Foros de discusión

site templates

thumbnail
Raymond Gardner, modificado hace 12 años.

site templates

Regular Member Mensajes: 118 Fecha de incorporación: 15/07/11 Mensajes recientes
Hello all,

I created a Site Template with one page on it. I assigned it to an Organization's private pages.

I logged in with a user of this organization and it works. Awesome!

Then, I modified the Site Template and added a 2nd page. Unfortunately, this 2nd page does not show up
when my user logs into the website. So, ...

How do I get this 2nd page to show up in places where the Site Template is already being used?
I try to go back to the Organization and unassign and then reassign the Site Template but that option is not available.
I cannot even cancel the Site Template from being used by the Organization.

Shouldn't these kinds of configurations be modifiable? This seems to be the way Liferay is architected in general.
Once a control panel configuration is made then a snapshot is taken and you only get the settings at that point in time.
There's little room to modify your configurations.

Any comments or advise?
Thanks!
thumbnail
Paul Robinson, modificado hace 12 años.

RE: site templates

Junior Member Mensajes: 46 Fecha de incorporación: 30/12/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi,

My understanding is that when you use a site template to create your pages for a org or a community it's a point in time creation and this is by design. The organisations site is not linked back to the template in any way and as such changes to the template are not reflected in any sites created from them.

I have used the export / import pages function in the past to quickly add new pages to existing sites. Of course page templates make it easy to create new pages in sites.

R,
Paul
thumbnail
Pranay R Patadiya, modificado hace 12 años.

Regular Member Mensajes: 177 Fecha de incorporación: 23/02/10 Mensajes recientes
Hi,
I agree with Paul.
In Addition, when we create any org or community from site template so in that case we are copying the pages (private or public) from site template to our org /com.

So, newly created org or com is not associated any more with site template and once org or com created it just owned the pages from site template thats it.

Let me know if you still uncleared.

Thanks,
Pranay
thumbnail
Paul Robinson, modificado hace 12 años.

Junior Member Mensajes: 46 Fecha de incorporación: 30/12/08 Mensajes recientes
Hi,
One thing I often now do is set the sites up so that the owners are not able to make changes to layout, add portlets etc.

I can then easily upgrade a site by

1) Updating the template
2) Export the template (get a .lar file)
3) Import the template into the community with the "Delete Missing Pages" checked

This will recreate your site based on the new template. No data is lost, well to the best of my knowledge anyway.

I use the Control Panel to do this, but I am sure with some development effort having a routine to go through and update all your sites would not be to hard to created.

Cheers,
Paul