Foren

Liferay 7 GA4?

thumbnail
William Gosse, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

Liferay 7 GA4?

Liferay Master Beiträge: 533 Beitrittsdatum: 04.07.10 Neueste Beiträge
Does anyone know when Liferay 7 GA4 will be ready?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

RE: Liferay 7 GA4?

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14919 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
Not sure, they don't really announce those in advance, most of us just find them by stumbling into source forge and finding it there.
thumbnail

Thanks David,

We just deployed a small internal app Liferay 7 GA3.

But it sounds like we are going to use DXP for our next project anyway because we will need Oracle and cluster support.
thumbnail
Jamie Sammons, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

Expert Beiträge: 301 Beitrittsdatum: 05.09.14 Neueste Beiträge
Liferay CE releases normally follow a 6 month cadence (unless there is an important reason to release earlier). Is there something specific in GA3 that you were hoping to have fixed in GA4?
Kim Zeevaarders, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 82 Beitrittsdatum: 07.09.12 Neueste Beiträge
Jamie Sammons:
Is there something specific in GA3 that you were hoping to have fixed in GA4?

I am very desperately waiting for Liferay to fix its WEBDAV problems. Currently we are losing important documents due to multiple errors when accessing the DL over WEBDAV. The WEBDAV functionality worked superb in LR6 but seems very much broken in LR7.

If I had known all the problems we've had since upgrading to LR7 beforehand, we would have NEVER done the upgrade. In my opinion LR7GA3 is not even near production readiness in the state it is currently in.

Have a look at this forum post describing one of the biggest problems we have with LR7 WEBDAV functionality at the moment: https://web.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/83352878
thumbnail
Wouter Vernaillen, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 80 Beitrittsdatum: 06.06.09 Neueste Beiträge
Hi Jamie,

If the 6 month cadence is honoured, then GA4 should be out next week, cause GA3 came out on 2016-08-16. Can we expect it that soon?

Thanks,
Wouter
thumbnail

Roughly 6 months, not exact.

If you need sooner updates, you may want to take a look at DXP.
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 3089 Beitrittsdatum: 28.10.08 Neueste Beiträge
Wouter Vernaillen:
Hi Jamie,

If the 6 month cadence is honoured, then GA4 should be out next week, cause GA3 came out on 2016-08-16. Can we expect it that soon?

Thanks,
Wouter

Yes, I think I can't make that date public, but only few weeks left.
thumbnail

Hi Wouter,

Indeed we are getting close. We have a few dependencies that we need to complete before we can release GA4. Current heading has it coming in early March assuming we don't hit any major bumps in the road.

-Jamie
thumbnail

Thanks a lot for the confirmation, Jamie! Glad to hear that you're getting close to a release!

Jamie Sammons:

Indeed we are getting close. We have a few dependencies that we need to complete before we can release GA4. Current heading has it coming in early March assuming we don't hit any major bumps in the road.
thumbnail
Marco Endres, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

Regular Member Beiträge: 112 Beitrittsdatum: 22.08.12 Neueste Beiträge
Hey Jamie

It looks like you hit a major bumb right?

Greetings

Marco Endres
thumbnail

Are we ever going to get a GA4 release? It used to be that we never really took thing seriously till we got to GA4.
thumbnail

No release date has been set and I believe the list of tickets is still kind of long. Likely they are trying to knock out the major ones before getting a new release.

Come meet me at the 2017 LSNA!
thumbnail
Severin Rohner, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 43 Beitrittsdatum: 28.01.14 Neueste Beiträge
Hi David
Thanks lot for the update.
This are very bad news. The current Liferay 7 GA 3 is nice, but not a enterprise framework, there are to many bugs! I don't see a good trend for Liferay, no updates, no fixes, no cluster support, no progress in Metal JS, ...
I really hope that Liferay get it's power back.

Cheers Severin
thumbnail

Hello everyone, GA4 is waiting on massive updates going in for stability purposes and proper testing. These improvements were vast enough we didn’t want to have everyone wait for GA5 for them. I’m sorry for the inconvenience. Hopefully it won’t be much longer now.
thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

Jamie Sammons:
Hello everyone, GA4 is waiting on massive updates going in for stability purposes and proper testing. These improvements were vast enough we didn’t want to have everyone wait for GA5 for them. I’m sorry for the inconvenience. Hopefully it won’t be much longer now.

