Foros de discusión

RE: Liferay 6.2 Milestone 4: Community Verifier

thumbnail
James Falkner, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay 6.2 Milestone 4: Community Verifier

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1399 Fecha de incorporación: 17/09/10 Mensajes recientes
Hi Team,

This team did an outstanding job last year in finding and verifying almost 400 bugs soon after the 6.1 release, cutting the unverified list almost in half! We need your help once more. I'd like to re-energize the team and make it easier to participate, by making a couple of changes and really concentrating on verifying 100% of those outstanding bugs. Here are the changes for 2013:

• Recruiting new members. We have 6 new members joining! Welcome to Amit Doshi, Aniceto Perez, Tejas Kanani, Gaurav Jain, Jignesh Vachhani, and Prakash Khanchandani!
  • The team will now verify against the latest Milestone release (currently Milestone 4). This means no fooling with EE licenses, and you get a sneak peek of what's coming in Liferay!
  • Updated the Participation Guide to clearly spell out the goals and specific instructions for verifying bugs.
  • Right now, the number of bugs needing verification stands at 480. We will be celebrating our victory at various stages:
    • 25% (when 360 remain) - Participants will receive a community-designed tee-shirt and awesome community laptop stickers!
    • 50% (when 240 remain) - Participants will receive an official award depicting their accomplishment that can be proudly displayed at work and on their social profiles around the web, and recognition on the IRC Topic for the official #liferay chat room for 30 days.
    • 75% (when 120 remain) - Participants will receive free passes to an upcoming Liferay event of their choosing, or free training (subject to availability).
    • 100% (when none remain) - To be determined, but I can guarantee you it will be monumental. I'll need galactic presidential authorization before revealing what will happen.
  • Successfully verified tickets will be recorded in the annals of Liferay, using the Verified-By field in JIRA. We'll have a leaderboard set up to track this on the Community Verifier Homepage. You'll be able to see your verified issues actually make it into the next release, and see that your efforts benefited the entire open source community.

So, please take a few minutes to read over the participation guide, and see if you can help out! Having a cleared issue board is a HUGE step toward improving the quality and predictability of Liferay releases, which helps everyone interested in using Liferay. We need the community's help to clear this, because it takes time to look at and verify each issue. Liferay does not believe in mass-closing old bugs simply because they're old, they each need attention!

If you would like to join this team, let me know via email or this thread and I will add you to the JIRA group.
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1519 Fecha de incorporación: 7/08/06 Mensajes recientes
Sorry the current issue count is now down to 471. I cleared a few very old issues.
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1399 Fecha de incorporación: 17/09/10 Mensajes recientes
Mika Koivisto:
Sorry the current issue count is now down to 471. I cleared a few very old issues.

Nice! We're off to a good start then emoticon
thumbnail
Alan Lim, modificado hace 11 años.

New Member Mensaje: 1 Fecha de incorporación: 15/02/12 Mensajes recientes
Hi James,

Could you upgrade my JIRA access so I could update the JIRA ticket label? Thank you.

Regards,
Alan
thumbnail

Alan Lim:
Hi James,

Could you upgrade my JIRA access so I could update the JIRA ticket label? Thank you.

Regards,
Alan

Welcome to the team Alan. Nice to see more Aussies on the roster.
thumbnail
Szymon Gołębiewski, modificado hace 11 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 246 Fecha de incorporación: 8/06/09 Mensajes recientes
James Falkner:
Liferay does not believe in mass-closing old bugs simply because they're old, they each need attention!

Hallelujah! emoticon
thumbnail
Aniceto P Madrid, modificado hace 11 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 120 Fecha de incorporación: 24/05/08 Mensajes recientes
James

I cannot change the affected versions field

Thaks
thumbnail

Regular Member Mensajes: 120 Fecha de incorporación: 24/05/08 Mensajes recientes
James

I can see in github tags up to milestone 3. Where is m4? is te current trunk?

Thanks
thumbnail

Aniceto P Madrid:
James

I can see in github tags up to milestone 3. Where is m4? is te current trunk?

