Foros de discusión

RE: Babelfish translation

thumbnail
Olaf Kock, modificado hace 11 años.

Babelfish translation

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 6396 Fecha de incorporación: 23/09/08 Mensajes recientes
Today I filed LPS-26741 Deactivate Babelfish for german translation - and limited it to the german translation because I don't know about the babelfish quality of other languages.

After a discussion with Julio, we're thinking about it more general, for other languages as well. Therefor I'd like to start a poll in this forum - please state if the automatic translation is valuable for your work or not. For the german translation I feel that it's typically providing the wrong solution and I prefer to start with the original english text. If someone disagrees, please let me know.
thumbnail
Jorge Cabrita de Sousa, modificado hace 11 años.

New Member Mensajes: 8 Fecha de incorporación: 10/03/11 Mensajes recientes
In terms of the Portuguese (european) translation, I would say that in most cases I would tend to ignore whatever solution Babelfish provides.
I think that counts as an answer to my opinion on the matter ;)
thumbnail
Dimitri Tischenko, modificado hace 11 años.

New Member Mensajes: 22 Fecha de incorporación: 10/11/11 Mensajes recientes
Hi Olaf,

I completely second your standpoint for the Dutch translation. In most cases, the English original is much more understandable.
thumbnail
Corné Aussems, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1313 Fecha de incorporación: 3/10/06 Mensajes recientes
I prefer English over Babelfish dutch.
Do i need to open up a ticket as well?
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 6396 Fecha de incorporación: 23/09/08 Mensajes recientes
Corné Aussems:
Do i need to open up a ticket as well?

Let's collect opinions here and I'll extend the existing tickets to other languages

Thanks for the feedback so far. Unless someone protests, I take the "not useful" votes mentioned here as a vote for "disable babelfish for my language" and will update the ticket according to the feedback assembled within this week
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
The Japanese automatic translation is as bad as well. Some of the translations' grammerical syntax is just rude and unfit for business - some are in a tone of demanding something from an inferior and some resemble a verse from the Bible (I get chuckle out of these but it probably doesn't make to much sense to those who haven't read the book).

I know that Liferay wanted to increase the number of supported languages but with many translation leaders now, I'm wondering if this is still necessary.
thumbnail
Sampsa Sohlman, modificado hace 11 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 230 Fecha de incorporación: 27/09/07 Mensajes recientes
I agree. I would take that of also from Finnish.

Translation is time consuming and hard work if you do it right especially if you are not professional.

We would need more handy translation system than pootle, that could use babelfish and google as help, but those at least should be verified before putting to product.

- Sampsa
thumbnail
jelmer kuperus, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1191 Fecha de incorporación: 10/03/10 Mensajes recientes
+1 the babelfish translations are horrible
thumbnail

FYI: I've started working on LPS-27433 to deactivate babelfish for dutch, portuguese, japanese. Seems like FInnish is already not automatically translated.
If there's some more requests for deactivating babelfish translation for more languages, please comment on the ticket while it's still assigned to me (few days) and open.
thumbnail
Jorge Cabrita de Sousa, modificado hace 11 años.

New Member Mensajes: 8 Fecha de incorporación: 10/03/11 Mensajes recientes
Hey,

Thanks Olaf.
Cheers,
_JS
thumbnail
Corné Aussems, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1313 Fecha de incorporación: 3/10/06 Mensajes recientes
Can you also do something about Pootle suggestions? they are a nuisance too.
thumbnail

Corné Aussems:
Can you also do something about Pootle suggestions? they are a nuisance too.

I always believed that these are - by lack of original pootle integration - the direct outcome of Babelfish suggestions in the original language build process. My assumption is that all "(Automatic Translation)" or "(Automatic Copy)" entries originate as pootle suggestions.

Daniel? Julio?
thumbnail
Julio Camarero, modificado hace 11 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1668 Fecha de incorporación: 15/07/08 Mensajes recientes
Yep, Olaf is right. "(Automatic Translation)" or "(Automatic Copy)" entries originate are imported as pootle suggestions.
thumbnail

FYI - the issue has resolved itself: Automatic translation does not work any more: Yahoo now redirects to microsofttranslator.com, which is not handled by our automatic translation.

In fact, now we could remove all of our translation code (but the marking of "Automatic Copy") - or change it to use different resources.

See LPS-27433