Foren

Liferay upgrading from version 5.1.2 to 6.1.1

thumbnail
Abhed Dekavadiya, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay upgrading from version 5.1.2 to 6.1.1

Junior Member Beiträge: 74 Beitrittsdatum: 05.10.10 Neueste Beiträge
Hi,

I want to upgrade a liferay ce portal from version 5.1.2 to 6.1.1 GA2. I tried it by pointing the 6.1.1 bundle to the database (mysql) of 5.1.2 and it failed with errors like table (portalpreferences, resourcepermission) does not exists.
I found below from Liferay's documentation:

As a general rule, you can upgrade from one major release to the next major release. For example, you can upgrade directly from Liferay 5.2.x to 6.0.x, but not from 5.2.x to 6.1.x. If you need to upgrade over several major releases, you’ll need to run the upgrade procedure for each major release until you reach the release you want. This doesn’t mean you need to run the procedure for every point release or service pack; you only need to run the procedure for the major releases. A good practice is to use the latest version of each major release to upgrade your system.

Below (at the end) is history of liferay releases from http://sourceforge.net/projects/lportal/files/Liferay%20Portal/ .
I want to migrate from 5.1.2 to 6.1.1 GA2.

Following the documentation I need to perform below migration steps to upgrade to 6.1.1 GA2. Can anyone, who has done this type of migration, confirm my understanding ? Though I have to try it anyway !

5.1.2 ---> 5.2.3 ---> 6.0.6 ---> 6.1.1 GA2

I wonder why liferay upgrade process cannot handle this the same way it does for major releases (like 5.2.x to 6.0.x). I am not considering migration of plugins (portlet, hook, theme, etc...) here.

6.1.1 GA2 <------------------------ I want to reach here emoticon
6.1.0 GA1
6.1.0 RC1
6.1.0 B4
6.1.0 B3
5.1.2 <------------------------ I am here emoticon

Any early replies will surely help me. I'll keep my findings posted here !

kind regards,
Abhed Dekavadiya
thumbnail
Hitoshi Ozawa, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

RE: Liferay upgrading from version 5.1.2 to 6.1.1

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 7942 Beitrittsdatum: 24.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
Just wanted to point out that if you have any documents in the Document and Media folder, you may need to do some more work because Liferay 5 keeps files in the database file Liferay 6 keeps them in the file system.
thumbnail

Hi Hitoshi,

Thanks for your pointers. I upgraded to 6.1.1 and yes I am facing some issues related to Document & Media, a few are bugs (already reported at Liferay).

regards,
Abhed
thumbnail
Jignesh Vachhani, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 803 Beitrittsdatum: 10.03.08 Neueste Beiträge
Hitoshi Ozawa:
Just wanted to point out that if you have any documents in the Document and Media folder, you may need to do some more work because Liferay 5 keeps files in the database file Liferay 6 keeps them in the file system.

Hi Hitoshi,

What would be difficulty level of migration for 6.0.5 CE to 6.1 EE GA2 ?
Any pointer or helpful guide would be really helpful to me for migration.
thumbnail
Jitendra Rajput, geändert vor 11 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 875 Beitrittsdatum: 07.01.11 Neueste Beiträge
Right now we are also working on upgrade from LR 5.2 SP3 to LR 6.1 GA2 .
Earlier we were following 2 step process to upgrade database (As suggested in Liferay user guilde) .

1) LR 5.2 SP 3 to LR 6.0 EE
2) LR 6,0 EE to R 6. 1 GA2

But after upgrade we were facing issue with specific component(Remote publishing ) . So as suggested by liferay now we are working on direct upgrade from LR 5.2 SP 3 to LR 6.1 GA 2 . Will update you on the same If we are able to achieve this . Mean while you can also give a try by direct upgrade.
thumbnail

Jitendra Rajput:
So as suggested by liferay now we are working on direct upgrade from LR 5.2 SP 3 to LR 6.1 GA 2 . Will update you on the same If we are able to achieve this . Mean while you can also give a try by direct upgrade.

Well, this direct upgrade feature could be available to EE only and not CE emoticon . I am not aware of how to do a direct upgrade.
Radhakrishna Meduri, geändert vor 10 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 22 Beitrittsdatum: 05.12.11 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Abhed,

Are yo using EE version of liferay?

Thanks
Radhakrishna
thumbnail
Abhed Dekavadiya, geändert vor 10 Jahren.

Radhakrishna Meduri:

Are yo using EE version of liferay?