Thanks

It shall be added shortly. It's not currently part of the release process, but should be soon.
thumbnail

All, a couple of questions have come up:

Q: How do we know who’s working on what or whos done what if we aren’t assigning the tickets to ourselves?
A: When you select a ticket, the first thing you should do is add the community-verifier label (see the participation guide for details on how to do this). If the analysis will require more than a couple of hours, also add a comment that you are looking into it (again, see participation guide).

Q: I know there was mention of a leaderboard but I can’t find it or see how it would work if the tickets aren’t attached to us in any way.
A: Working on it today, should be available soon!

Q: Next issue I’ve run into. LPS-33075 talks about the knowledge base but the knowledge base does not appear to be available with Milestone 4.
A: Good point. Unfortunately since plugins are now de-coupled, we don't build each and every plugin for the Milestone builds. If you're willing and able, it's relatively easy to compile and deploy a plugin. I will add instructions to the wiki page to show a quick&dirty way to do this.

Q: Another question. Many of these tickets talk about large numbers of pages. I don’t really have time to create 50+ test web content articles for each test to enable pagination in search results.
A: Another excellent point, but unfortunately one for which I don't have a good answer. There is a way to create one article, then copy it using the "Actions -> Copy" functionality from Control Panel. Or, you could create and execute some code in the "Script Executor" in Control Panel which creates a bunch of content (blog, wiki, etc) by converting some of the example java code snippets I published earlier into Velocity, but this isn't trivial cut'n'paste. I'll do this for blog entries and add it to the wiki page.

In the meantime, or if you aren't comfortable doing these kinds of things, just ignore those and concentrate on the bugs that affect the core of Liferay, while we collectively gain experience in working with bugs in plugins and reproducing the harder-to-reproduce issues.
thumbnail

James Falkner:

Q: I know there was mention of a leaderboard but I can’t find it or see how it would work if the tickets aren’t attached to us in any way.
A: Working on it today, should be available soon!

BTW, one comment on the leaderboard. When you verify a bug and recommend a course of action via your actions, you don't get "credit" for it (and it won't show up on the leaderboard) until Liferay QA staff actually takes the recommended course of action (and adds your name to the "Verified-By" field). This helps reduce the chance someone just mass-marks bugs as "should be closed" without any oversight.
thumbnail

All,

I have added a leaderboard for this particular effort on the Community Verifier site. You can click on the avatars and names to be taken to the person's profile, or click on their numbers to see exactly which tickets they have verified. This only shows non-Liferay staff!

You can also see the total remaining at the bottom, and if you click on it, you are taken to the list of open issues to be verified. Good luck!

PS: If you see your name on the leaderboard, but you have a 'generic' avatar, be sure to update your profile on JIRA with your picture, if you wish it to show up on the leaderboard! Just log into issues.liferay.com and click on your name at the upper-right, then click the pencil icon next to your avatar and upload a custom pic.
thumbnail
Tejas Kanani, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 654 Fecha de incorporación: 6/01/09 Mensajes recientes
James,
I've visited Community Verifier site. Looks like I am missing in "The Team" dashboard. emoticon
I've appropriate rights in JIRA but not seeing myself here.

Thanks,
Tejas
thumbnail

Tejas Kanani:
James,
I've visited Community Verifier site. Looks like I am missing in "The Team" dashboard. emoticon
I've appropriate rights in JIRA but not seeing myself here.

Thanks,
Tejas

Fixed! emoticon I had a bad email address for you in there. I really need to update it to use screen names.
thumbnail

Thanks James. emoticon
thumbnail

Ok I added some instructions on how to build plugins to the wiki page for M4, and also, I present my quick and dirty script to generate tons of blog entries (so that you can force the search portlet to paginate):

import com.liferay.portal.kernel.workflow.WorkflowConstants
import com.liferay.portal.model.GroupConstants
import com.liferay.portal.service.GroupLocalServiceUtil
import com.liferay.portal.service.ServiceContext
import com.liferay.portlet.blogs.model.BlogsEntry
import com.liferay.portlet.blogs.service.BlogsEntryLocalServiceUtil;

long companyId = userInfo.get("liferay.company.id").toLong();
long userId = userInfo.get("liferay.user.id").toLong();

guestGroup = GroupLocalServiceUtil.getGroup(companyId, GroupConstants.GUEST);

