Foros de discusión

Accessibility Issues with Screen Reader

Snahendu Bhattacharya, modificado hace 10 años.

Accessibility Issues with Screen Reader

New Member Mensaje: 1 Fecha de incorporación: 23/08/13 Mensajes recientes
I have few questions on the process of accessibility remediation. I am not sure, whether this is the right forum to discuss this questions. Still my questions are as follows:

1. In my application, Table <caption> are not read out by JAWS while testing in Chrome. Is that a expected behavior?

2. While testing an iPad application we have found "Skip to main content" is not working on several occasion, though we have followed the standard mentioned by WCAG or WebAIM. Surprisingly while we opened WebAIM site in Tablet, all the instances of "skip to main content" didn't work as expected. Is this a expected behavior?

3. We have used <br> tag in table column header for split the text in a specific format. While reading with VO in iPad, it takes more than one swipe to read the entire column header. Is it to be considered as potential Accessibility bug?

It will be great help if you can respond to my queries or you can redirect me to the proper forum.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado hace 10 años.

RE: Accessibility Issues with Screen Reader

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 14916 Fecha de incorporación: 2/09/06 Mensajes recientes
While Liferay has made great strides in being 508 compliant, I don't believe they are officially compliant (maybe they are on the EE line, but not on the CE line). I remember a few years back this was a jira bug w/ corporate funding to support, but honestly I don't know what state it is in currently.

Note this is not the official Liferay position, it's just what I seem to remember about their 508 position...
thumbnail
Julio Camarero, modificado hace 10 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1668 Fecha de incorporación: 15/07/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi David,

we are working towards WCAG2.0 (by W3C) instead of focusing on the different standards defined by different countries (508, UNE... etc). At some point many countries defined their own standards and some of them were incompatible which made it impossible to comply with all of them. More and more countries are now adopting WCAG2.0, hopefully the USA will replace section 508 by it anytime soon too. However, most of 508 requirements are covered by WCAG2.0 too, so there are actually several 508 compliant portals using Liferay.

Liferay itself can not claim to be compliant because it is not a website, but a tool. Only the resulting portals can or can not be compliant. We are making a big effort to ensure all the portals built with Liferay are compliant out of the box, but it will always depend on the customizations you make, the theme you apply, the way your web content administrators create and maintain their content... etc

We do provide support for accessibility issues as part of EE, which means that if a customer detects an accessibility problem we will fix it as any other kind of bug detected in the product. We guarantee WCAG2.0 level AA for guest users and different levels for different kind of users. Feel free to open any ticket in JIRA you find using the "Accessibility" component and they will be considered as any other kind of bug.

Thank you guys!
thumbnail
Julio Camarero, modificado hace 10 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1668 Fecha de incorporación: 15/07/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi Snahendu,

regarding your questions:

1. This seems to be an issue with JAWS. Have you tried other screen readers? Chrome VOX has improved a lot lately and it is free.

2. The link "Skip to Main Content" may not work as you expect. I have also struggled with it in the past too since it doesn't move the focus to the part of the page you would expect, but I guess this is the way it is supposed to work since this is how it works in the W3C page too...

3. I would recommend you to use CSS instead of a <br />. You can add a span and make it display:block to achieve the same result.

cheers!