These are great news! I've seen a lot of improvements recently, so that little wait will have a great gain for this version.
thumbnail
Benjamin Bini, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 31 Beitrittsdatum: 24.05.13 Neueste Beiträge
Thanks for your work and your answer.

Is it possible to have any insight about what is going to be in this release?
thumbnail

Jamie Sammons:

Juan Gonzalez:
These are great news! I've seen a lot of improvements recently, so that little wait will have a great gain for this version.

Sounds very good! Looking forward to it emoticon
thumbnail

Cool! Thanks for the update.
thumbnail

thumbnail

Okay, I don't know that I'm supposed to be the one to announce this, but here goes anyways...

GA4 has been delayed while Liferay has been working to resolve some big ticket items:

• Re-introduction of the EXT plugin support. EXT plugin was eliminated in 7.0 as initially it was thought that an EXT was no longer necessary. This proved not to be the case for classes that were not yet updated to support an OSGi form of override.
  • WAR->WAB conversion issues. WAR->WAB conversion is necessary for all WAR-based portlet deployments to Liferay 7; some issues have been found with the WAR->WAB handling and they are seen as critical path items.

There has been talk re: April, some for May, I honestly don't know when the release will be cut. I know it's dependent upon those two items at the least, but I also know that any other "big" items that are reported, either via issues.liferay.com or via customer LESA tickets, are going to be additional determining factors on when the release will be cut.

I've been letting everyone know that the community is waiting for the GA4 release and they are frustrated on the lack of communication related to the delays. It's known that the release is delayed and the community is waiting, but they are trying to get a solid release out for GA4.

thumbnail
William Gosse, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

Thanks David, this is very helpful.
thumbnail

thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

Love your persistence, William, but I'm not sure it will change things...

thumbnail
Juan Gonzalez, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

David H Nebinger:
Love your persistence, William, but I'm not sure it will change things...

He just asked if someone knew the release date. That kind of information can change over time for sure.
thumbnail

Yep, and I really do respect his persistence on this!

Unfortunately I think the list of things to work on is known and being addressed, but they're likely not to release until they're ready.

I don't have any further details on the potential release or what the current holdups are.

thumbnail

David H Nebinger:

I don't have any further details on the potential release or what the current holdups are.

I think that answers the question.

Thanks David!
thumbnail
Jamie Sammons, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

Hi William, just a little longer now. I appreciate your patience and I think it will be worth the wait. I would be more specific on the when but that always seems to back fire on me. emoticon
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6403 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
Jamie Sammons:
I would be more specific on the when but that always seems to back fire on me. emoticon

Memories

/o\
thumbnail

Awesome! Thanks! emoticon

One other quick question. Will any of the changes going into GA4 be affecting DXP? I'm using that as well and just updated to fix pack 14 which I'm told is sp2 or 3?

This probably not an appropriate question for this forum but I'm planning for a large corporate infrastructure project in the up coming month and an answer would be helpful.

Thanks again.
thumbnail

William Gosse:
Awesome! Thanks! emoticon

One other quick question. Will any of the changes going into GA4 be affecting DXP? I'm using that as well and just updated to fix pack 14 which I'm told is sp2 or 3?

This probably not an appropriate question for this forum but I'm planning for a large corporate infrastructure project in the up coming month and an answer would be helpful.

Thanks again.

Everything that goes into a Liferay CE version was introduced in a fixpack before, but not the other way around.
thumbnail

William Gosse:
Will any of the changes going into GA4 be affecting DXP? I'm using that as well and just updated to fix pack 14 which I'm told is sp2 or 3?

DXP + fixpacks will always be more up to date than any of the GAs. And FP14 is SP2, SP3 just came out and that should be FP15.

thumbnail

Great thanks for both your answers.
thumbnail

I've almost given up all hope of ever seeing Liferay 7 GA4, even thoughI still keep checking sourceforge every day on the outside chance that it might actually be finally added there .
thumbnail
Wouter Vernaillen, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

William Gosse:
I've almost given up all hope of ever seeing Liferay 7 GA4, even thoughI still keep checking sourceforge every day on the outside chance that it might actually be finally added there .