context = new ServiceContext();
context.setWorkflowAction(WorkflowConstants.ACTION_PUBLISH);
context.setAddGroupPermissions(true);
context.setAddGuestPermissions(true);
context.setCompanyId(companyId);
context.setScopeGroupId(guestGroup.getGroupId());

for (int i = 0; i < 100; i++) {
	rCal = Calendar.getInstance();
	BlogsEntry newEntry = BlogsEntryLocalServiceUtil.addEntry(
		userId,
		"Blog " + i + " Title", "",
		"The awesome content of blog #" + i,
		rCal.get(Calendar.MONTH), rCal.get(Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH),
		rCal.get(Calendar.YEAR),
		rCal.get(Calendar.HOUR_OF_DAY), rCal.get(Calendar.MINUTE), false,
		false, null, false, null,
		null, null, context);
	println("Created blog " + newEntry.getTitle());
}
[Also posted as a Gist]

To use this, go to Control Panel -> Server Administration -> Script (tab), choose the Groovy language in the dropdown, then cut and paste the above code and click Execute. Then, for example, add the Search portlet to a page and search for "Blog". This could be modified, for example, to create web content articles instead of blogs. Be careful though! You might blow up your system if you code poorly in this scripting executor.
thumbnail
Amit Doshi, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Master Mensajes: 550 Fecha de incorporación: 29/12/10 Mensajes recientes
James,

I am not able to find myself in "liferay-community-verifier" Group.

Can you please add me on the same?

Thanks & Regards,
Amit Doshi
thumbnail

James

Somebody is fooling us because we started on Feb 21st and there are new issues after that date.

We´ll have to renegociate our work conditions: salary, vacations, health insurance, working hours, etc.

Regards
thumbnail

Aniceto P Madrid:
James

Somebody is fooling us because we started on Feb 21st and there are new issues after that date.

We´ll have to renegociate our work conditions: salary, vacations, health insurance, working hours, etc.

Regards

Yeah, I've been wondering what to do about that - it's not really fair to chase a moving target, but then again we never set an 'end date' for the contest at least.

How about, I'll change the dashboard to only consider those issues filed on or before Feb 21, and then the close of the contest (but not the CV program) is when 6.2 ships?

Also, vacations are hereby cancelled, and everyone will have to take a 20% cut in pay, but work 50% more hours per week. Seems fair to me.
thumbnail
Szymon Gołębiewski, modificado hace 11 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 246 Fecha de incorporación: 8/06/09 Mensajes recientes
James Falkner:
Also, vacations are hereby cancelled, and everyone will have to take a 20% cut in pay, but work 50% more hours per week. Seems fair to me.

I just flagged your post as "Infringes my Rights" ;)
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1519 Fecha de incorporación: 7/08/06 Mensajes recientes
That filter shows all the community created issues in order from latest to oldest. It's a list that I look regularly and I also wish others would look at it too. The idea is to provide more rapid feedback to issues our community opens so that won't get lost in the mass of tickets and that we can address them more quickly by bringing them into our work queue as verified issues. This should in the long run address the complaint that many have rightfully had about their tickets being ignored. This is going to become a continuous effort but first we need to get the number of old issues way down. I want to thank everyone who's participated. We've already made good progress and I believe it's possible to get all the way down to zero.
thumbnail

25% (when 360 remain) - Participants will receive a community-designed tee-shirt and awesome community laptop stickers!
50% (when 240 remain) - Participants will receive an official award depicting their accomplishment that can be proudly displayed at work and on their social profiles around the web, and recognition on the IRC Topic for the official #liferay chat room for 30 days.
75% (when 120 remain) - Participants will receive free passes to an upcoming Liferay event of their choosing, or free training (subject to availability).
100% (when none remain) - To be determined, but I can guarantee you it will be monumental. I'll need galactic presidential authorization before revealing what will happen.

