Foros de discusión

Shortening package, and file,names

thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 11 años.

Shortening package, and file,names

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
I think most Windows users know, Windows zip extractor doesn't work too well with liferay files because some path+names are too long. Users have to download something like 7zips to extract it. This requires making users to download and install the extract software adding complexity to liferay installation.

This issue has been brought up before but hasn't been resolved. I'm getting some complaints from some user about this and there were couple of threads about users not being able to install liferay because of this.

I'm going to try to shorten the names on my Japanese demo versions to resolve this issue. Your thoughts?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado hace 11 años.

RE: Shortening package, and file,names

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 14914 Fecha de incorporación: 2/09/06 Mensajes recientes
Do we have a list of the paths/names that are too long?

Surely we could put a patch together for this and submit it as a bug. Then the lcepatchers.org guys could pull it in...

Hmm, that brings up an interesting question... If the lcepatchers.org guys pulled in and applied the patch that wasn't accepted for the core of Liferay, would Liferay.com have to accept and implement the patch because lcepatchers use it?
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
Icepatchers don't do this. They only patch what's patched on liferay github. That's the rule there and they shouldn't bend it.
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 14914 Fecha de incorporación: 2/09/06 Mensajes recientes
Just wondering if there was a way to 'push' Liferay into fixing this... Just because a bug was opened and a patch submitted wouldn't mean they'd have to accept and/or apply it, regardless how much the community may want it...

As far as the list goes, I use WinZip and disable the zipfldrs extension, so I can't grab a list of the paths/files that are too big. Perhaps someone could pull a list together?
thumbnail

Just replacing string is the easy part. There's going to be some difficulty with the portlets that's using the methods. My users aren't too interested in installing new portlets from the net so it's really not that big of a problem. I think many developers will get very upset if liferay.com suddenly did this.
thumbnail

So you want it but you don't want it... emoticon
thumbnail

I'm separating a demo bundle with actual usage bundle. Demo bundles are setup by users so I want to make it simple. Actual usage bundles are setup by our engineers so they can be some what complicated.

Developers probably would complain but Marketing probably will agree with me. To think about it, liferay.com can just provide a simple script so developers would just be able to run it to convert their portlets. It won't be a problem here because clients want custom portlets anyways. They just want to see a demo to see what kinds of functions can be implemented in their own portlets.
thumbnail

To that end they could build a nice java installer that could extract the files w/o using windows zip folders...
thumbnail

Windows users don't have to install java now. It'll be ideal if users can just download, extract, and execute on Windows.
As of now, they have to get some other program to extract.

Installer would be another point of a bug to worry about. I probably don't want to see it too much.
thumbnail

Solved it. Will short\ly be making this it available. I'll need to make one for the 32 bit version and another for the 64 bit version.