Foros de discusión

Eclipse Indigo with M2E and Dynamic Web Projects

Adam Hardy, modificado hace 11 años.

Eclipse Indigo with M2E and Dynamic Web Projects

New Member Mensajes: 19 Fecha de incorporación: 18/05/12 Mensajes recientes
Hi,

I just typed a really well-crafted message here to post about this problem but lost it before I could submit it! So please forgive my frustration if this new version of my message is not so detailed! emoticon

I recently started a new role at an organisation where we use Liferay Portal as the front-end for multiple clients using the same back-end application, each with their own CSS styles, page selections, languages, user admin and selection of portlets for the back-end. So we have multiple theme projects, several extra plug-ins that I'm beginning to work out, and our main back-end app with all the portlets.

Our dev environment is essentially a bit of a mish-mash of ant, maven, Eclipse and command-line tools and getting it all up and running and ready to code is a challenge. I've seen the blog posts by @Mika Koivisto so I'm hoping I can build on that to get something much more efficient worked out.

I'd love to hear from anyone who is working with a similar combination of software - Eclipse, Dynamic Web Projects, Maven M2E, Perforce, Tomcat etc.

To begin with, I've got a couple of concrete questions:

(1) is there any reason why I shouldn't be able to do this with Liferay 6.0.6?

(2) My initial goal is to get to the point where I can hot-deploy JSP and CSS files just by saving them - without having to redeploy the theme project every time. Is this something that Liferay IDE does already?

(3) My ultimate goal is to be able to hot-deploy Java classes in our portlets. Our portlets project is already mavenised for dependency management, placeholder substitution, security, web services, Spring and Hibernate config management etc etc. Is this possible or am I being too optimistic here? I know it took a heck of a long time for the M2E plugin to reach maturity - but maybe there's no reason why Liferay IDE and M2E can't work together with tomcat in Eclipse now. What's the current state-of-play here now?

Thanks for any input on this and looking forward to the conversation,

regards
Adam
thumbnail
Gregory Amerson, modificado hace 11 años.

RE: Eclipse Indigo with M2E and Dynamic Web Projects

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1123 Fecha de incorporación: 16/02/10 Mensajes recientes
Hey Adam,

Thanks for taking time to re-post your message a second time. The short answer to your question is "not yet". I have on my roadmap of new features for Lifeary IDE is support for maven. There are several pieces to this puzzle: plugins SDK creating maven style projects, support for maven layout in liferay IDE code, adding m2e-extension if necessary, then handing server adapters or publishing.

So all of the things you want, (save a resource and have it hot-deployed without needed a redeploy/restart) are supported for standard Liferay projects through Liferay IDE. However, getitng them to work with maven layout is still to be worked out either via custom code or via the m2e-wtp plugin which should recognize WTP style projects (of which Liferay IDE projects are).

Add yourself to this ticket if you want to watch the progress of that support:
http://issues.liferay.com/browse/IDE-110

Hi Greg,

thanks for the run-down. I will follow that ticket. Let's hope it progresses smoothly.

With the current situation here, the amount of work involved in just minor changes is really over the top. I would love to exploit what I can of the Liferay IDE but I haven't had a chance yet (only just got a chance to reply here....)

I checked our Liferay extensions plug-ins project, and I think all the themes are set up with the regular liferay file & directory structure - at least, it doesn't look anything like a maven project - if it is the standard liferay layout, should I be setting up then to do hot-deploys of CSS and velocity templates and so on, using Liferay IDE?

Thanks
Adam

Gregory Amerson:
Hey Adam,

Thanks for taking time to re-post your message a second time. The short answer to your question is "not yet". I have on my roadmap of new features for Lifeary IDE is support for maven. There are several pieces to this puzzle: plugins SDK creating maven style projects, support for maven layout in liferay IDE code, adding m2e-extension if necessary, then handing server adapters or publishing.