CV Team,
We've crossed our first stage. Current CA Bug Pending Verification count is showing 358. Great going !!! emoticon
thumbnail
Gaurav Jain, modificado hace 11 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 145 Fecha de incorporación: 31/01/11 Mensajes recientes
Indeed Tejas. emoticon

Lets get set for Stage 2 emoticon
thumbnail

Gaurav Jain:
Indeed Tejas. emoticon

Lets get set for Stage 2 emoticon

Great work everyone! Tee shirts and stickers for Gaurav, Aniceto, Tejas, Scott, Chandrakala, Juan, Prakash, Alan, Rajaraman, and Miguel! Woo! We'll work on the design in a separate thread.
thumbnail

Liferay Master Mensajes: 550 Fecha de incorporación: 29/12/10 Mensajes recientes
James,

From Where we will get the Webform portlet, kaleo web plugins and Chats portlets( Other Social Activity portlets)?

Thanks & Regards,
Amit Doshi
thumbnail

Amit Doshi:
James,

From Where we will get the Webform portlet, kaleo web plugins and Chats portlets( Other Social Activity portlets)?

Thanks & Regards,
Amit Doshi

Amit, you will need to compile the plugins separately, depending on which ones you need. Since plugins are decoupled from the release now, they are built for Marketplace, to fix bugs and add features, but only for the current release. While those *may* work with trunk/master, it's not guaranteed, so the best bet is to compile them yourself. It's actually quite easy to do so, you don't have to know anything about git, just 'unzip' and 'ant'.
thumbnail

Congo.. We have Cleared 2nd Stage. Now Bug Pending Verification count is showing 234 only.
thumbnail
Luis Mas, modificado hace 11 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 146 Fecha de incorporación: 18/05/09 Mensajes recientes
Hi James, I'd like to participate. Hope it's not too late.

Regards, luis
thumbnail

Luis Mas:
Hi James, I'd like to participate. Hope it's not too late.

Regards, luis

Hey Luis, welcome to the team emoticon It is never too late!
thumbnail

Hi to all

We are now at 50%.

Sorry Luis, now remain the not so easy to check issues.

Regards
Aniceto
thumbnail

Aniceto P Madrid:
Hi to all

We are now at 50%.

Sorry Luis, now remain the not so easy to check issues.

Regards
Aniceto

I still see 250. emoticon
thumbnail

James

This link http://issues.liferay.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=16625 reports 235 issues.

And that number includes 10 issues dated after february 22nd.
thumbnail

Aniceto P Madrid:
James

This link http://issues.liferay.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=16625 reports 235 issues.

And that number includes 10 issues dated after february 22nd.

Ah, you are right - I'll update the leaderboard link/count at the bottom to track this filter. I had taken the de-referenced value of the filter (as opposed to a reference to the filter) at the time and plugged that into the leaderboard, and I think Mika (or someone else) added another clause of "AND "Business Value = null"" to the filter after that date presumably because any bug with a Business Value has been reviewed by Liferay.

Since you guys are doing such an awesome job I'd like to remind everyone to take a look at the tee shirt thread, as there's only one design so far (mine emoticon ) and I'm sure there are better ideas out there!
thumbnail

Yes, at least one has businessvalue: Liferay cannot run with lastest mysql, version 5.6, because it fails when creating indexes.
thumbnail

Yep, that was me. QA adds those numbers which means they've looked at the issue and reproduced it but for some reason left it open. That list should only contain unclassified issues that are not verified yet.
thumbnail

By the way, what happens with 6.1 GA3? Release was inmminent one month ago.
thumbnail

Aniceto P Madrid:
By the way, what happens with 6.1 GA3? Release was inmminent one month ago.

It's been held up in code review. I'll get an updated status later today and see how far we have to go.
thumbnail

Hi to all

We are now over 75% (120): 131 issues minus 12 issues after opening = 119 issues

Aniceto
thumbnail

Aniceto P Madrid:
Hi to all

We are now over 75% (120): 131 issues minus 12 issues after opening = 119 issues

Aniceto

Yeah!!! I'll get started on the certificates. Still no new tee shirt designs on the tee shirt thread. Surely someone's got one.
thumbnail

James

Sometimes, issues reported seem to be important but if they are badly reported and not watched by the reporter, that issue is suggested to be closed after 10 days of inactivity. I think Liferay is losing important feedback from their users, and that is bad. I suggest that reported should be automatically added to the watch list and that he or she cannot unwatch. I don't remember if there is a policy agreement when somebody signs in JIRA, but it should be added this watching feature.

