Foros de discusión

Tagging assets should be easier

thumbnail
James Denmark, modificado hace 11 años.

Tagging assets should be easier

Junior Member Mensajes: 27 Fecha de incorporación: 20/11/08 Mensajes recientes
Tagging a document during upload or web content while creating is quite easy but often community administrators want to go through and add more tags, change tags and perform other housekeeping of asset tags.

Currently this requires the asset to go through the edit action which has a number of shortcomings:
1. Time consuming
2. Increments version history of the asset
3. Triggers notifications on things like message board posts, rss feeds etc.

Tagging would be more functional if administrators and asset owners could add/remove tags dynamically without executing the edit action. i.e. right on the actions menu for an asset, include a categorize and/or tag action that will apply the tags but won't 'republish' the asset.

Additionally, in things like the documents and media portlet, this action should be available at the container (folder/store) level to permit the administrator to tag multiple items with in one pass.
thumbnail
Hamish Campbell, modificado hace 11 años.

RE: Tagging assets should be easier

Junior Member Mensajes: 87 Fecha de incorporación: 20/08/08 Mensajes recientes
yep, like the idea.
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
+1 Categories too.

2. Increments version history of the asset
3. Triggers notifications on things like message board posts, rss feeds etc.

Prefer these to be only triggered when content is added/modified and not when attributes are added/modified.
Prefer to have properties to select when to trigger.
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2871 Fecha de incorporación: 31/08/06 Mensajes recientes
I like the idea too. Although I'm not 100% sure about not incrementing the version number. In that case it would not be possible to keep track of changes in the tags or categorization.
thumbnail
Juan Fernández, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1261 Fecha de incorporación: 2/10/08 Mensajes recientes
+1!

Jorge Ferrer:
... I'm not 100% sure about not incrementing the version number. In that case it would not be possible to keep track of changes in the tags or categorization.

I think versioning makes sense when you modify the actual content, not the information around. You don't want to track versioning in things like display data, notification configuration, related assets, display pages (in web content)... or tags and categories. These are external "attributes" as Hitoshi said, and shouldn't always lead to reestarting a workflow process or incrementing the version.

Just my opinion emoticon
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2871 Fecha de incorporación: 31/08/06 Mensajes recientes
Since you mentioned workflow, that makes things even more complicated. Do people want to review the tags, categories, etc. when an approval workflow is enabled?

I would say that in some (most?) cases they do. If so, then changing any of those need to be a new version that has to go through the approval process.

Also, even without workflow, in the context of several admins, it is sometimes important to be able to undo any change and if the versioning is not used when updating metadata then it is not possible to undo that change.

Do you guys think these considerations should not be taken into account?
thumbnail
James Denmark, modificado hace 11 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 27 Fecha de incorporación: 20/11/08 Mensajes recientes
I can see both cases continuing to be required so I guess it really comes down to the fact that editing metadata and editing content are both captured under a single edit action and these should probably be split into two actions.

e.g. I want admins to create/edit content but I'm happy for site members to tag it - to do this now they I would have to give the site member edit permissions.

If the content and metadata edit actions were separated (just like the models are) I could enable metadata editing without content editing. In addition, the kaleo workflows/versioning could be turned on/off for each action independently to suit either case.
thumbnail
Gaurav Jain, modificado hace 11 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 145 Fecha de incorporación: 31/01/11 Mensajes recientes
James Denmark:
Additionally, in things like the documents and media portlet, this action should be available at the container (folder/store) level to permit the administrator to tag multiple items with in one pass..

Liked this.

I even prefer some more actions, like export on folder levels (or ability to select which folder data to export).
But, yes that is out of current topic emoticon

So, +1 from me