Radio Liferay Episode 23: Olaf Kock, Well Hidden Features
Company Blogs January 7, 2013 By Olaf Kock Staff
New year's resolution: Publish more podcast episodes. Let's start - Happy New Year, wishing you all the best for 2013...
This is a solo episode with yours truly. I had a lot of fun preparing and presenting this session, "Well Hidden Features", at the european symposium 2012 in Wiesbaden/Germany, as well as in Milano. They both built upon earlier presentations at the nordic and french symposiums and have been used as inspirations for other presentations at the north american as well as the spanish symposium. So, if you were at any of these symposiums, there's a good chance that you've heard some of the content.
Also, if you're working with Liferay for some time, there's another good chance for you to know some of the tipps&tricks already. As I mention at the beginning of the recording: This all is trivial knowledge - but in order to be trivial knowledge, it first has to be known - and I hope there's something in it even for the more experienced among you.
For those who want to read along the slides for this presentation: They can be found on the download page for the european symposium
Some of the topics you'll find in this episode
- Memory Management and configuration
- What to do when operating a bundle
- Neat features for builtin portlets and hacks I use on liferay.com/radio
- My favourite generator for UTF-8 test data
- How to use jQuery within AUI, and how to learn the differences between the two (and YUI)
- Extending Plugins
- two simple checkboxes in eclipse that made me unlearn the most simple and basic things
- A usecase that you did not know about the scripting console (disclaimer: found out that this works only once)
- An easy way to learn how to use the Liferay API to create users, pages, content etc.
- Getting debug information from your running production portal
- Activating some monitoring information
- My 2 cents about http and https and the largely unknown protocol relative URLs
- Places where you didn't expect to find great documentation
- portal-ext.properties caveats and properties that you might not want to keep in their default values
You'll find this episode - and make sure that you don't miss any of the future episodes - by subscribing to the RSS feed, on itunes or with your podcatcher of choice - you'll find all the options on www.liferay.com/radio. And if you want to get notified when the next episode is out, follow @RadioLiferay
And please remember to rate this podcast in your podcast directory of choice and provide feedback here on the episodes as well. Thank you.