And now I suggest to run an script to add all reporters to the watch list of his/her issues. At least Liferay transmits a message to JIRA users: your issue is being attended, late, but not completely ignored.

Aniceto
thumbnail

Aniceto P Madrid:
James

Sometimes, issues reported seem to be important but if they are badly reported and not watched by the reporter, that issue is suggested to be closed after 10 days of inactivity. I think Liferay is losing important feedback from their users, and that is bad. I suggest that reported should be automatically added to the watch list and that he or she cannot unwatch. I don't remember if there is a policy agreement when somebody signs in JIRA, but it should be added this watching feature.

And now I suggest to run an script to add all reporters to the watch list of his/her issues. At least Liferay transmits a message to JIRA users: your issue is being attended, late, but not completely ignored.

Aniceto

When a person files an issue, they are known as the 'Reporter' and are automatically 'watching' the issue and will receive notification when the issue is commented on or updated in any way, and they cannot un-do this (of course, they could ignore emails or, for example, change jobs and their old email isn't properly forwarded).

So, for a bug report which no one can understand or act on due to missing or confusing info, if the reporter isn't around to clarify things, should the issue remain open? I don't see how it would ever be able to be closed, since it can't be fixed, and the reporter is no longer responding.
thumbnail

James

I thought that reporter only received by email notifications when she or he adds oneself to the watch list. If after every change the reporter is always notified even if he has not added oneself to the watch list, then everything is fine.

I suggested this because I've found many issues with no watchers and after a comment asking for clarification I don't receive any response. So, according to instructions, after 10 days of no response I ask for closing the issue due to reporter inactivity.

Aniceto
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado hace 10 años.

Reporter will always get notifications without adding themselves as watcher. Also if the issue is assigned to you you'll get notifications but only as long as it's assigned to you. In all other cases you need to be a watcher on the issue to get notifications.
thumbnail
Aniceto P Madrid, modificado hace 10 años.

The link to the issues query http://issues.liferay.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=16625 no longer works. It seems businessValue is never now null. So no issues are listed. Please, update the query or the link in the Community Verifier page.

Thanks
thumbnail
James Falkner, modificado hace 10 años.

Re: [Liferay Forums][Community Verifier Team] RE: Liferay 6.2 Milestone 4:

Will do... Some changes to the business value field occurred on Friday. Thanks for the heads-up!

-jhf-

On Apr 6, 2013, at 5:48 AM, "Aniceto P Madrid from liferay.com" <forums@liferay.com> wrote:

> The link to the issues query http://issues.liferay.com/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=16625 no longer works. It seems businessValue is never now null. So no issues are listed. Please, update the query or the link in the Community Verifier page.
>
> Thanks
>
>
> To view the thread, follow the link below:
> http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/view_message/23393352
> --
> Thanks, Liferay.com Forums
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado hace 10 años.

I fixed the issue.
thumbnail
Aniceto P Madrid, modificado hace 10 años.

As of release of 6.2.0m5, Should remaining issues be checked against m5 or is this round closed?

By the way, release of 6.1 GA3 is taking a lot more than expected.
thumbnail
James Falkner, modificado hace 10 años.

Aniceto P Madrid:
As of release of 6.2.0m5, Should remaining issues be checked against m5 or is this round closed?

By the way, release of 6.1 GA3 is taking a lot more than expected.

Excellent question, Aniceto... yes, the remaining should be checked against m5 - because some of them may have been fixed.

Yes, GA3 is taking longer than expected - I'm sorry it's taking so long, we played a little game of backporting fixes from trunk to 6.1, then backporting some more, then some more, .... I *really* hope we can have it completed and shipped in the June/July timeframe, but I am no longer giving any estimates emoticon

BTW, we took the PACL requirement off of Marketplace (partly because GA3 is taking longer than expected). So for those apps that otherwise worked, they can now happily live in Marketplace.

Also, for those looking forward to your CV rewards emoticon Rest assured I have not and will not forget about the certificates, tee shirts, and training/symposium offer. I will follow up in a separate thread with the details. Aniceto gets the gold star for contribution here, but all of you contributed in some way! Thanks everyone!