So all of the things you want, (save a resource and have it hot-deployed without needed a redeploy/restart) are supported for standard Liferay projects through Liferay IDE. However, getitng them to work with maven layout is still to be worked out either via custom code or via the m2e-wtp plugin which should recognize WTP style projects (of which Liferay IDE projects are).

Just bumping this up again, because I'm still looking to improve things here.

As I replied earlier, I checked our Liferay extensions plug-ins project, and I think all the themes are set up with the regular liferay file & directory structure - at least, it doesn't look anything like a maven project - if it is the standard liferay layout, can I set it up to do hot-deploys of CSS and velocity templates and so on, using Liferay IDE?
thumbnail

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1123 Fecha de incorporación: 16/02/10 Mensajes recientes
Adam Hardy:
Gregory Amerson:
Hey Adam,

Just bumping this up again, because I'm still looking to improve things here.

As I replied earlier, I checked our Liferay extensions plug-ins project, and I think all the themes are set up with the regular liferay file & directory structure - at least, it doesn't look anything like a maven project - if it is the standard liferay layout, can I set it up to do hot-deploys of CSS and velocity templates and so on, using Liferay IDE?

Yes you can check those projects out, use the Import wizard for importing existing Liferay SDK projects. Then you can configure a Liferay Server (Tomcat 7) and deploy the theme to that server using the add/remove modules... option on the server. Then once you start the server the theme will be deployed and any changes you make to the _diffs folder will be copied out to the deploy location automatically with no intervention, so you can just refresh the browser to see the theme changes.

Be sure and grab the latest version of the IDE (1.5.3) here:
http://releases.liferay.com/tools/ide/eclipse/indigo/stable/

Let me know if you have any trouble with this process.

Gregory Amerson:
Yes you can check those projects out, use the Import wizard for importing existing Liferay SDK projects. Then you can configure a Liferay Server (Tomcat 7) and deploy the theme to that server using the add/remove modules... option on the server. Then once you start the server the theme will be deployed and any changes you make to the _diffs folder will be copied out to the deploy location automatically with no intervention, so you can just refresh the browser to see the theme changes.

Be sure and grab the latest version of the IDE (1.5.3) here:
http://releases.liferay.com/tools/ide/eclipse/indigo/stable/

Let me know if you have any trouble with this process.

Great! I'm really keen to get this stuff rolling and chucking out the worst parts of our dev build cycle!

I'm setting up a new liferay server installation seperate from my current dev environment so that I can carry on as before while I'm getting the new environment up and running.

My first issue though is to work out what I should install by hand onto the initial installation of liferay. I have multiple themes as I said, but also hook projects like 'login-hook' and 'device-rules-hook'. Plus there's an ext plug-in. Plus there's the portlet project itself.

In terms of building my new environment with the Liferay IDE, can I also set it up for the hook projects and the ext plug-in as well?

The only time that I have worked with the ext plug-in so far, the manual deployment of the plug-in was just a disaster and repeatedly failed until I had re-located portal-ext.properties into the liferay container directory. That's a whole different story but I'm bringing it up here as an indication of why I'm reluctant to dive in and experiment without some experienced guidance. I don't want to waste anyone's time, not least my own or yours or my colleagues.

So to get my dev environment to a functional state, I could install all projects as I have done before, and just use Liferay IDE for the themes at this point - or can I implement my hooks and ext plug-in projects with Liferay IDE too?

Thanks for your help so far.
thumbnail

Adam Hardy:

So to get my dev environment to a functional state, I could install all projects as I have done before, and just use Liferay IDE for the themes at this point - or can I implement my hooks and ext plug-in projects with Liferay IDE too?

Thanks for your help so far.

Yes, just installing plugins as per normal deployment (dropping wars into deploy folder) and then just create the theme project from source in IDE project and deploy and develop it.

Also if you wanted to deploy all of your projects you could import all of them into IDE and deploy from there, but i believe the first option would be better, only import the projects that you are actively working on from source and just deploy the rest via binary.

