Foros de discusión

6.1 - Availability to add membership to site by Org Role

thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 12 años.

6.1 - Availability to add membership to site by Org Role

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
I know this is bit early, but I was checking up on the new features of upcoming Liferay 6.1.

I was wondering if it is possible to add membership to a site by organization role.

Example:
There are three organizations:
Org1, Org2, Org3.

There are three sites:
Site1, Site2, Site3

Each organization has Admin, Manager, Regular User

Site1 is maintained by Org1.
Site2 is maintained by Org2.
Site3 is maintained by Org3.

Admin of each organization is able to see all three sites.
Manager of each organization is able to view sites they have been given permission.
Users of each organization is only able to view sites that is maintained by organization they belong to.

The current 6.1 only allows adding user, organization, and user group to a site. Thus, to achieve the above requirement,
I would have to define "Admin", "Manager", and "Regular User" as organizations with Org1, Org2, and Org3.
It would be better if I can define "Admin", "Manager", and "Regular User" as organizational roles within each organization
and add organization roles to site membership.
thumbnail
Jorge Ferrer, modificado hace 12 años.

RE: 6.1 - Availability to add membership to site by Org Role

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 2871 Fecha de incorporación: 31/08/06 Mensajes recientes
Hi Hithoshi,

That's an interesting use case. As you say it's not possible to do that directly right now, but it's definitely an option to consider for the next version. One of the ideas that we are discussing about is to allow the ability to have subsites. In your case, that could help by making two subsites with more strict membership policies that only include people with an specific role within the org.

In any case, be sure to remind this later on so that the idea is not forgotten (BTW, James will be working soon on an Idea Management application for liferay.com to ease with this task).
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 7942 Fecha de incorporación: 24/03/10 Mensajes recientes
It's a little different from subsites because users won't want to see sites on the drop-down list of available sites.
I think it'll also be more consistenet with the rule that permissions are done by roles. The current permission to a site
still seems to based on community and organization.
Tami Kruger, modificado hace 11 años.

New Member Mensajes: 6 Fecha de incorporación: 4/01/11 Mensajes recientes
Was there ever any decision regarding subsites? We have upgraded to 6.1 and could really use this functionality.

Thank you