Same here emoticon
thumbnail

It has been a rough road to the release of GA4. There have been issues in the build process and large scale bugs that we’ve considered blockers to the release. We are currently testing DXP FP19 which if all goes well will be the basis for CE GA4. I really do hope this is it because it is way overdue. I know it can be frustrating waiting on something that should of come out months ago and I’m very sorry for all of the delays.
thumbnail

Wouter Vernaillen:
William Gosse:

Same here emoticon

I'm as frustrated as both of you. Not so much because of the delays (I know what they are from), but from the lack of any real communication with the community about this. I mean, you might not like hearing it's delayed another week because this piece failed review or that piece failed testing or this other piece isn't done yet, but at least you could get some comfort in the message that it is coming and they are doing their best to make it great.

That said, all I can say is that it is not done yet, I don't know when it will actually be ready, but they are trying to make it great.

thumbnail
Andrew Jardine, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 2416 Beitrittsdatum: 22.12.10 Neueste Beiträge
I'm with all of you on this one -- but if it means that the GA4 release is going to be a much higher quality than some of the past ones were then I am willing to wait a little longer. Unfortunately this has led to me to execute several projects using 6.2 despite the fact that I would have loved to have tackled them with 7. I suppose the one silver lining in all of this might be all that practice we'll get upgrading emoticon
thumbnail

Yes it will be totally awesome if GA4 is totally great with no major new issue introduced. Someone once told me that Liferay really isn't production until GA4. I think it was you David who said that and I've always used that as I guide. That said I did release a small project on GA3 into production.

Also I have been doing several POCs on DXP, which are running on the latest fix pack . DXP does looks very clean and stable right now so hopefully GA4 will be the benefit of that.
thumbnail

I've done afew pet projects with GA3, GA2 even. Really it all seems to come down to whether or not you wander into an area of the portal that isn't as rock solid as you need it to be. Technically, it is possible to walk across a mine field without injury -- if you have the right path emoticon
thumbnail

William Gosse:
Someone once told me that Liferay really isn't production until GA4. I think it was you David who said that and I've always used that as I guide.

Well, I don't think I used GA4 as a guide, normally I say "wait a year after release" kind of thing because, in the past, this has proven to be a good rule of thumb to allow others to work the kinks out. It would have been true this time only if GA4 had come out much sooner emoticon

thumbnail

A new GA4 folder was created in Sourceforge today but its empty. Hopefully this is a sign that a new release is coming shortly.
thumbnail
Christoph Rabel, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 1554 Beitrittsdatum: 24.09.09 Neueste Beiträge
According to the chat, files are uploaded now emoticon
thumbnail

I just downloaded it about a hour ago so it's there for sure now! So far I have been able to install it without issue, so we're off to a good start ;)
thumbnail
Jack Bakker, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

Liferay Master Beiträge: 978 Beitrittsdatum: 03.01.10 Neueste Beiträge
I learned recently that lemmings running off of cliffs en masse is a myth (where a myth is what false news becomes if the delusion persists over time in a community).

Good news ! I've installed it too. How exciting ?
thumbnail

Yahoo!!!
thumbnail

Official announcement here.
Thanks everyone for bearing with us as we worked to get this one out!
thumbnail

Bummer about the EXT not being there. Any chance that GA5 will coincide with the clustering module at the end of summer timeframe?
thumbnail
Benjamin Bini, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 31 Beitrittsdatum: 24.05.13 Neueste Beiträge
Congratulations for the hard work!

Can you please explain what is the upgrade process from GA3 ? I see the upgrade from 6.2 in the docs but not from GA3.

Thank you again.
thumbnail

In my case I just used some of the bits and pieces from the page (I assume) you are referenceing -- https://dev.liferay.com/discover/deployment/-/knowledge_base/7-0/upgrading-to-liferay-7

1. Make a backup of your existing database
2. Point your GA4 install to the GA3 database
3. Disable indexing
4. Run the db upgrade tool (LIFERAY_HOME/tools/portal-tools-db-upgrade-client/java -jar com.liferay.portal.tools.db.upgrade.client.jar)
5. Start it up -- if everything look good, enable indexing.

Most of the stuff on that page didn't apply to me but my GA3 was a pretty small migration -- really just what I was using to learn more about how to do things in 7 and discover the differences between it and 6.2.
thumbnail
Orin Fink, geändert vor 6 Jahren.

Junior Member Beiträge: 65 Beitrittsdatum: 25.03.10 Neueste Beiträge
I had a "not found" message from that link Jamie... but I did find it here. Great to hear the news regarding this release.

https://web.liferay.com/web/jamie.sammons/blog/-/blogs/liferay-portal-7-0-ce-ga4-release-update-06-28-2017