Foren

Liferay 7, can start a clean GA2, can't start clean GA3

thumbnail
Jack Bakker, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

Liferay 7, can start a clean GA2, can't start clean GA3

Liferay Master Beiträge: 978 Beitrittsdatum: 03.01.10 Neueste Beiträge
A clean (and fresh) GA2 starts fine, a clean GA3 does not

18:46:03,031 INFO [Start Level: Equinox Container: 4001771f-f58b-0016-1459-9b17edd91f36][BundleStartStopLogger:35] STARTED com.liferay.util.taglib_2.4.1 [1]
06-Oct-2016 18:46:03.034 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.listenerStart Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class com.liferay.portal.spring.context.PortalContextLoaderListener
java.lang.RuntimeException: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: com.liferay.portal.kernel.process.TerminationProcessException: Subprocess terminated with exit code 1

I have attached stack trace as ga3_startup.txt

ideas ?
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

RE: Liferay 7, can start a clean GA2, can't start clean GA3

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14914 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
JAVA_HOME should be set to the JDK directory, not the JRE subdirectory.

The failure itself appears to be in the launching of the lpkg verification process, this is invoked by java and uses util-taglib.jar to verify the lpkg files.
thumbnail

jbakker@masterdev:/usr/lib/jvm$ echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/lib/jvm/java-8-sun
jbakker@masterdev:/usr/lib/jvm$ ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 Oct 6 11:19 java-8-sun -> jdk1.8.0_101
thumbnail

found it

on my Ubuntu 14.04, /usr/bin/java was pointing to a /etc/alternatives/java which was pointing to a java 7 ; all good after updating to point to a /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-sun/jre/bin/java

sudo update-alternatives --config java

or if that doesn't work, update the /etc/alternatives/java symbolic link yourself
thumbnail
David H Nebinger, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 14914 Beitrittsdatum: 02.09.06 Neueste Beiträge
Aha, so it's you're fault!

At first I thought that's funny, because the snippet of log you posted seemed to indicate that it was running java 8...

But if JAVA_HOME actually pointed to a java 7 sdk and the process was just launching "java", that might have gotten you the wrong jdk...
thumbnail

the log did indicate it was running java 8
and JAVA_HOME was pointing to java 8
but PATH had /usr/bin and /usr/bin/java is a symlink to /etc/alternatives/java which was a symlink to a java 7 but now is a happy symlink to java 8

'the process', yep

also note the subject of this post, which was also true
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6396 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
I ran into this issue yesterday on DXP FP5: Liferay seems to start a second Java process by just spinning up whatever is named "java", not taking care of JAVA_HOME. I needed to tweak/link the global system's java to the same JVM that I was using for running Liferay and it worked. Not sure if there's already an issue for it, definitely not a nice or expected behaviour. I'm assuming that not too many will run into this issue, but on Linux it might be more prevalent as older OpenJDK JVMs might be preinstalled/available through the OS.

I haven't yet looked for an issue, as I just ran into it and was happy to have fixed it in time for end-of-business-day.
thumbnail

Yesterday.. all my tribbles seemed so far away...

Oh look.. a hurricane.

Joking aside, best wishes to those on EAST coast of US. Stay safe.
Nicolas Ballinas, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 7 Beitrittsdatum: 28.03.12 Neueste Beiträge
Olaf Kock:
I ran into this issue yesterday on DXP FP5: Liferay seems to start a second Java process by just spinning up whatever is named "java", not taking care of JAVA_HOME. I needed to tweak/link the global system's java to the same JVM that I was using for running Liferay and it worked. Not sure if there's already an issue for it, definitely not a nice or expected behaviour. I'm assuming that not too many will run into this issue, but on Linux it might be more prevalent as older OpenJDK JVMs might be preinstalled/available through the OS.

I haven't yet looked for an issue, as I just ran into it and was happy to have fixed it in time for end-of-business-day.

Thank you for the solution! We were stuck on GA2 because we couldn't get GA3 to run, and now that you mention it it all makes sense. We were doing all our tests by defining JAVA_HOME in standalone.conf only, but still having Java1.7 as system default. With GA2 this would work, but not GA3.

Time to upgrade!
Beatriz Blanco, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

New Member Beiträge: 3 Beitrittsdatum: 09.05.13 Neueste Beiträge
Thanks a lot!! We had the same problem and we were able to fix it with your post. Regards from Spain ;)