Foros de discusión

Velocity or Freemarker, in Liferay?

Leo Gong, modificado hace 12 años.

Velocity or Freemarker, in Liferay?

New Member Mensajes: 9 Fecha de incorporación: 3/06/11 Mensajes recientes
Hi everyone,I'm struggling to have a choice between Velocity and Freemarker.
Our company plans to create a large website using liferay ,maybe being in a clustered environment in the future.
We hope to own a powerful and flexible theme system through our modification and development .
So , which template engine will be better? Who can give me some advice?
Thanks very much!
thumbnail
Julien Bonjean, modificado hace 12 años.

RE: Velocity or Freemarker, in Liferay? (Respuesta)

Junior Member Mensajes: 57 Fecha de incorporación: 10/06/09 Mensajes recientes
I don't have much experience with Freemarker, but I can say it is currently a bit bugged in Liferay 6.1 (I suppose the integration is still a work in progress), whereas Velocity integration is quite robust.
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, modificado hace 12 años.

RE: Velocity or Freemarker, in Liferay?

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 14918 Fecha de incorporación: 2/09/06 Mensajes recientes
Yeah, Velocity is the current standard for Liferay, but they support FM for templating and it is my understanding that they are planning to move to FM as the standard at some point in the future.

Even if they do make the switch, I'd expect some Velocity support to stay around, considering that most of the current theming work outside of Liferay is Velocity based...
Leo Gong, modificado hace 12 años.

New Member Mensajes: 9 Fecha de incorporación: 3/06/11 Mensajes recientes
Yeah, I also don't have much experience with Freemarker ,even being in trouble when I configure the Freemarker in liferay.
So maybe Velocity is my better choice now, considering all of your advice, but Freemarker would probably be taken into account in our other projects in the future.
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1519 Fecha de incorporación: 7/08/06 Mensajes recientes
Velocity support in Liferay is more mature but we plan on supporting both so it's really matter of your own preference and we'd love to get feedback on how well the Freemarker themes and WCM templates work for you.
thumbnail
Anil Sunkari, modificado hace 12 años.

Expert Mensajes: 427 Fecha de incorporación: 12/08/09 Mensajes recientes
Hi Leo,

I suggest Velocity Template Engine.... as per my experience,it is quite ease in managing/utilizing template & very user friendly.

Regards,
Anil Sunkari
thumbnail
Mika Koivisto, modificado hace 12 años.

Liferay Legend Mensajes: 1519 Fecha de incorporación: 7/08/06 Mensajes recientes
I personally like Freemarker more because it is strict and reports errors in the template really accurately. Velocity just eats up some errors so that you might not even notice that your template is not working as you intended because of a typo in variable name etc.
Hu Jack, modificado hace 10 años.

New Member Mensajes: 3 Fecha de incorporación: 13/06/13 Mensajes recientes
Hello everyone, how about now? I want to use freemarker with liferay, and I'm searching for some relative demos. Do you have some suggestions?
Really thanks.