Foren

Install Liferay 6.2 EE Server on Eclipse

Fernando Zapata, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

Install Liferay 6.2 EE Server on Eclipse

New Member Beiträge: 3 Beitrittsdatum: 22.08.16 Neueste Beiträge
Hello guys,

I started to work on liferay a few weeks ago, and now i’am stuck on a challenging task. My company works with a customized Eclipse version, so we need to install a Liferay 6.2 EE server on the custom Eclipse, but searching on the internet I haven’t found any information about this (all the post says it can’t be done, because we have to use Liferay IDE on the 6.2 EE version).
So I’am working on a workaround on this problem, I finally setup an EE server on Eclipse but I’am sure it’s not the right way to do it.
This is the workaround:

1. Create a New Liferay 6.2 CE server.

2. Change the tomcat directory for the directory with Liferay 6.2 EE

3. Change the files for the ones in the EE Bundle (I Think the problem here is the source location, I only found the liferay- plugins-sdk-6.2-ee and I’m pretty sure it’s not the same)

4. Finally, finish and the server is ready…

After this I start the server, add some portlets and everything works OK (I’am sure the server at least is EE because I need to add the license on the configuration)
Well that’s my silly solution, to my not so silly problem. I’ll really appreciate any help you guys can give me on this, if there is really a way to do this on Eclipse or some sort of official answer to share with my boss about this.

Thank you guys for reading.
thumbnail
Olaf Kock, geändert vor 7 Jahren.

RE: Install Liferay 6.2 EE Server on Eclipse

Liferay Legend Beiträge: 6403 Beitrittsdatum: 23.09.08 Neueste Beiträge
Fernando Zapata:
After this I start the server, add some portlets and everything works OK
I’ll really appreciate any help you guys can give me on this, if there is really a way to do this on Eclipse ...

You're describing how to install Liferay on Eclipse (seems like Liferay IDE or DevStudio is involved) and you state that everything is ok. I might have missed your exact question, because I don't understand what you're asking for as it all works.

You can also install on plain eclipse - in that case you might only want to configure the server as Tomcat (in case you're running the bundle). After all, this will run tomcat, which will run all deployed applications. But you're probably running it in Eclipse, because you want to do some development work - and that will definitely be more comfortable if you're running with Liferay-awareness, e.g. with Liferay IDE or DevStudio. Those are all plugins that should install on your customized eclipse installation anyway - so I don't see a problem. If there indeed is a problem, you'll need to point it out more clearly for me to get it.

Thank you Olaf, it seems that i didn't explain my problem properly.

My problem is install a Liferay 6.2 EE Server on a custom Eclipse IDE (Not Liferay IDE or Dev Studio), the steps i previously described where my first attempt to do that, but i'am not sure if that's all that i need to do, or do i need to do something else to start working on a Liferay EE server on Eclipse.

We'll only make portlets and a few Hooks so i want to know if with the steps i previously described i'll be able to do that on my eclipse.

Thank you for your time.
thumbnail

Fernando Zapata:
My problem is install a Liferay 6.2 EE Server on a custom Eclipse IDE (Not Liferay IDE or Dev Studio), the steps i previously described where my first attempt to do that, but i'am not sure if that's all that i need to do, or do i need to do something else to start working on a Liferay EE server on Eclipse.

Hm - let me rephrase that (I'm rephrasing drastically, to make my point, not to upset you - I hope it's not offending)

"I'd like to install Liferay on an Eclipse with undisclosed custom plugins and I'm not able or willing to install other plugins (like Liferay IDE plugins) on this undisclosed eclipse configuration."

Combine this with the screenshots that imply that your eclipse already has some knowledge of Liferay (probably from Liferay IDE or DevStudio plugins), I'm totally puzzled about the setup that you'd like to install Liferay on. Eclipse is an ecosystem for plugins, and if you can't install more plugins to eclipse, please give reasons. Or just install/run Liferay as "Tomcat" and utilize ant to build/deploy. It's less convenient but works as well.

Olaf Kock:

Hm - let me rephrase that (I'm rephrasing drastically, to make my point, not to upset you - I hope it's not offending)

Not at all Olaf, in fact i'am very grateful with your help and patience; also english its not my first language, so probably the issue hasn't been properly described.

Let me explain what i have right now, what i can't do and what i need to do:

What i have:
I Have a Eclipse IDE With Plugin X, Plugin Y, Plugin Z and a Liferay 6.2 CE Server.

What i can't do:
I can't use Liferay IDE or Dev Studio because we won't get support for the Plugins X,Y and Z (Also my company isn't happy with the idea of changing the IDE)

What i need:
I need to develop portlets and hooks on Liferay 6.2 EE.
I need to install a Liferay 6.2 EE Server in the same IDE, with Plugin X, Plugin Y and plugin Z.

I want to know if the steps i previously described on the first post will let me work with portlets and hooks without any problem on the EE server, I'am not sure if the steps i described are right because i read online that you can't install a Liferay 6.2 EE Server on Eclipse, because you need to use Liferay IDE.(Also read that the Plugins for Liferay on Eclipse work only for CE Edition, not EE)

Thank you again for your time.
thumbnail

ok, we're coming closer. It's still an undisclosed environment - funny that someone builds their toolset on an extensible platform and then effectively forbids extending that platform. Well, if that's what you have to deal with... let's see what we can do:

First of all, AFAIK Liferay IDE works with EE and CE (but I might be wrong there). There's also DevStudio that explicitly requires Liferay EE and is comparable to IDE (very similar codebase, more features, more supported Appservers)

If your version of eclipse, with the supported plugins, explicitly supports configuring a Liferay Server, go with it. I don't know where exactly this support is coming from, but I'm suspecting that it's Liferay IDE / DevStudio, so the odds are that your installation does not support to install a Liferay server. This is not a problem - especially when you can't use the IDE/DevStudio features anyway: You can simply install a Tomcat server (hoping that this is supported in your setup) and point tomcat's home directory to the Liferay/Tomcat bundle. Make sure that Liferay and the globally configured libraries (tomcat/lib/ext) are picked up by starting this server. Liferay should come up.

If I remember correctly there are several ways to configure tomcat in eclipse - in the workspace, or in place, where you originally installed it. I'd recommend to use the original installation directory.

When you are working with the plugins SDK, configure it (build.yourusername.properties) to point to your tomcat installation and just use the ant-tasks from your project to deploy to tomcat. You'll need to do this explicitly when you want to update - Liferay IDE and DevStudio would automatically deploy any new code upon changes.

According to Eclipse, you'd just run a tomcat. Don't directly deploy your plugins to this tomcat, but go through "ant deploy" of Liferay's Plugins SDK", because that deployment process processes and injects the newly deployed plugins.

And complain to your vendor of Plugins X, Y and Z for denying you to utilize the power of the platform of their choice.