Gregory Amerson:
Yes, just installing plugins as per normal deployment (dropping wars into deploy folder) and then just create the theme project from source in IDE project and deploy and develop it.

Also if you wanted to deploy all of your projects you could import all of them into IDE and deploy from there, but i believe the first option would be better, only import the projects that you are actively working on from source and just deploy the rest via binary.

OK I'll do that. That sounds like a good way to progress.

One thing that I'm totallly not sure about that I've picked up from previous developers on this project is the need to clean out the Liferay directories to undeploy a project when re-deploying. I'm not just talking about deleting the project deployment from under liferay/tomcat/webapp, but also getting rid of all the stuff in tomcat/work and tomcat/temp. Is this good practice or is it not strictly necessary as some make out? Especially when I want to do a deploy for the first time with Liferay IDE, should I clean out the previous deployment like this?

I guess there's no 'undeploy' command, right?

Thanks.
thumbnail

RE: Eclipse Indigo with M2E and Dynamic Web Projects (Respuesta)

Adam Hardy:
Gregory Amerson:

OK I'll do that. That sounds like a good way to progress.

One thing that I'm totallly not sure about that I've picked up from previous developers on this project is the need to clean out the Liferay directories to undeploy a project when re-deploying. I'm not just talking about deleting the project deployment from under liferay/tomcat/webapp, but also getting rid of all the stuff in tomcat/work and tomcat/temp. Is this good practice or is it not strictly necessary as some make out? Especially when I want to do a deploy for the first time with Liferay IDE, should I clean out the previous deployment like this?

I guess there's no 'undeploy' command, right?

Thanks.

Yes it is a good idea to clean out previous webapps/** and and conf/Catalina/localhost/**.xml (leave the ROOT.xml since that is for liferay). That is all you really need to clean out the others in work/** and temp/** can be left alone.

Oh yes there is no "undeploy". The closest thing we have is for EXT plugins there is an "ant clean-app-server" that will completely restore tomcat to its previous state before any deployment occurred.

I have set up Eclipse so that I can now deploy my themes and hook projects using Liferay IDE. This is fantastic, a major step up.

Now I am trying to include my ext project in eclipse.

However I am being frustrated by an apparently simple error - but I can't find a solution in google or figure out myself what the problem is.

I actually have 2 ext projects. The first is superceded by the second. I can import the first project, but I actually need the 2nd. However when I try to import the 2nd, the wizard gives me the error "Invalid project location".

I attempted to resolve this myself but I can't discover what it is that the wizard is looking for that makes the project location valid.

I can just create a new project and copy all the files in afterwards, but I'm worried that LIferay IDE would miss some important config setup if I did it that way.

What is the issue here? I can't even work out whether there is a file that it is looking for. It seems not.

Thanks

Well I just checked the source code for the Liferay IDE and discovered that you are checking whether the project directory name ends with -ext

that explains why fis-ext is valid but fis-ext-mobile is not.

I don't think anyone here at this organisation was aware that you have a policy on directory naming for plugins.

Anyway, I guess I will have to work around this, because I can't easily change the name of the project, since it's under source code control and probably a lot of trouble to do.

What would be the best approach?

What I've just done is import the old project, then renamed the eclipse project name and copied all the eclipse config files .project, .classpath and .settings across into the fis-ext-mobile so that I can import and existing project.

However now I have no reference to struts, or to the Liferay stuff like com.liferay.portal.struts.ActionConstants - what's the Liferay IDE way to deal with that?

Thanks

PS fortunately got some time to devote to this! My main challenges at the moment are:
  • work out where to put the jars my ext plug-in requires (as above, especially liferay-portal-impl and struts-1.2.9)
  • set up dependencies on other Eclipse projects
  • discover whether I can get Liferay IDE to add listeners to the web.xml
  • .... i'm sure that's not all emoticon

PPS: I also have a plugin project in the LiferayExt/webs directory - I'm not sure what the situation is there. Is it not a plug-in type that Liferay IDE handles?

