Foren

internal hosting or external hosting

phanikumar manchala, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

internal hosting or external hosting

New Member Beiträge: 11 Beitrittsdatum: 04.04.14 Neueste Beiträge
Hi all,
I have some 50 videos which are around 200 MB size which i need to play on an internal portal, which is going to be developed on Liferay7

which is the better way of hosting the videos?

storing all the videos is app server data/resources folder or storing videos in external repository like s3 or rendering videos from youtube?
I know app server storage is a bad idea, but please suggest in terms of performance and speed of rendering the page.

Thanks
Phani
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

RE: internal hosting or external hosting

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6403 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
phanikumar manchala:
I have some 50 videos which are around 200 MB size which i need to play on an internal portal, which is going to be developed on Liferay7

It depends: Do you want to offer the videos for download, or do you want to stream them on the page: Liferay's Documents and Media provides the files it stores for Download. Any streaming server will keep several versions of the video you offer for the various bandwidths and devices, sometimes dynamically changing the delivered resolution mid-stream. This can be done on an external streaming server or streaming host.

Hi Olaf Kock,
Thanks for quick response,
I am not giving an option of download, i will just give option of playing the video.

so can you please suggest which will be efficient way of achieving this task.
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 3089 Beitrittsdatum: 28.10.08 Neueste Beiträge
You can always enable Xuggler from Control Panel (https://dev.liferay.com/discover/portal/-/knowledge_base/7-0/publishing-basic-web-content. Then, when uploading videos, Liferay will generate an mp4 and ogv files (you can configure this by changing dl.file.entry.preview.video.containers property in portal-ext). This generated videos will be optimized to be played by any browser with efficient seek capability (thanks to the usage of HTTP Partial Content where only the needed video part is sent).

You can add this videos in a Web Content or play them within an Asset publisher (with full content enabled).

EDIT: Liferay implements HTML5 video player, so these videos can be played by mobile devices too.

Hi Juan Gonzalez,
Thanks for the response,
so you mean to say, i can upload the video files in document and media folder of liferay, and can play it through Xuggler in an efficient way than from external hosting like youtube ?

correct me if i am wrong.
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 3089 Beitrittsdatum: 28.10.08 Neueste Beiträge
phanikumar manchala:
Hi Juan Gonzalez,
Thanks for the response,
so you mean to say, i can upload the video files in document and media folder of liferay, and can play it through Xuggler in an efficient way than from external hosting like youtube ?

correct me if i am wrong.

Well, actually you "don "play through Xuggler". Xuggler just transforms your video so it can be playable and seekable through a web page.

If it's more efficient comparing to hosting in youtube, that depends on other factors (storage, permissions, bandwith, proxy..).

Olaf Kock:

Ok, I've simplified a bit too much: When I'm on a mobile EDGE connection, I'd prefer the 240p video, which may automatically change to 1080p once I'm on LTE or a wired connection (and vice versa). It's not only the "seek" but also the alternative resolution that I have in mind when I'm referring to external video streaming host.

That being said, there's a point for transparently uploading videos from document library to a video streaming host, which can do the re-encoding for various resolutions - this way you keep your own data but utilize the services externally. I'm not aware of re-encoding services and dynamic resolution choices within Liferay (other than the preview generation through xuggler)

It's possible to configure the video quality for Liferay video previews. BUT this won't be adaptative depending on device (this is planned to be implemented). So, you will have the same quality for all devices.

Another advantage of using Liferay document library would be permission issues, as you control what could be viewed or not, without depending on other external systems that you need to keep in sync.
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6403 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
Juan Gonzalez:
...This generated videos will be optimized to be played by any browser...

Ok, I've simplified a bit too much: When I'm on a mobile EDGE connection, I'd prefer the 240p video, which may automatically change to 1080p once I'm on LTE or a wired connection (and vice versa). It's not only the "seek" but also the alternative resolution that I have in mind when I'm referring to external video streaming host.

That being said, there's a point for transparently uploading videos from document library to a video streaming host, which can do the re-encoding for various resolutions - this way you keep your own data but utilize the services externally. I'm not aware of re-encoding services and dynamic resolution choices within Liferay (other than the preview generation through xuggler)