Foros de discusión

Manage pages for different roles

Oliver Bayer, modificado hace 15 años.

Manage pages for different roles

Liferay Master Mensajes: 894 Fecha de incorporación: 18/02/09 Mensajes recientes
Hello everybody,

for the use of the cms it would be great if the omniadmin can limit the functionality of the "manage pages" portlet based on diffferent roles.

So e.g. one user -maybe the omniadmin- should have the right to edit the top navigation items (and therefore the sub-pages too) whereas other users should only have the rights to add and manage sub-pages.

Example situation:
Top navigation topics: Home | Sports | Politics | etc.

- The omniadmin should be able to add new top navigation pages or change the display order.
[indent]After the modification it may look like: Home | Sports | new Topic | [/indent]
- User A should have the rights to add new sub navigation topics or change their display order only of the topic "Sports".
[indent]User A may add sub-pages like: Basketball | Football | etc. [/indent]
- User B should have the rights to add new sub navigation topics or change their display order only of the topic "Politics".
[indent]User B may add sub-pages like: World Politics | News | etc. [/indent]

Is this already posible or do I have to edit the jps under "docroot \ html \ portlet \ communities \" on my own to fit these requirements? I'm using Liferay 5.2.1 trunk at revision 26564.

Greetings
Oli
Lisa Simpson, modificado hace 15 años.

RE: Manage pages for different roles

New Member Mensajes: 13 Fecha de incorporación: 23/02/09 Mensajes recientes
This is a critical issue for us. If this is indeed the case, it's a total deal breaker for us. We can't people editing other people's pages. And my tiny implementation team is *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* *NOT* managing all the edits for the hundreds of users we have now.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 894 Fecha de incorporación: 18/02/09 Mensajes recientes
Hi,

after waiting a while there are more and more threads regarding rights-management like the inheritance of rights based on their parent objects.....

But for the use of the CMS it would be a very handy feature if we would be able to set the roles for the manage pages portlet the way mentioned above. As Jason said in his thread (role based top menu) too it's not really practicable to set up many communities just to map the rights the right way.

Are there any plans for further development in this direction? Any more or less "official" statement from the development-team would be appreciated.
Oli
thumbnail
Adam T, modificado hace 15 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 34 Fecha de incorporación: 12/06/07 Mensajes recientes
I'm also struggling with this. I've tried setting up different communities but getting them cross-linked, having them appear as one site and dealing with the user membership seems very complicated for something that seems like a basic requirement.

Is there a recommended way to accomplish something like this?

Hi Adam,

I don't know if there is a recommended way to accomplish this but I've used the following (not quite perfect) workaround:
  • make a static navigation with the (hard coded) links to all the different communities as top navigation
  • move the original (dynamic) navigation-div to another place (maybe on the left side of your page) as sub navigation
  • for the children pages of the original navigation you can use something like the jquery accordion functionality to hide/ show them
With this workaround a community administrator can only edit the menu on the left side of a page (this is the navigation of the choosen community) while the top navigation (hard coded) stays the same and is not modifiable. I hope that you can understand the way I'm trying to implement it. If not or if you have a newer/ better workaround please let me know.

Greets Oli
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, modificado hace 14 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2034 Fecha de incorporación: 5/03/09 Mensajes recientes
I would tend to agree that this is the best solution. And it's a bit overly complex. I have a couple of other solutions in the hopper to address this very issue...

1) In the "Merge Pages" feature, let me choose at what point in my site map that I want the pages merged in

2) Set up a workflow wizard that will let you point edits of certain pages to speific users/groups for approval.
thumbnail
Lisa Simpson, modificado hace 14 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2034 Fecha de incorporación: 5/03/09 Mensajes recientes