The latest situation I have is this:

I can install my ext project on its own and run the liferay server without any errors in the log.

However I then have to install my hook projects which depend on the ext project. I also have a project in the liferay-plugins/webs directory which I have setup as a plain dynamic web project. When I try to deploy these, liferay IDE complains bitterly. It says:

Can't pre-publish ext module

and gives this stacktrace:

org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: The archive: /liferay-plugins-sdk-6.0.6/lib/activation.jar which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist.
at com.liferay.ide.eclipse.server.tomcat.core.TomcatExtPluginPublisher.assertStatus(TomcatExtPluginPublisher.java:138)
at com.liferay.ide.eclipse.server.tomcat.core.TomcatExtPluginPublisher.addExtModule(TomcatExtPluginPublisher.java:123)
at com.liferay.ide.eclipse.server.tomcat.core.TomcatExtPluginPublisher.prePublishModule(TomcatExtPluginPublisher.java:84)
at com.liferay.ide.eclipse.server.util.LiferayPublishHelper.prePublishModule(LiferayPublishHelper.java:63)
at com.liferay.ide.eclipse.server.tomcat.core.LiferayTomcatServerBehavior.publishModule(LiferayTomcatServerBehavior.java:65)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publishModule(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:1046)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publishModules(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:1138)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publish(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:955)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.model.ServerBehaviourDelegate.publish(ServerBehaviourDelegate.java:774)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server.publishImpl(Server.java:3087)
at org.eclipse.wst.server.core.internal.Server$PublishJob.run(Server.java:345)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:54)
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: The archive: /liferay-plugins-sdk-6.0.6/lib/activation.jar which is referenced by the classpath, does not exist.
at org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JavaRuntime.abort(JavaRuntime.java:1376)
at org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JavaRuntime.abort(JavaRuntime.java:1361)
at org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JavaRuntime.resolveRuntimeClasspathEntry(JavaRuntime.java:935)
at org.eclipse.jdt.launching.StandardClasspathProvider.resolveClasspath(StandardClasspathProvider.java:75)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.launching.RuntimeClasspathProvider.resolveClasspath(RuntimeClasspathProvider.java:60)
at org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JavaRuntime.resolveRuntimeClasspath(JavaRuntime.java:1229)
at org.eclipse.ant.internal.launching.AntLaunchingUtil.getCustomClasspath(AntLaunchingUtil.java:250)
at org.eclipse.ant.internal.launching.launchConfigurations.AntLaunchDelegate.launch(AntLaunchDelegate.java:214)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:854)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:703)
at org.eclipse.debug.internal.core.LaunchConfiguration.launch(LaunchConfiguration.java:696)
at com.liferay.ide.eclipse.ui.util.LaunchHelper.launch(LaunchHelper.java:177)
at com.liferay.ide.eclipse.sdk.util.SDKHelper.runTarget(SDKHelper.java:187)
at com.liferay.ide.eclipse.sdk.SDK.directDeploy(SDK.java:427)
at com.liferay.ide.eclipse.server.tomcat.core.TomcatExtPluginPublisher.addExtModule(TomcatExtPluginPublisher.java:121)
... 10 more

It seems that something is wrong - activation.jar mentioned in the stacktrace is there and the ext project is referencing it in the Liferay v6.0 CE library in my classpath.

Eclipse won't run clean_appserver either - same error. I refreshed the projects, I clean and rebuilt them, I ditched all the other projects except the ext project, and I then tried stopping and restarting eclipse. The error still comes. It has obviously been written into the config somewhere.

Any help on offer?
thumbnail

Hey Andy,

Do you have the plugins SDK in your workspace? Can you try closing that project (The SDK one) and then try again?

Gregory Amerson:
Hey Andy,

Do you have the plugins SDK in your workspace? Can you try closing that project (The SDK one) and then try again?

OK that was easy - but I ran straight into the next error.

