class error ": File\Zones"

So I removed all the extraneous path entries from my PATH to only include java-specific entries.

I then saved this string (long calling command) as this:

[indent]
java -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 -Duser.timezone=GMT -Djava.security.auth.login.config="/conf/jaas.config" -Dorg.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.ENABLE_CLEAR_REFERENCES=false -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -Dfile.encoding=UTF8 -Duser.timezone=GMT -Djava.security.auth.login.config="C:\liferay_t6\liferay-portal-5.2.3\tomcat-6.0.18/conf/jaas.config" -Dorg.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.ENABLE_CLEAR_REFERENCES=false -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager -Djava.util.logging.config.file="C:\liferay_t6\liferay-portal-5.2.3\tomcat-6.0.18\conf\logging.properties" -Djava.endorsed.dirs="C:\liferay_t6\liferay-portal-5.2.3\tomcat-6.0.18\endorsed" -classpath "C:\Java\jdk1.5.0_19\bin;C:\liferay_t6\liferay-portal-5.2.3\tomcat-6.0.18\bin\bootstrap.jar" -Dcatalina.base="C:\liferay_t6\liferay-portal-5.2.3\tomcat-6.0.18" -Dcatalina.home="C:\liferay_t6\liferay-portal-5.2.3\tomcat-6.0.18" -Djava.io.tmpdir="C:\liferay_t6\liferay-portal-5.2.3\tomcat-6.0.18\temp" org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start[/indent]

...and we have success!

A solid start and auto-launched localost:8080.

Conclusion:

1. startup scripts are not recognising existing and correct JAVA_HOME / JRE_HOME var - it ignores them and sets its own.

2. there may be an upper limit to the length of the string that can be passed into catalina.bat (tomcat 6). Capturing the catalina calling script and removing extraneous path entries was the only change made that led to catalina starting successfully!

Cheers
Greg

Further success

It seems only issue 1 above - the 'setenv.bat' edit - was required ie. comment out the "set JAVA_HOME=" statement and we have a solid start.

Issue closed (for me I think)

Cheers
Greg