No, I had done it with CE version.
thumbnail

Below are brief steps for the upgrade I have performed.
Note: All steps could not be generic, some steps could be specific to the way of my Liferay installation/setup emoticon

#############################
## Upgrade from 512 to 523
1. Backup liferay-512 database.
2. setup liferay-523 bundle. Delete all extra (except ROOT and tunnel-web) plugins from tomcat/webapps.
3. copy all plugins in tomcat/webapps
4. copy portal-ext.properties and system-ext.properties tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes
5. Merge all portal-legacy-5.1.properties into portal-ext.properties. Comment path related properties so they can be pointed to /data/ folder.
6. Copy liferay/jackrabbit and liferay/lucene folders from user's folder to liferay-home/data/ folder.
7. Execute below queries in database for a bug https://issues.liferay.com/browse/LPS-5498

update Group_ set classNameId = (select classNameId from classname_ where value = 'com.liferay.portal.model.Group') where friendlyURL = '/guest';
update Group_ set classPK = groupId  where friendlyURL = '/guest';
commit;

8. Point liferay-523 to existing mysql database of liferay-512: Copy Resource and mail configuration from liferay-512/tomcat/conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml to liferay-523/tomcat/conf/context.xml. Add JNDI property for database to portal-ext.properties.
9. Perform changes in theme as suggested by liferay. Refer "Upgrading From Liferay 5.1 to Liferay 5.2" from documentation page http://www.liferay.com/documentation/liferay-portal/5.2/administration/-/ai/upgrading-liferay-1
10. Start the server.

## Upgrade from 523 to 606

1. Backup liferay-523 database.
2. Setup liferay-606 bundle.
3. copy all plugins in tomcat/webapps.
4. Update plugins for version 606. Specifically configuration files of theme.
5. copy portal-ext.properties and system-ext.properties in tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes
6. Merge all portal-legacy-5.2.properties into portal-ext.properties. Specifically the property permissions.user.check.algorithm=5 is important.
7. Copy /data/jackrabbit and /data/lucene folders from 523 bundle to 606 bundle.
8. Point liferay-606 to existing mysql database of liferay-523:
Copy Resource and mail configuration from liferay-523/tomcat/conf/context.xml to liferay-606/tomcat/conf/context.xml. Verify that JNDI property in portal-ext.properties is pointing to correct database.
9. Also refer "Upgrading From Liferay 5.2 to Liferay 6.0" from http://www.liferay.com/documentation/liferay-portal/6.0/administration/-/ai/upgrading-lifer-4
10. Start the server.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
++ Upgrade permission algorithm from 5 to 6
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Backup liferay-606 database.
2. Execute permission algorithm migration from 5 to 6.
3. Set permissions.user.check.algorithm=6 in portal-ext.properties.
4. Restart the server and perform quick verification on permissions.

## Upgrade from 606 to 611

1. Backup liferay-606 database.
2. Setup liferay-611-GA2 bundle. Have a look at step-12 also, but you can try your luck emoticon
3. Copy all plugins in tomcat/webapps.
4. Upgrade plugins for version 611.
5. Copy portal-ext.properties and system-ext.properties in tomcat/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes.
6. Merge all portal-legacy-6.0.properties into portal-ext.properties. Make sure that image.hook.impl is set to the value of your 606 bundle, so it can be upgraded to 'document and media'. Some property name & value (related to document library and image gallery) have been modified/renamed.

Like, Replace the property
dl.hook.impl=com.liferay.documentlibrary.util.JCRHook
by (as the property name & value has been changed in Liferay-6.1.1)
dl.store.impl=com.liferay.portlet.documentlibrary.store.JCRStore

7. Copy /data/jackrabbit and /data/lucene folders from 606 bundle to 611 bundle.
8. Point liferay-611 to existing mysql database of liferay-606:
Copy Resource and mail configuration from liferay-606/tomcat/conf/context.xml to liferay-611/tomcat/conf/context.xml. Verify that JNDI property in portal-ext.properties is pointing to correct database.
9. Start the server. Perform some random checks.
10. Remove the property "image.hook.impl" from portal-ext.properties and restart the server.
11. Issue with upgrade of Blogs. The attribute Status doesn't have any value in BlogsEntry table, that's why blogs are not displayed in "Blogs Aggregator Portlet". Set it to approved status. [Liferay Bug or issue specific to my upgrade]

update BlogsEntry set status = 0;
commit;

12. There were some errors related to static data creation for new Document & Media, as stated below. I wonder why Liferay does this on server startup, rather than populating the values as part of upgrade process ! To get rid of this issue, I had to replace my liferay bundle with this one: https://www.lcepatchers.org/downloads. In this patched bundle, the defect is fixed.

14:03:10,962 ERROR [pool-2-thread-1][PortalInstances:468] com.liferay.portal.kernel.events.ActionException: com.liferay.portlet.dynamicdatamapping.StructureNameException
com.liferay.portal.kernel.events.ActionException: com.liferay.portlet.dynamicdatamapping.StructureNameException
	at com.liferay.portal.events.AddDefaultDocumentLibraryStructuresAction.run(AddDefaultDocumentLibraryStructuresAction.java:64)

------------------------------------------------------- The End emoticon -------------------------------------------------------

Isn't it very quick emoticon

cheers,
Abhed