If I install the ext project without my hook projects, and run Liferay, it loads without any errors, just some warnings about missing config that it gets from the dependent projects.

If I deploy the hook projects, I get stacktraces on the console like this:

Caused by: java.lang.Error: Unresolved compilation problems: 
	The import com.commsen.liferay.multidevice.Device cannot be resolved
	The import com.commsen.liferay.multidevice.rules.actions cannot be resolved
	DeviceRulesProvider cannot be resolved to a type
	DeviceAction cannot be resolved to a type
	Device cannot be resolved to a type
	NoAction cannot be resolved to a type
	The method createAction(Rule) from the type RulesUtils refers to the missing type DeviceAction
	RuleInfo cannot be resolved to a type
	The method emptyList() from the type Collections refers to the missing type RuleInfo
	The method convertToRuleInfo(Rule) from the type RulesUtils refers to the missing type RuleInfo
	ChangeThemeAction cannot be resolved to a variable
	ChangeThemeAction cannot be resolved
	ChangeThemeAction cannot be resolved to a variable
	RedirectAction cannot be resolved
	RedirectAction cannot be resolved to a variable

at com.commsen.liferay.multidevice.rules.DeviceRulesProviderImpl.<init>(DeviceRulesProviderImpl.java:29)
	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.java:27)
	at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:501)
	at org.springframework.beans.BeanUtils.instantiateClass(BeanUtils.java:126)
	... 45 more
</init>

I've tried this with and without the ext project deployed. This actually occurs even with the ext project deployed which is difficult to comprehend but maybe it makes it obvious what's going on to you.

Then if I install the hook project a second time, it doesn't deploy. It says the ext project isn't loaded so it will sit in the queue.

15:10:16,240 INFO  [HotDeployEvent:95] Plugin device-rules-hook requires fis-ext-mobile
15:10:16,240 INFO  [HotDeployUtil:137] Queueing device-rules-hook for deploy because it is missing fis-ext-mobile

I'm going to investigate, but obviously I'd appreciate a bit more guidance. Thanks.

[EDIT] I'm updating this message - I have stopped and restarted Liferay and now on the third start, the hook project can't find log4j, which I can see in the Eclipse jar library for Liferay Hook Plugin API. This is now a repeatable error on every start-up. Here's the exact error:

org.springframework.beans.factory.BeanCreationException: Error creating bean with name 'com.commsen.liferay.multidevice.rules.DeviceRulesProviderImpl' defined in ServletContext resource [/WEB-INF/classes/META-INF/device-rules-spring.xml]:
 Instantiation of bean failed; nested exception is java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Logger
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.instantiateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:965)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBeanInstance(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:911)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.doCreateBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:485)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.createBean(AbstractAutowireCapableBeanFactory.java:456)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory$1.getObject(AbstractBeanFactory.java:291)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.getSingleton(DefaultSingletonBeanRegistry.java:222)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.doGetBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:288)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.AbstractBeanFactory.getBean(AbstractBeanFactory.java:190)
	at org.springframework.beans.factory.support.DefaultListableBeanFactory.preInstantiateSingletons(DefaultListableBeanFactory.java:580)
	at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishBeanFactoryInitialization(AbstractApplicationContext.java:895)
	at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:425)
	at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.createWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:276)
	at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:197)
	at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:47)
	at com.liferay.portal.spring.context.PortletContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(PortletContextLoaderListener.java:71)

Also, if you get a chance, can you give me a clue what to do with the plug-in project in the Liferay-plugins-ext/webs directory? As I said above, I've set it up so far as a dynamic web project because I can't get Liferay IDE to recognise it as a Liferay plugin.

PS Just another quick edit: the missing class that the hook project depends on is put into one of the smaller ext project's deployables - called "ext-fis-ext-mobile-service.jar" which is the project names prefixed by "ext-" and suffixed with "-service".

Anybody?

OK, I think I'm going to start a new thread because this has veered right away from M2E and dynamic web projects.